Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 21 of 24  •  Prev 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 Next
Switch to Forum Live View How can someone support the war AND be pro-life?
10 years ago  ::  Feb 19, 2008 - 6:25PM #201
MedKit77
[QUOTE=faith713;298909]"But can that be one of the feelings a woman may have? Yes. Does the fact that a woman may have that feeling at some time during an unwanted (or wanted) pregnancy make the woman a horrible person? No. "

The unborn child is NOT a parasite, that's a biological fact. Feelings can be subjective. You can't base the worth of an individual's life on your own subjective feelings. Is honesty too much to ask for?

"I think it takes a lot of chutzpah for those on the outside to second-guess and judge these situations."

Women don't want to be judged so we shouldn't judge the unborn child.

It is human nature to want pleasure without responsibility and to expect our actions to have no negative consequences. Living with what we’ve done and finding the good in it despite how inconvenienced we might be is what responsible and mature humans do.[/QUOTE]

It is honesty, as well as a scientific and biological fact that a zef IS a parasite. I'll repeat the definition of parasite for you:

parasite: An organism that lives within, upon, or at the expense of another organism (the host) without contributing to its survival.

Please do explain how a zef does not fit into that definition. It is an organism that lives within the woman's body (the host) at the expense of her body, taking all of it's sustenence exclusively from her, and does not contribute to her survival.

By the way, simply because someone does not agree with your opinions does not mean they are dishonest.

No one is "judging" the zef. The woman is making a decision concerning her own body and her own life.

Women should not have to continue unwanted pregnancies simply because YOU believe that they need to "pay" for their "pleasure". A continued pregnancy should never be forced on a woman, least of all as a punishment for her choice to have sex.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 19, 2008 - 9:04PM #202
mountain_man

MedKit77 wrote:

It is honesty, as well as a scientific and biological fact that a zef IS a parasite. I'll repeat the definition of parasite for you:....

I know I have only a Masters degree in biology, and have been around biologists and scientist for only 30 years, I have never heard any biologist or scientist refer to a ZEF as a "parasite."

It is not.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2008 - 12:38AM #203
SkyWalker53
I agree that a zef does indeed fit the description of a "parasite" regardless of whether or not it has ever been presented that way.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2008 - 12:42AM #204
MedKit77
[QUOTE=mountain_man;299860]I know I have only a Masters degree in biology, and have been around biologists and scientist for only 30 years, I have never heard any biologist or scientist refer to a ZEF as a "parasite."

It is not.[/QUOTE]

I am not saying that I believe that a zef is a parasite. I am saying that it fits the scientific and biological definition of a parasite.

Nor am I saying that women seek abortions because they consider a zef a parasite.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2008 - 1:01AM #205
mountain_man

MedKit77 wrote:

I am not saying that I believe that a zef is a parasite. I am saying that it fits the scientific and biological definition of a parasite.

I am saying it does not.

Nor am I saying that women seek abortions because they consider a zef a parasite.

Then why even bother with the argument? A ZEF is not in any way a parasite nor does it fit the definition of one. Ask any biologist and they'll tell you that a parasite is of a DIFFERENT species than the host. As far as I know, when a woman gets pregnant, the result is the same species that she is.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2008 - 12:38AM #206
SkyWalker53
I agree that a zef does indeed fit the description of a "parasite" regardless of whether or not it has ever been presented that way.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2008 - 12:42AM #207
MedKit77
[QUOTE=mountain_man;299860]I know I have only a Masters degree in biology, and have been around biologists and scientist for only 30 years, I have never heard any biologist or scientist refer to a ZEF as a "parasite."

It is not.[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2008 - 1:01AM #208
mountain_man

MedKit77 wrote:

I am saying it does not.

Then why even bother with the argument? A ZEF is not in any way a parasite nor does it fit the definition of one. Ask any biologist and they'll tell you that a parasite is of a DIFFERENT species than the host. As far as I know, when a woman gets pregnant, the result is the same species that she is.

Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2008 - 6:11AM #209
MedKit77
[QUOTE=mountain_man;300340]I am saying it does not.

Then why even bother with the argument? A ZEF is not in any way a parasite nor does it fit the definition of one. Ask any biologist and they'll tell you that a parasite is of a DIFFERENT species than the host. As far as I know, when a woman gets pregnant, the result is the same species that she is.[/QUOTE]

You're entitled to your opinion; however, can you please explain how a zef does not meet all the requirements as named in the definition I provided?

I believe that a zef DOES fit the scientific and biological definition of a parasite. Does that mean I believe that a zef is a parasite, or that women are making the decision to have an abortion based on that definition? No.

However, an unwanted pregnancy might be seen in the same light as a parasite: An unwelcome entity in one's body.

Where in the definition of parasite does it say that it MUST be a different species?
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2008 - 6:56AM #210
SkyWalker53
i definitely felt the zef was a parasite when i became accidentally pregnant.

but from a biological standpoint, since it does serve the purpose of reproducing some of our genetic material, a 'benefit' that no other parasite provides. But what of that "other" genetic material? It does fit the description of parasite except that it is now perfectly fused to our own genetic material and that without the sexual combination, our own individual genetic material would be genetically weak. Maybe this is why the foreign genetic material is not seen as parasitical? Reproduction is considered a benefit (the opportunity to replicate one's genes) for any individual member of an animal species, though the host organism may not. The biological benefit of reproduction would explain massive human overpopulation (despite options to prevent or terminate pregnancies). The potential for an evolutionary improvement in the species as well as it being foundation for life to exist is why nature favors reproduction. However, given that the human species is dangerously overpopulated, human reproduction has now become a destructive act.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 21 of 24  •  Prev 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook