Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4
5 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2010 - 9:14PM #31
Cooper

May 28, 2008 -- 10:14AM, Beautiful_Dreamer wrote:

I was looking on www.religioustolerance.org 's section on the death penalty and came up with a question.    I have heard some proponents of the death penalty say that it is a 'deterrent' for crime. But is it really? According to the website I mentioned above:    "The homicide rate in those states with the death penalty is almost double the rate in states without the death penalty. It is not known whether this is due to: -People in high-homicide states demanding the death penalty as a perceived deterrent, or -[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Use of the death penalty by the state cheapens the value of life, and causes a higher homicide rate, or[/FONT] -[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Some other reason."[/FONT]   

Granted, the authors of this site do state in their belief statement that they are against the death penalty, but they usually do an okay job of presenting things without interjecting their own opinions. I could be missing something on this, though. Here is the Wikipedia article on it, with several other links from the same site: From what I have seen, Wiki usually tries to avoid bias.

So, do you think the death penalty is a deterrent? To be honest, I don't know. But I don't really think so because it tends to be assigned fairly unevenly. If a person thinks or sees that the penalty isn't assigned consistently for whatever crime and is therefore not a guarantee, they aren't likely to see it as a deterrent.  What do you think?

Yes, the death penalty is a deterrent because once you are dead you cannot murder anyone anymore.  

Many inmates (with nothing to loose) continue murdering both correctional officers and other inmates in prison. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 25, 2010 - 12:17AM #32
MysticWanderer

Feb 11, 2010 -- 9:14PM, Cooper wrote:

Yes, the death penalty is a deterrent because once you are dead you cannot murder anyone anymore.  

Many inmates (with nothing to loose) continue murdering both correctional officers and other inmates in prison. 

Would you care to provide some statistcs to support your contention that inmates "with nothing to loose" are more likely to commit violence than those with something to loose. By those with "nothing to loose" I assume you mean those serving life without the possibility of parole since all of the rest do have something to loose, that is their chance at parole.  I worked in corrections for 15 years and we were always reminded that it was impossible to predict violent acts by inmate and we should consider all olf them capable.

"Not all who wander are lost" J.R.R.Tolkein
You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. ~Anne Lamott
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain."
Friedrich von Schiller
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2010 - 11:33PM #33
fastpitchdude

No Law is a deterrent to stopping a crime if the criminal thinks he can get away with the crime or is willing to endure the punishment if he or she is caught.  To a professional criminal incarceration is one of the hazards of being a crook.  Not a career stopper, but an acceptable risk to doing business.  Well what about the death penalty?  It is a career ender for a murderer.  My answer comes from an old survey the Wall Street Journal took during the mid 90's.  A reporter went to The State of Texas death row and asked the inmates in death row about that issue.  Why did they kill if they knew there was a death penalty as punishment if captured and convicted.  A slight majority of the inmates answered "they thought they could get away with the murder".  the next largest group stated they were so angry when they commited their murder.  The death penalty was not in consideration when they murdered.  These two groups made up over 85% of all the inmates on Texas's death row.  So is the death penalty a deterrent?  I doubt it. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook