Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View my housemate wants a purebred weimeranner
7 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2008 - 12:24AM #11
solfeggio
Yeah, I read (because I don't watch Oprah) where Oprah did indeed make a big point about how her next dog is going to be a rescued dog.

Took her long enough to figure it out!

BTW:
It's WEIMARANER.  The name comes from the Grand Duke of Weimar (Germany), who enjoyed hunting.

And yeah, it's a hunting dog, but considered a good family dog, loyal and loving.  They get pretty big, though - 130 lbs.  Too bad that their tails are docked.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2008 - 7:04AM #12
PaulaEdwina
Yes, I do know how to spell the name and what it's for, thanks.

As I said; gun dogs make lousy house dogs - they are very active and become frustrated without a job. Now if your housemate is a jogger or is willing to go lure coursing ro agility or something like that, there's hope, but otherwise he needs to look for another type of dog.

Paula
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2008 - 9:08AM #13
Marcyy
The only bad thing about this breed is that they have a relatively short life span.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2008 - 9:52AM #14
mytmouse57
[QUOTE=PaulaEdwina;431779]And as a rule, gun dogs generally make lousy sit-around-the-house-dogs.

Paula[/QUOTE]

You give them a good workout every day, and they actually make good pets and loyal companions. That's been my experience. Heck I took a trip across the country -- 2,000 miles each way -- with two big gun dogs in a compact Toyota a few years back. And they got along just fine. As long as they have something to engage their attention, they do well. It's when they get bored that you have to watch out.

In particular, my dogs seemed to get a huge kick out of going right though the middle of St. Louis during rush hour. They'd never seen anything even remotely like that.

But I would agree that somebody buying one of those breeds just because they "look cool" or whatever is a huge mistake. Those dogs are to dogs like a high-performance sports car is to automobiles. They are driven, intelligent and extremely energetic.  If you don't know what you're getting into, you're setting youself up for a whole lot of trouble.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2008 - 10:08AM #15
PaulaEdwina
Myt,

I couldn't agree more. That's why I elaborated in a following post that if BHRs housemate is an active dude things would be okay, but otherwise look out.

Paula
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2008 - 12:01PM #16
Gandalf_Parker
I can see some of the points people make about breeding. The cost of a purebred is a good chunk of money. Then you have "on the one hand I can get some back or even profit by puppies" vs the added cost of fixing the animal.

But you might point out to him that there is a reason that breeders keep the animals in pens, or at least on large estates. Unless he is planning to keep his purebred dog inside all of the time then there is going to be a chance that he will end up with a large litter of really ugly pups. Even walking a dog on a leash means that it can happen.

Personally I dont feel that any litter of puppies are ugly or worthless but the possibility might convince him.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2008 - 3:10PM #17
bluehorserunning
Paula-
I *was* misspelling the name; I imagine that Solf was correcting me, not you.

Gandalf- he's not likely to be buying a high-quality puppy from a serious breeder of hunting or show dogs; more likely a puppy from some backyard breeder who dosen't even know the meaning of 'sickle hocks,' much less how to look for and eliminate it from a breeding program.  Ie, still not cheap but not as expensive as a used car, either.

When I was a kid, my mom was the leader of my brownie troop; she took us on a field trip to the local SPCA once, and we learned all about spaying/neutering animals and how so many get put down.  Maybe I can arrange some sort of 'field trip' to our local shelter, here.  It worked for me...
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2008 - 3:27PM #18
Gandalf_Parker

bluehorserunning wrote:

Gandalf- he's not likely to be buying a high-quality puppy from a serious breeder of hunting or show dogs; more likely a puppy from some backyard breeder who dosen't even know the meaning of 'sickle hocks,' much less how to look for and eliminate it from a breeding program.  Ie, still not cheap but not as expensive as a used car, either.

I understand. But he probably doesnt so the point would be moot. Such people rarely consider the worth of the puppies in such a consideration. But the realization that they mighthave a litter of "just dogs" to find homes for has often been a deterrent to people I talk to.

When I was a kid, my mom was the leader of my brownie troop; she took us on a field trip to the local SPCA once, and we learned all about spaying/neutering animals and how so many get put down.  Maybe I can arrange some sort of 'field trip' to our local shelter, here.  It worked for me...

I know that we loved it whenever someone arranged a tour. The same goes for any animal group on any level. Of course the spay/neuter programs are beginning to show their pro/con but an SPCA is unlikely to get into that. It has caused me to remove breeders from such a list though.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2008 - 4:36PM #19
becca97
And although i do know how to spell it when i saw how BHR spelt it i presumed i was wrong and used her spelling ... besides i imagine Solf was just sharing; plus very good info not many folks know outside doggy circles about the origin of the name :)

BHR i don't really know what else to suggest other than folks have already added save shaking him is sounding more attractive by the minute ;)

beccaxx
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2008 - 2:45PM #20
bluehorserunning
Well, I talked to his partner about it and apparently I have an ally there.  :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook