Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Swanky lounge for animal welfarists
7 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2008 - 3:48PM #1
mytmouse57
Well, since the title of this forum indicates that animal welfare advocates are also welcome to come here. I'm suggesting that we too have a self-congradulatory thread and a place to come relax.

So here it is folks. Let's talk about our interactions with and interests in animals, and issues regarding their welfare. Topics might include the local animal shelter and your impressions of it, wildlife habitat preservation efforts in your area, funny stories about pets, or anything else that comes up.

Please, no talk about heartless murderers, insanity by default or comparisons to child rapists, demons or Nazis allowed.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2008 - 4:08PM #2
cinthia_29
Whooo hoo we get our own lounge. Well what to talk about, we adopted out a deaf pit bull at our shelter yesterday. She's has been there for over a year. Poor girl shes a beautiful dog and very sweet but we had to find someone who could care for her properly. It was a major celebration for us to find her such a loving couple to be with. We didn't know how long she would have to stay there in the shelter. we also had her microchipped for her new parents just in case. You never know how much thoes little devices come in handy.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2008 - 4:10PM #3
becca97
wow swanky lounge heh ;)

cyn i'm so happy that she foudn a family :) that is the best part about being invovled in rescue that moment when a dog meets their family

beccaxx
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2008 - 4:13PM #4
cinthia_29
[QUOTE=becca97;341968]wow swanky lounge heh ;)

cyn i'm so happy that she foudn a family :) that is the best part about being invovled in rescue that moment when a dog meets their family

beccaxx[/QUOTE]

We were so happy for her, in about a month we will go check on her to make sure she settled into her new home without any problems. And hopefully I get to make the trip, I already miss her. I became quite close to her while she was there. :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2008 - 4:19PM #5
becca97
bless, i'm sure she will love to see you and let you know how she is settling in :)

We are hoping to adopt a new dog in the summer a greyhoudn with any luck ... all our dogs are getting into 14yrs now and some are feeling it a bit so we are kinda broody for a new addition. Got a lovely rescue nearish to us who have some wonderful needy dogs, some black dogs have been unwanted because of their colour (god kows why) and we'd love to offer one a home if we can find a bitch who is cat friendly (we have a small sheltie so want to be on the safe side).

beccaxx
ps hope y'all don't mind me coming into the welfarist lounge ;)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2008 - 4:36PM #6
mytmouse57
Cin, that's awesome news.

Pets with disabilities can often be the most special. I was co-owner for a few years of a blind American Eskimo Dog and a partially paralized weiner dog. Both had a lot of spirit and didn't let their disabilities slow them down. People always got a huge kick out of seeing the weiner dog zoom around in his "wheelchair."
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2008 - 6:05PM #7
darcamani
ok,  I am a lounge lizard... I prefer friendly arguing and story telling to bashing , any day.

I happen to live in a protected environ( U.s.A.  potected., so even the bugs get their due,  my local bird rescue, and earth wind and fire people are all over my little habitat that I share,, seasonaly   no, I do not adopt, them or the critters.   I release, when birds and others  are  healed, so minimal contact is used and  only two have returned to me over the years.

They know when I clean out my fridge.

Turkey buzzards.

I named them after an American sit com, " Laverne and Shirley".

I raised them when they were abandoned and cute. 14 YEARS ago.

Years later their ,
Cute" turned into darn ugly and HUGE!   

2 meter wingspan and stink!  Oh my.

It started when I lived on a farm and some of the land was for hunters, yea hunters, they were very mindful, always honored the land and  critters and  kept me and many fed in my early parent years, and then there were the buzzards, only two.

Laverne and Shirley.
They took care off everything else, and I cleaned fridge every month, threw everything out into the garden for compost, it was a good half a kilo walk..
I was pregnant when I first met these birds... that walk became shorter and then...

my housemate yelled... fill in the words , god, and darlene were involved and then when I got to the issue...

Laverne and Shirley were on the porch . 1 meter away from the door. 

Great big birds, waiting for lunch.  All my domestic critters that wanted to go out were freaked as well as housemate....

I reminded everyone the vultures wished for their meal to be  "well done" .

LOL, even retelling,    my oldest son is 11, and he is the same size as Laverne.
Heknow manages the ... timing.

My youngest , manages our smaller creatures, he knows about our state eco system and guides me with, "do you know where that has been?" 

:)

They both will be working this year , as they have for several,on an organic farm. 
My guess is, one will be into the soil, the other into how the bugs help.

Laverne and Shirley, both bigger than my sons, will manage their learning.

Baby sitters with attitude... dare sit still and smell funny...

:)

Peace all.

Dar
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2008 - 6:06PM #8
cinthia_29
[QUOTE=becca97;341984]bless, i'm sure she will love to see you and let you know how she is settling in :)

We are hoping to adopt a new dog in the summer a greyhoudn with any luck ... all our dogs are getting into 14yrs now and some are feeling it a bit so we are kinda broody for a new addition. Got a lovely rescue nearish to us who have some wonderful needy dogs, some black dogs have been unwanted because of their colour (god kows why) and we'd love to offer one a home if we can find a bitch who is cat friendly (we have a small sheltie so want to be on the safe side).

beccaxx
ps hope y'all don't mind me coming into the welfarist lounge ;)[/QUOTE]

Becca we love having you, you know that. Glad to see you posting again, you took a small break. I should have taken one last week but I'm all better now.

So how many dogs do you have now? I really want to adopt a few cat my kids want one. But my dog now doesn't really like cats. I recently had a friend bring over the hyperactive fully grown Rott. She wanted to play with my pit and my poor dog hid under our bed. I couldn't believe it, she was so scared. Poor doggie she would even come out of the room until my friend and her dog left. Do they have specific breed shelters over there? I know they have them here that specialize in greyhounds.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2008 - 6:08PM #9
cinthia_29
[QUOTE=mytmouse57;342009]Cin, that's awesome news.

Pets with disabilities can often be the most special. I was co-owner for a few years of a blind American Eskimo Dog and a partially paralized weiner dog. Both had a lot of spirit and didn't let their disabilities slow them down. People always got a huge kick out of seeing the weiner dog zoom around in his "wheelchair."[/QUOTE]

AAWW I have seen a dog in a "wheelchair before. It's amazing how they act like they aren't disabled at all. So the little guy in the pic is he yours?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2008 - 6:48PM #10
mytmouse57
[QUOTE=cinthia_29;342156]AAWW I have seen a dog in a "wheelchair before. It's amazing how they act like they aren't disabled at all. So the little guy in the pic is he yours?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's actually a little female. My newest dog. Just turned a year old. As far as breed, she is a "nobody really knows what" crossed with a "God only knows what that is."
For the sake of simplicity, I just tell people she's the "Rat Dog."

She's one of the smaller dogs I've ever had. Most of my dogs have been big hunting dogs... 60-70 pounds or more. This little one is about only 20 pounds. But smart as hell and a lot of fun. I also have the same labrador/mutt cross I've had for about eight years. (I think his pic is still posted with my profile.

Oh, and I have a little black cat named Sebastian. And yes, Sebastian is a female (spayed, and current on her shots, of course, because I let her outside sometimes.)  I know that's a "boy's" name... but it fits her, and it has stuck.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook