Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 24  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 24 Next
Switch to Forum Live View How can someone support the war AND be pro-life?
10 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2008 - 1:32PM #1
isness
Just wondering.  I've asked this question on outside abortion forums and nobody has ever offered an answer.
Thank You...
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2008 - 1:41PM #2
RiverMoonlady
[QUOTE=isness;266151]Just wondering.  I've asked this question on outside abortion forums and nobody has ever offered an answer.
Thank You...[/QUOTE]

Silence, like a photograph, speaks a thousand words.  You may grow very old waiting for someone to explain that position.

I'm prochoice and anti-war, BTW.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2008 - 3:28PM #3
JimmyQuinn
[QUOTE=isness;266151]Just wondering.  I've asked this question on outside abortion forums and nobody has ever offered an answer.
Thank You...[/QUOTE]

An often repeated quote liberals like to use. Its simple, if you use your noggin!

I suppose by "the war", you are talking about the ongoing conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan? You see, we are removing brutal dictatorships that will, in turn, save innocent lives. The military is killing guilty people, in order to save innocents. By not supporting the war, you are supporting the suppression and killing of innocent people.

Makes sense when ya think about it?
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2008 - 2:45PM #4
solfeggio
Ah, yes, that is something I've always wondered about, too.  And nobody has ever answered it satisfactorily.

However, considering that it seems as if a great many (if not all) of the pro-life people are very religious, and all religions are basically hypocritical and dogmatic, I suppose the answer lies there.

For example, Christians purport to follow the teachings of Christ, who preached love, kindness, and forgiveness.

'Judge not, that ye be not judged.'  Matthew 7
'Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you.'  Matthew 5
'Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.'  Matthew 5

And yet, and yet, even though their prophet gave them these explicit instructions, Christians from the very time of Christ himself have been persecuting and killing those they consider nonbelievers.  And these have included everybody from Muslims during the Crusades, heretics in the time of the Inquisition (remember Joan of Arc?), down to Jews in WWII, and to homosexuals and women who would have abortions today.

Obviously, then, since hypocrites are able to hold two completely disparate concepts in their minds without any trouble, it should be no surprise to us that they can cheerfuly condone the slaughter of young men and women in war but condemn the so-called 'murder' of embryos. 

Were the pro-life people sincere in their stated desire to see the 'killing' stop, then they would of course include ALL killing in their philosophy.  But, even in the case of abortions, a lot of pro-life people make exceptions.  Killing is a sin, they say, but not only do they make exceptions for soldiers, but they also will make an exception in the case of a mother's life being at stake. 

In other words, some - but not all - killing is a sin.  Only the type of killing of which they disapprove is a sin. 

This is hardly a pincipled response, but it seems to satisfy them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2008 - 2:59PM #5
PaulaEdwina
Same way we can have a president who is prolife and pro-death penalty and was at one point the governor of a state I believe holds the record http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6513262/
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2008 - 3:11PM #6
isness
[QUOTE=PaulaEdwina;268956]Same way we can have a president who is prolife and pro-death penalty and was at one point the governor of a state I believe holds the record http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6513262/[/QUOTE]

Disturbing indeed.  If it weren't for the pro-life stance Bush never would have been elected. I can't believe how many people only consider ONE issue when they vote.  And I have no idea why he was elected the 2nd time around!
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2008 - 3:12PM #7
mountain_man

isness wrote:

Just wondering.  I've asked this question on outside abortion forums and nobody has ever offered an answer.
Thank You...

I've seen many excuses, but never a real answer. Some PLs are anti war and anti death penalty, but from what I've seen they are in the minority.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2008 - 4:23AM #8
SherriMunnerlyn
It seems like pro-life means only caring about a baby in it's mother's womb and life outside of that setting has no value. In my own church (Baptist), there are many who are against abortion, for war, and for capital punishment. I completely cannot understand that . That is not valuing life. Valuing life, to me as a Christian, is seeing everyone as made in the image of God  and loved equally by God. I believe all human life has value and we should treat each other with dignity and respect.

Jesus said love your enemies. We do not show love by taking human life in wars.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2008 - 8:57AM #9
isness
[QUOTE=SherriMunnerlyn;270531]It seems like pro-life means only caring about a baby in it's mother's womb and life outside of that setting has no value. In my own church (Baptist), there are many who are against abortion, for war, and for capital punishment. I completely cannot understand that . That is not valuing life. Valuing life, to me as a Christian, is seeing everyone as made in the image of God  and loved equally by God. I believe all human life has value and we should treat each other with dignity and respect.

Jesus said love your enemies. We do not show love by taking human life in wars.[/QUOTE]

Although I disagree with your position on abortion I deeply respect your convictions.
It seems that your reasoning is well thought out  and consistent.  I admire those who give issues honest consideration and don't necessarily go with the flow.  Blessings...
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2008 - 12:01PM #10
SherriMunnerlyn
[QUOTE=isness;270717]Although I disagree with your position on abortion I deeply respect your convictions.
It seems that your reasoning is well thought out  and consistent.  I admire those who give issues honest consideration and don't necessarily go with the flow.  Blessings...[/QUOTE]

isness,

I did not express my opinion of abortion. I do not support abortion, but I do not feel the proper way to deal with the problem is by making abortion universally illegal and forcing women to use coathangers or visit quack doctors for abortions or raise unwanted children who they abuse and neglect.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 24  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 24 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook