Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
6 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2008 - 6:57AM #1
jbrs1962
I have been tithing for a couple of months.We live by the week and just make it.People have said that I will be blessed if I tithed.Now I am buying food with a credit card and can't afford mortgage.I'm trying to have faith but have almost given up on this.I work 2 jobs and make pretty good money.I am in a place where i feel guilty if i don't tithe.I know i shouldn't live like this.please help,Jim
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 18, 2008 - 6:24AM #2
jbrs1962
I'm not asking for money here ,just want to hear people's experiences with this,Jbrs1962
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 30, 2008 - 8:30PM #3
milk_of_amnesia
[noparse]
[img=[/noparse]replace this text with the image address - remove all spaces][noparse]
[/noparse]

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 30, 2008 - 8:30PM #4
milk_of_amnesia
[noparse]
[img=[/noparse]replace this text with the image address - remove all spaces][noparse]
[/noparse]

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2008 - 6:30PM #5
BBarton
[QUOTE=jbrs1962;282712]I have been tithing for a couple of months.We live by the week and just make it.People have said that I will be blessed if I tithed.Now I am buying food with a credit card and can't afford mortgage.I'm trying to have faith but have almost given up on this.I work 2 jobs and make pretty good money.I am in a place where i feel guilty if i don't tithe.I know i shouldn't live like this.please help,Jim[/QUOTE]

Dear jbrs,

Perhaps you don't need to tithe ten percent.

You see, when Joseph was sold by his brothers, imprisoned falsely, the Lord was still able to elevate him to Prime Minister by interpreting the Pharoah's dream.  Joseph told him there'd be 7 years of plenty and 7 years of famon.  He told the king to collect 10 percent of everyones produce during the 7 years of plenty, then when the 7 years of famon came, there was stored grain from the time of plenty to see them through.

Today we give on average a third of what we make to the government.  Religion wants ten percent before taxes.  Jesus yoke is easy and his burden light.  Those selling you a false doctrine for salvation are misguided.  When Jesus' followers collected money from the crowd, Jesus was appalled.  What do I want with this?  Whose face is on the money?  Then render to Caesar or President what is theirs and unto God what is Gods.  Jesus told them to give the collection to the poor.

If you gave ten percent for 20 years and lost your job, is the church going to support you in your time of famon?  Put 10 % into savings.  Offer the church your time and talent and support them financially with what you can.  Do not go into dept to pour money into a church or religion.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 30, 2008 - 12:48PM #6
War_Eagle
[QUOTE=jbrs1962;282712]I have been tithing for a couple of months.We live by the week and just make it.People have said that I will be blessed if I tithed.Now I am buying food with a credit card and can't afford mortgage.I'm trying to have faith but have almost given up on this.I work 2 jobs and make pretty good money.I am in a place where i feel guilty if i don't tithe.I know i shouldn't live like this.please help,Jim[/QUOTE]

JBRS, tithing is an Old Testament concept, not something that the Bible teaches for the church today. The tithe was a requirement of the law in which all Israelites were to give 10% of everything they earned and grew to the Tabernacle / Temple (Leviticus 27:30; Numbers 18:26; Deuteronomy 14:24; 2 Chronicles 31:5). Some understand the Old Testament tithe as a method of taxation to provide for the needs of the priests and Levites of the sacrificial system. The New Testament nowhere commands, or even recommends that Christians submit to a legalistic tithe system. Paul states that believers should set aside a portion of their income in order to support the church (1 Corinthians 16:1-2).

The New Testament nowhere assigns a certain percentage of income to set aside, but only says it is to be “in keeping with his income” (1 Corinthians 16:2). The Christian church has essentially taken the 10% figure from the Old Testament tithe and applied it as a “recommended minimum” for Christians in their giving. Although the New Testament does not identify a specific amount or percentage to give, it does talk about the importance and benefits of giving. They should give as they are able, “in keeping with his income.” Sometimes that means giving more than a tithe, sometime that may mean giving less than a tithe. It all depends on the ability of the Christian and the needs of the church. Each and every Christian should diligently pray and seek God’s wisdom as to whether to participate in tithing and/or for how much he or she should give (James 1:5). “Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver” (2 Corinthians 9:7).
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2008 - 4:44PM #7
VBallR
I disagree that tithing is an OT concept and not valid today.  My church encourages tithing and I have recently stepped up to that.  But having said that I don't think Jim needs to tithe if he cannot afford to at this time.  Like I said, it took me a few years to step up to full tithing.  My children are grown and through college now so I can do it.  You are certainly not expected to go into debt in order to tithe. JMHO.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2008 - 5:12PM #8
War_Eagle
[QUOTE=VBallR;933803]I disagree that tithing is an OT concept and not valid today.

Then why isn't it taught in the New Testament? Why isn't it a command to the church?

But having said that I don't think Jim needs to tithe if he cannot afford to at this time.

You can't have it both ways. You can't say that the tithing laws are still in effect, but we're under no obligation to follow them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2008 - 5:36PM #9
VBallR
Forgive me if I did not explain myself well.  I don't think of tithing as a law -- more like a guideline.  God loves a cheerful giver -- absolutely agree with that.  Tithing is not just giving money, it's a spiritual act that benefits the giver.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2008 - 1:22PM #10
War_Eagle
[QUOTE=VBallR;943672]Forgive me if I did not explain myself well.  I don't think of tithing as a law -- more like a guideline.  God loves a cheerful giver -- absolutely agree with that.  Tithing is not just giving money, it's a spiritual act that benefits the giver.[/QUOTE]

So, how is it that you defend tithing with a verse of scripture that refers to not tithing?
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook