Page 17 of 17  •  Prev 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17
Switch to Forum Live View Vegans unable to deal with reality
6 years ago  ::  Mar 12, 2009 - 4:27PM #161
solfeggio

bluehorse -

Have you seen the film 'The Jane Austen Book Club'?  You remind me of the character played by Maria Bello who refuses to read the science fiction books recommended by her friend, because she only reads books about 'real' people.  In the end, she does finally read them and is glad she did, because they introduce her to a new world of fiction.  And the same thing applies to books about the paranormal, which is far from dealing only with flying saucers and spiritualism.

I've got a home library of books we've collected over the years dealing with all aspects of the paranormal, by respected people like Deepak Chopra, and scientists Fred Alan Wolf, Targ and Puthoff, Michael Talbot, and Rupert Sheldrake, among many others with impeccable credentials.

And I'm not talking about such silliness as Houdini's mother, toast in the shape of Jesus, or crop circles, either. 

Anyway, I'll recommend one more book, and then that will be it.  As a dog lover, you might want to take a look at this one by Rupert Sheldrake: 'Dogs That Know When Their Owners Are Coming Home and Other Unexplained Powers of Animals.'

I don't expect that you will look at it, but you might keep it in mind.

BTW:

I do agree with you religious fundamentalism (at least in the U.S., where 42% of the population really does believe that the earth is only 6000 years old and that humans always existed in their present form) is a very scary proposition.  On the other hand, I just saw a news report that fewer people are going to church in America these days, down from 86% ten years ago to 76% now.  It's still 'way too many people, but maybe it is a promising trend.

Global warming?  Yes, equally scary, but facts must be faced, and it looks like it is well and truly upon us and will have to be dealt with one way or another. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 12, 2009 - 6:07PM #162
bluehorserunning

Solf-

I love science fiction and fantasy.  I spend more on books than I do on food.  And I will look up that book; I have a dog-friend who has pretty much every dog book in existence, so there's a good chance that I could borrow it from her.  I have read reviews of that book that offer some fairly easy explanations for at least two of the cases in it, but most books are worth at least looking at.

edit:  No, I haven't seen that movie.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 17 of 17  •  Prev 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook