Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
6 years ago  ::  May 28, 2008 - 10:14AM #1
Beautiful_Dreamer
I was looking on www.religioustolerance.org 's section on the death penalty and came up with a question.

I have heard some proponents of the death penalty say that it is a 'deterrent' for crime. But is it really? According to the website I mentioned above:

"The homicide rate in those states with the death penalty is almost double the rate in states without the death penalty. It is not known whether this is due to:
-People in high-homicide states demanding the death penalty as a perceived deterrent, or
-[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Use of the death penalty by the state cheapens the value of life, and causes a higher homicide rate, or[/FONT]
-[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Some other reason."[/FONT]

Granted, the authors of this site do state in their belief statement that they are against the death penalty, but they usually do an okay job of presenting things without interjecting their own opinions. I could be missing something on this, though. Here is the Wikipedia article on it, with several other links from the same site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_penalty
From what I have seen, Wiki usually tries to avoid bias.

So, do you think the death penalty is a deterrent? To be honest, I don't know. But I don't really think so because it tends to be assigned fairly unevenly. If a person thinks or sees that the penalty isn't assigned consistently for whatever crime and is therefore not a guarantee, they aren't likely to see it as a deterrent.  What do you think?
More where that came from...

Writing I get paid to do

Beliefnet Community Host - Christian Faith and Life, Christian to Christian Debate
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 28, 2008 - 10:20AM #2
Tmarie64
I don't know that it was designed to be a deterrent.  I don't think it is right now because death row inmates usually live to ripe old ages on death row with all the appeals, etc.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 29, 2008 - 9:49AM #3
Beautiful_Dreamer

Tmarie64 wrote:

I don't know that it was designed to be a deterrent. I don't think it is right now because death row inmates usually live to ripe old ages on death row with all the appeals, etc.

I don't know that it was either, but I hear that argument from several people who are pro-DP.

More where that came from...

Writing I get paid to do

Beliefnet Community Host - Christian Faith and Life, Christian to Christian Debate
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 29, 2008 - 10:05AM #4
Tmarie64
You'll never hear that from me.  I believe... You kill someone in cold blood, the state should kill you back.
I really don't care if it's a deterrent or not.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 30, 2008 - 8:40AM #5
bubbysmommy
[COLOR="Blue"]A deterrent? I don't think so. I am in favor of the DP in some cases & you will never hear me say that. It is about exacting punishment. If you kill an innocent person in cold blood, you should expect no less. Quite simple really, until you start dealing with innocent people being handed a death sentence. So, at the end of the day, while I do believe that we need to keep the DP intact, I also believe that there must be an incredibly high burden of proof when seeking the DP. If that burden is met, there would be little need for more than one quick appeal & these monsters would not be sitting on death row until they die of natural causes, eating up our hard earned tax dollars. On the same note, we should not be imposing life sentences on non violent offenders. Their talents so to speak can be put to use serving the public. Therefore, earning their keep while they are serving their sentence. Of course, this is just my own humble opinion.  [/COLOR]
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2008 - 6:18PM #6
nillawafer
i was enrolled in a community based corrections program 30 years ago, and at that time all studies seemed to suggest that the death penalty was not a deterrent. i don't know if that has changed. it is a deterrent only if someone is afraid of death. many people aren't. some people feel their lives are already worthless and they are going to die young anyway, so who cares if they get the death penalty. they don't feel their lives are worth much or there is nothing that can change the trajectory of it anyway. if i brutally killed someone i would be happy to die. it would be so much easier than spending a lifetime in prison and trying to redeem my life through introspection, healing and service to others.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2008 - 6:34PM #7
nillawafer
also, the penitentiary system in the u.s. was remodelled a long time ago as a place for penance, (hence, penitants--penitentiary), but it has become a place that seems to reinforce criminal thinking and behavior instead.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2008 - 11:49PM #8
rosesinjanuary
I don't think the DP is a deterrant, as was mentioned   previously   people really are not thinking too clear or are at least so obsessed I doubt the DP doesn't matter at that point.

I am against the penalty because of margin of error. I know some people who work in a high security prison and according to them there are innocents lost, manipulated? by our system.  They are picked on and it indeed breaks my heart.

If I was a prisoner I would prefer the death penalty, I believe I would get separate quarters and  overall its a better environment.  I can't remember the man's name maybe u can help me but he killed his beautiful wife < Lacie and her baby. I watched a documentary he was NOT suffering.   It actually costs MORE for a death penalty prisoner due to the legal issues and the continuous appeals, I found that surprising,.

You know what what would make an interesting topic?  (I know your holding your breath ha!)  Anyway, I think
I am going to be answerable someday for what I do now.   Do you think you will?   What do you think of the issue of karma?   signed lisa who sometimes talks too much!!!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2008 - 11:27AM #9
methodistsearching
IMHO, whether it is a deterrent or not is irrelevant. Lots of things can be deterrents, but we don't use them because they are against our principles. Chopping off a hand or poking out an eye are probably pretty good deterrents also, but would anyone advocate that?

If our principles say that we are against killing, which it seems most of us are, then how can we be true to our principles if we say we want to kill people who kill?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2008 - 11:27AM #10
methodistsearching
IMHO, whether it is a deterrent or not is irrelevant. Lots of things can be deterrents, but we don't use them because they are against our principles. Chopping off a hand or poking out an eye are probably pretty good deterrents also, but would anyone advocate that?

If our principles say that we are against killing, which it seems most of us are, then how can we be true to our principles if we say we want to kill people who kill?
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook