Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Death Penalty for Rape?
6 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2008 - 3:44PM #1
divalicious
[QUOTE=RiverMoonlady;455788]How about sentencing convicted rapists to have their penis, testicles and hands amputated?  That would sure keep them from raping again, while still keeping them alive.

After all, if our soldiers can come home from war and live productive lives after amputations, why couldn't criminals?  It would avoid the DP in these cases, and the punishment is no more cruel or unusual than the crime.[/QUOTE]

This might actually be a workable alternative. If the "bleeding hearts of the world unite club"  still insist on rapist monsters being able to live. Let it be like this. Just as you wrote it RiverMoonlady. I still favor death. After all, death truly is a complete leaving of society. But, your way could work.

Divalicious
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 19, 2008 - 11:08AM #2
petofi
First of all, I want to say that I am one of those rare characters on the political Left who does support the death penalty, at least when there is absolutely no doubt that the accused committed first-degree murder.  There's been a recent case in Louisiana where a man was sentenced to die for raping an 8-year-old girl.  The girl did survive.  Using the death penalty in this case does bother me.  The pervert who did this (or in future circumstances) might feel they might as well go ahead and murder their victim ("dead men tell no tells") since they'll be sentenced to die anyway.  I heard one official from Louisiana defending the death penalty in this case, and she made (in my opinion) a ludicrous statement saying something like, "Surviving an ordeal like this is going to be worse than death for this little girl."  I think her family begs to differ!!!!!!!!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 19, 2008 - 12:30PM #3
bubbysmommy
[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]I agree. While I do support the DP in a few rare cases, this is definitely not one of them. While this is indeed a gruesome crime, she did survive. The DP should never be utilized for anything short of murder. This sets a very bad precedent. [/COLOR]
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 19, 2008 - 1:17PM #4
becca97
[QUOTE=petofi;444924]First of all, I want to say that I am one of those rare characters on the political Left who does support the death penalty, at least when there is absolutely no doubt that the accused committed first-degree murder.  There's been a recent case in Louisiana where a man was sentenced to die for raping an 8-year-old girl.  The girl did survive.  Using the death penalty in this case does bother me.  The pervert who did this (or in future circumstances) might feel they might as well go ahead and murder their victim ("dead men tell no tells") since they'll be sentenced to die anyway.  I heard one official from Louisiana defending the death penalty in this case, and she made (in my opinion) a ludicrous statement saying something like, "Surviving an ordeal like this is going to be worse than death for this little girl."  I think her family begs to differ!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Where there is life there is hope, i wonder if that official would feel the same if she had been raped? I agree the DP in this case is indeed ridiculous. (or more ridiculous than normal for me as i'm against the DP anyway)

I tend to find the DP devalues lives in the socieities in which it is used, but thats for another thread.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 21, 2008 - 11:18PM #5
McAtheist
My only qualm about killing a man who rapes 8 year-old kids is that you have the right man.

If the evidence is iron-clad (like DNA from semen taken from her), then I see no reason to spare him.

As far as this leading to more rapists killing their victims, I would want to see evidence that fear of the death penalty has any effect on criminal behavior (except on the one you execute, obviously).
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2008 - 12:21PM #6
RiverMoonlady
How about sentencing convicted rapists to have their penis, testicles and hands amputated?  That would sure keep them from raping again, while still keeping them alive.

After all, if our soldiers can come home from war and live productive lives after amputations, why couldn't criminals?  It would avoid the DP in these cases, and the punishment is no more cruel or unusual than the crime.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2008 - 2:30PM #7
bubbysmommy
[QUOTE=RiverMoonlady;455788]How about sentencing convicted rapists to have their penis, testicles and hands amputated?  That would sure keep them from raping again, while still keeping them alive.

After all, if our soldiers can come home from war and live productive lives after amputations, why couldn't criminals?  It would avoid the DP in these cases, and the punishment is no more cruel or unusual than the crime.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Sienna"]It seems appropriate to me.[/COLOR]
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2008 - 10:55PM #8
McAtheist
RiverMoonLady ---

Would we have to pay for their re-education and support them if they couldn't support themselves?  That would be a negative for me. And it seems way crueler to me than just executing them.

However, if anyone was thinking about the punishment as being a deterrent to other people raping little girls, trotting some handless, dickless fellas out on stage might just do the trick.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2008 - 10:55PM #9
McAtheist
RiverMoonLady ---

Would we have to pay for their re-education and support them if they couldn't support themselves?  That would be a negative for me. And it seems way crueler to me than just executing them.

However, if anyone was thinking about the punishment as being a deterrent to other people raping little girls, trotting some handless, dickless fellas out on stage might just do the trick.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2008 - 7:00AM #10
SpellingB(AKA.KRU)
I support the DP for only 2 reasons Rape and Murder as does the word.I feel that child molestation is in the catagory of rape.I have shared all the documentation in other treads.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook