Switch to Forum Live View looking for real help
6 years ago  ::  Sep 22, 2008 - 11:08AM #1
jfollano
I am new to this forum and asking for help of any kind, I am 45 years old and worked my butt off since I was 15years old. I am currently appling for social security disibility from work related injuries ( Yes I have exhusted all of my options with workers comp). I was told that because of my age, race,and the fact that I am semi educated (some college no degree) I am not elligible, I have to fight for what I have work for all my life. I am sorry I am not trying to sound like a bigot but this is what I was told by the case worker at disibility and my lawyer ( I was forced to get one). They told me if I was uneducated, incarcerated or spanish, africain american, or a non- citizian it would not be an argument I would be approved just because I applied. Sorry, I am now becoming bitter. I am the father of two small children, my wife who makes $12.00 an hr.( the only source of income) she was told because she make $10.00 more a month then they allow we can not get food stamps, cash assistance or any other help. I can not afford medical benifits for my family. We have depleted all of our savings and our mortage (which is in my inlaws name) is going to be forclosed on. My lawyer told me that it is going to take another 10 months before I get infront of a judge. He said along with all my doctors that there is no reason I should have been denied (just the ones I have stated above). I am at a loss For the first time in my life I do not know where to turn, I live in florida and that is the biggest mistake I could have ever made but that is where I am. I have been told there are No programs for me to help my family can anyone give me some help. As a catholic I have always been taught God will provide I am sorry but my faith has been rocked. My health, my family,my job ,our life in general has been torn apart , I just can not see how I upset God but I must have. It is almost like I have been cursed. Does anyone have any Idea whether it is through charity or I would really appreciate a home based job that is not a scam. I had a back fusion so I am home bound I am not allowed to drive yet. Any suggestions? THANK YOU jfollano se. florida
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 22, 2008 - 11:29AM #2
soblessed3
This is the story for alot of people. If you are truely disabled and your dr says so then you should get it. If you are able to work in the least then that's what they expect of you. 45 is still very young.

You are probably going to have to rent instead of pay the mortgage.

You shouldn't let material things rock your faith. What's the worst that could happen? You live in a tent with your family and get foodstamps? Sure it would suck but there will always be a way.

The economy has changed. As far as I know there are no real "computer" jobs unless you are a medical transcriptionist.

The hand-outs from charity organizations are going to be slim to none soon so you can't really depend on them.

I always remember the people who are far worse off then I am and I get by.

If you are disabled and feel you are being treated unfairly then you should write to the appropriate people and ask for a hearing. They will hire private investigators to make sure you are in fact disabled. There are no quick fixes. This economy sucks. I also live in Florida.
You might want to think about moving north.
Good luck.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 22, 2008 - 11:41AM #3
Chiyo
Social Security Disability, [COLOR=red]in effect, just doesn't exist anymore. Federal monies are not there for the average American, they are being spent elsewhere. Sorry to say it, but you are on your own.[/COLOR] Just like all Americans who are living in tent cities springing up around the nation.

[QUOTE]
Tent Cities Spread In U.S. As Economy Sags

RENO, Nev., Sept. 19, 2008 (AP) A few tents cropped up hard by the railroad tracks, pitched by men left with nowhere to go once the emergency winter shelter closed for the summer.

Then others appeared - people who had lost their jobs to the ailing economy, or newcomers who had moved to Reno for work and discovered no one was hiring.

Within weeks, more than 150 people were living in tents big and small, barely a foot apart in a patch of dirt slated to be a parking lot for a campus of shelters Reno is building for its homeless population. Like many other cities, Reno has found itself with a "tent city" - an encampment of people who had nowhere else to go.

From Seattle to Athens, Ga., homeless advocacy groups and city agencies are reporting the most visible rise in homeless encampments in a generation.

Read the rest of the article - LINK
[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 15, 2008 - 2:58AM #4
Desimans
You did not upset God.  What you are experiencing is not a punishment, it is an economic downturn.  Speak to your priest, your family may be able to receive a bit of confidential assistance from your church, this is not a hand-out, it is allowing the church the opportunity to reap the blessings of helping a person in need.  Do not allow your pride to interfere in your ability to bless others.  Keep your spiritual house in order, this is especially important when your physical environment is in chaos.  As you jump through the obligatory hoops to determine your eligibility for disability income, talk long and meaningfully with your wife, listen to her point of view.  Does she have career or education dreams that she has put on hold up to this point?  Perhaps the silver lining to this current difficulty is that your wife may feel this situation nudge her to go after those dreams.  Look for the opportunities that are hiding in the storm.  Blessings to you and your family.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook