Page 11 of 12  •  Prev 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next
Switch to Forum Live View No Death Penalty for the Mentally Ill
6 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2009 - 9:28AM #101
Karma_yeshe_dorje
«Research by Amnesty International has shown that the death penalty is often applied in a discriminatory manner. It is used disproportionately against the poor, minorities and members of racial ethnic and religious communities; it is often imposed after a grossly unfair trial. Even during fair trials the risk of executing the innocent can never be fully eliminated. The death penalty has not been proven to have any deterrent effect, and it denies the possibility of rehabilitation. The death penalty violates the right of life, and is the ultimate cruel, inhuman and degrading punishment.»

http://allafrica.com/stories/200904010767.html
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2009 - 10:07AM #102
karbie

I believe that with the DNA testing we have now, all materials should be re-checked before someone is executed. "Truth serum", etc.--any and all means available for one last chance to prove innocence should be given--although the inmate can of course refuse. However, if they do not have the mental capacity to understand why they are being punished--or even what they did wrong--they shouldn't be executed. That isn't the same as "Because I wanted money. Because I wanted power. Because I didn't want any witnesses. Because the laws don't apply to ME."

Of course, if what you are really discussing is ANY death penalty case...the victims have been executed first.  With many crimes, the condemned will have a longer life-expectancy on Death Row than they would if released into the general prison population. They will certainly be safer there if the crime involved a child.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2009 - 5:08AM #103
Karma_yeshe_dorje
«Many past offenders against other people, and suspected or potential future offenders with mental health problems or an intellectual or developmental disability, are supervised in the community by forensic teams containing a variety of professionals, including psychiatrists, psychologists, nurses and care workers.»

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forensic_Psychiatry
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2009 - 5:36AM #104
bubbysmommy

Just because the offender is being cared for by a team of professionals such as Psychiatrists, social workers & nurses, does not mean that this team is a "forensic" team. A forensic team is a team of detectives & other POLICE personnel that work a CRIME SCENE. How do I know that to be a fact? My niece is C.I.D in the army. She is a Special Agent that deals with Sex Crimes on her base. She is part of a Forensic Team. So, I repeat, just because a person is being monitored by a medical team does mean that they are under police control.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2009 - 10:59AM #105
Karma_yeshe_dorje
Cool, bubbysmommy:

"I repeat, just because a person is being monitored by a medical team does mean that they are under police control."

«professor of clinical psychology Les Parrott wrote that "Control Freaks are people who care more than you do about something and won't stop at being pushy to get their way."

In some cases, the control freak sees their constant intervention as beneficial or even necessary; this can be caused by feelings of superiority, believing that others are incapable of handling matters properly, or the fear that things will go wrong if they don't attend to every detail. In other cases, they may simply enjoy the feeling of power it gives them so much that they automatically try to gain control of everything around them.»

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_Freak
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2009 - 3:30PM #106
karbie

Apr 3, 2009 -- 10:59AM, Karma_yeshe_dorje wrote:

Cool, bubbysmommy:  "I repeat, just because a person is being monitored by a medical team does mean that they are under police control."  «professor of clinical psychology Les Parrott wrote that "Control Freaks are people who care more than you do about something and won't stop at being pushy to get their way."  In some cases, the control freak sees their constant intervention as beneficial or even necessary; this can be caused by feelings of superiority, believing that others are incapable of handling matters properly, or the fear that things will go wrong if they don't attend to every detail. In other cases, they may simply enjoy the feeling of power it gives them so much that they automatically try to gain control of everything around them.»  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_Freak

Is this why you keep insisting on posting off topic?

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2009 - 4:34PM #107
bubbysmommy

Karbie,

I have chosen to simply ignore any & all posters that continue to post off topic. I mean, once in a while is fine. Even straying off topic to make a point is OK, but to continually stray so far of topic that you almost need a map to get back on task? I am simply not wasting any more of my precious energy on responses to this drivel.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2009 - 4:39PM #108
Karma_yeshe_dorje
This topic concerns psychology!

«People with low scores on openness tend to have more conventional, traditional interests. They prefer the plain, straightforward, and obvious over the complex, ambiguous, and subtle. They may regard the arts and sciences with suspicion, regarding these endeavors as abstruse or of no practical use. Closed people prefer familiarity over novelty. They are conservative and resistant to change.»

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Five_personality_traits#Openness_to_Experience
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2009 - 6:23PM #109
karbie

bubbysmommy,

I think you have chosen the correct course.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2009 - 12:56AM #110
Karma_yeshe_dorje
«Avoidant personality disorder (AvPD) (or Anxious personality disorder) is a personality disorder recognized in the DSM handbook, characterized by a pervasive pattern of social inhibition, feelings of inadequacy, extreme sensitivity to negative evaluation and avoidance of social interaction. People with AvPD often consider themselves to be socially inept or personally unappealing, and avoid social interaction for fear of being ridiculed, humiliated, rejected or disliked.»

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avoidant_Personality_Disorder
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 11 of 12  •  Prev 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook