Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 24 of 24  •  Prev 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24
Switch to Forum Live View How can someone support the war AND be pro-life?
10 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2008 - 3:24AM #231
bluehorserunning
That, at least, is a clear statement.  :)

I disagree that 'no biologist would say it,' but I certianly see where you're coming from.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2008 - 9:11AM #232
newsjunkie
[QUOTE=bluehorserunning;305370]That, at least, is a clear statement.  :)

I disagree that 'no biologist would say it,' but I certianly see where you're coming from.[/QUOTE]

I am most definately not a biologist. However, I wonder why any biologist, when speaking as a biologist, would say that a fetus is a parasite when the fetus forms as part of the reproductive process. Isn't it basically understood that the offspring, whether in gestational form or fully grown or hatched, aren't parasitic organisms even if they are dependent on their mother or parents?

I can understand why a woman facing an unwanted pregnancy would have some negative feelings toward the fetus. Those feelings may include feeling that the fetus is akin to an internal parasite. That does not mean that the fetus actually is a parasite, any more than a happy expectant mother having some passing thoughts such as that her fetus will grow up to be a great athelete or the next Einstein makes that true.

Using terms like "parasite" or "clump of cells" when referring to the fetus in these discussions takes us away from the reality of the situation, IMO. PCs often object to PLs calling the fetus a "baby" -- so why turn around and use other terms that don't more accurately describe what is growing inside the pregnant woman?
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2008 - 2:28PM #233
mountain_man

newsjunkie wrote:

I am most definately not a biologist. However, I wonder why any biologist, when speaking as a biologist, would say that a fetus is a parasite when the fetus forms as part of the reproductive process. Isn't it basically understood that the offspring, whether in gestational form or fully grown or hatched, aren't parasitic organisms even if they are dependent on their mother or parents?

That's right. No biologist would call a ZEF a parasite no more than they'd call your foot a parasite - even though your foot can have many of the same traits as a parasite.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2008 - 5:22PM #234
bluehorserunning
I think that my relationship with my feet is more of a mutualistic one.  :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2008 - 8:47PM #235
mytmouse57
[QUOTE=mountain_man;306339]That's right. No biologist would call a ZEF a parasite no more than they'd call your foot a parasite - even though your foot can have many of the same traits as a parasite.[/QUOTE]

Well, if you're going to take that route, I'd say the penis is a much better candiate for the "parasite" label. I don't know about you, but mine's gotten me in deep trouble more than once.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2008 - 10:58PM #236
mountain_man

mytmouse57 wrote:

Well, if you're going to take that route, I'd say the penis is a much better candiate for the "parasite" label. I don't know about you, but mine's gotten me in deep trouble more than once.

Since when is the parasite in control of the mind? :D

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2008 - 6:16AM #237
isness
[QUOTE=mountain_man;299860]I know I have only a Masters degree in biology, and have been around biologists and scientist for only 30 years, I have never heard any biologist or scientist refer to a ZEF as a "parasite."

It is not.[/QUOTE]

Phew! Because this whole idea is disturbing to me.  If someone wishes to refer to their zef as a parasite, so be it.  All the more reason to abort.  I don't think anyone capable of calling their zef a parasite should consider proceeding with the pregnancy.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2008 - 12:06PM #238
mountain_man

isness wrote:

Phew! Because this whole idea is disturbing to me.  If someone wishes to refer to their zef as a parasite, so be it.  All the more reason to abort.  I don't think anyone capable of calling their zef a parasite should consider proceeding with the pregnancy.

I agree....

Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2008 - 12:06PM #239
mountain_man

isness wrote:

I agree....

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 24 of 24  •  Prev 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook