Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View Enough Already - Smoking "Sucks"!
6 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2008 - 9:34PM #21
etsryan
what is sheesha?

congrats on kicking the habit to those who have.  smoking a couple of cigarettes now and then doesn't seem like the serious addiction that chain smoking is.  or a pack a day/basically the first thing in the morning/last thing at night type thing.

appreciate folks being courteous about it.  hopefully more folks can let go  more and take smoking or leave it.  not be hooked.  have more freedom...and bucks!
Risen Lord Jesus' Peace!
e.t./sue ><:> *:D (: + 
Yesh!  www.muttscomics.com
www.chesterton.org
American Chesterton Society Conference-usually in St Paul, MN Mid-June, but the 2009 Conference is scheduled Aug. 6-8 in Seattle, WA - you go, West Coast...
Some of what Gilbert K. Chesterton says:
"To have a right to do a thing is not at all the same as to be right in doing it."
"I agree with the realistic Irishman who said he preferred to prophesy after the event."  (Happy St. Patrick's Day!)
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
"War is not 'the best way of settling differences; it is the only way of preventing their being settled for you."
"If there were no God, there would be no atheists."
"Once abolish the God, and the government becomes the God."
"Men are ruled, at this minute by the clock, by liars who refuse them news, and by fools who cannot govern."
"He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."
"You can never have a revolution in order to establish a democracy. You must have a democracy in order to have a revolution."
"A citizen can hardly distinguish between a tax and a fine, except that the fine is generally much lighter."
"Men do not differ much about what things they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
"There are some desires that are not desirable."
"Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions."
"Religious liberty might be supposed to mean that everybody is free to discuss religion. In practice it means that hardly anybody is allowed to mention it."
"The riddles of God are more satisfying than the solutions of man."
"You cannot grow a beard in a moment of passion."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2008 - 7:15AM #22
Tmarie64
My father and all my siblings smoked.  I have NEVER smoked ANY thing.  Yet, I will die of emphysema, because people just HAD to smoke in the same room/car/house with me.
Smoking should (and in many places is) banned from ALL restaurants. 
I KNOW without ANY debate or uncertainty that I have emphysema because of second hand smoke.  My doctors and I sat down and went over every single risk factor.  The only one was the smoke exposure.
We can't ban parents from smoking in front of their kids.  They have the right to do what they want, esp. in their own homes.  BUT, we can't say it's their "right" to smoke in front of their kids.
You wouldn't dream of defending a parent who was giving his kid arsenic or some other slow acting poison.  I won't ever accept the right of anyone to kill their children with cigarettes.

Anyone who smokes around their kids is as guilty of child abuse as one who beats them on a regular basis.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2008 - 1:34PM #23
zigeuner
[QUOTE=etsryan;557808]what is sheesha?

congrats on kicking the habit to those who have.  smoking a couple of cigarettes now and then doesn't seem like the serious addiction that chain smoking is.  or a pack a day/basically the first thing in the morning/last thing at night type thing.

appreciate folks being courteous about it.  hopefully more folks can let go  more and take smoking or leave it.  not be hooked.  have more freedom...and bucks![/QUOTE]

sheesha is a tabacco product that is smoked with a hooka, its flavored and has a molasses base, I probably spelled it wrong though
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2008 - 3:09PM #24
etsryan
[QUOTE=zigeuner;559076]sheesha is a tabacco product that is smoked with a hooka, its flavored and has a molasses base, I probably spelled it wrong though[/QUOTE]

some of the tobacco with apple or whatever that some Arabs I met smoked?  Do hookahs make a difference health wise?  are they just as bad or worse than smoking a pipe or cigarettes or cigars or does it just depend on how much is smoked...do these flavorings make any difference?  are there any studies about that?  i suspect a lot of the trouble is the nasty additives in cigarettes, too...
Risen Lord Jesus' Peace!
www.chesterton.org
American Chesterton Society Conference-usually in St Paul, MN Mid-June, but the 2009 Conference is scheduled Aug. 6-8 in Seattle, WA - you go, West Coast...
"To have a right to do a thing is not at all the same as to be right in doing it."
"I agree with the realistic Irishman who said he preferred to prophesy after the event."  (Happy St. Patrick's Day!)
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
"War is not 'the best way of settling differences; it is the only way of preventing their being settled for you."
"Men are ruled, at this minute by the clock, by liars who refuse them news, and by fools who cannot govern."
"He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."
"You can never have a revolution in order to establish a democracy. You must have a democracy in order to have a revolution."
"A citizen can hardly distinguish between a tax and a fine, except that the fine is generally much lighter."
"Men do not differ much about what things they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
"Religious liberty might be supposed to mean that everybody is free to discuss religion. In practice it means that hardly anybody is allowed to mention it."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2008 - 3:11PM #25
etsryan
Tmarie that's a pretty hilarious signature bit...  what if cars ran on that kind of gas?  a lot more affordable but smelly...
Risen Lord Jesus' Peace!
www.chesterton.org
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2008 - 5:41PM #26
Tmarie64

etsryan wrote:

Tmarie that's a pretty hilarious signature bit...  what if cars ran on that kind of gas?  a lot more affordable but smelly...

My husband's car would be running 24 hours a day, 365 days a year!

James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2008 - 2:48PM #27
zigeuner
[QUOTE=etsryan;559220]some of the tobacco with apple or whatever that some Arabs I met smoked?  Do hookahs make a difference health wise?  are they just as bad or worse than smoking a pipe or cigarettes or cigars or does it just depend on how much is smoked...do these flavorings make any difference?  are there any studies about that?  i suspect a lot of the trouble is the nasty additives in cigarettes, too...[/QUOTE]

I was more open to trying it because theres a lot less in it.
There's molasses, tobacco and fruit, so while its not great for you (inhaling molasses can't be a great idea) it's generally seen as less harmful, but it depends who you ask.
The flavoring is just used to make it taste better as far as i know
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2008 - 2:48PM #28
zigeuner
[QUOTE=etsryan;559220]some of the tobacco with apple or whatever that some Arabs I met smoked?  Do hookahs make a difference health wise?  are they just as bad or worse than smoking a pipe or cigarettes or cigars or does it just depend on how much is smoked...do these flavorings make any difference?  are there any studies about that?  i suspect a lot of the trouble is the nasty additives in cigarettes, too...[/QUOTE]

I was more open to trying it because theres a lot less in it.
There's molasses, tobacco and fruit, so while its not great for you (inhaling molasses can't be a great idea) it's generally seen as less harmful, but it depends who you ask.
The flavoring is just used to make it taste better as far as i know
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2008 - 9:54AM #29
DAH54

Marcyy wrote:

I have smoked for 63 years, but have never inhaled. My lungs are great.

My father use to make the same claim. Anyone that doesn't smoke and who enters a person 's home who doesn't inhales, is well aware of the smell. That home my at first appear clean, but take a bucket of clean water and a clean cloth, and wash just a it of the walls, or windows and you will quickly see the signs of smoking.

My father use to pretend he didn't inhale. That the smoke didn't get into his body that he wasn't getting the effects of the smoke. If that was actually true it would not have been so hard for him to quit.

For Technical support visit

> Dah's User to User Self Support <

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook