Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
6 years ago  ::  Aug 27, 2008 - 1:18PM #1
bubbysmommy
[FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Just wanted to post a link to the news story about the killers that escape from prison. This explains my point about killers still being a threat even if they are in prison.
http://http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/nationworld/sns-ap-jail-escape,0,5684798.story[/COLOR]
[/FONT]

[COLOR="Teal"]As long as they are not enforcing the DP in cases where it is warranted, there will always be escapes. These killers get out & terrorize the community. Sometimes even killing again. We are not safe from these monsters as long as they are alive.[/COLOR]
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 28, 2008 - 12:15AM #2
mountain_man

bubbysmommy wrote:

]Just wanted to post a link to the news story about the killers that escape from prison.....

Irrelevant. It is not right to kill someone because of something someone else might do.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 28, 2008 - 7:01AM #3
bubbysmommy
[QUOTE=mountain_man;720354]Irrelevant. It is not right to kill someone because of something someone else might do.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Green"]Had those killers been executed, they could not have escaped, now could they?[/COLOR]
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 28, 2008 - 11:45AM #4
mountain_man

bubbysmommy wrote:

Had those killers been executed, they could not have escaped, now could they?

As I said, it's irrelevant. Killing people is wrong no matter how many excuses you come up with.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 28, 2008 - 8:26PM #5
mytmouse57
[QUOTE=mountain_man;721104]As I said, it's irrelevant. Killing people is wrong no matter how many excuses you come up with.[/QUOTE]

Basic public safety is not an "excuse."

When people deliberately mess up, society is justified in taking away their rights, to varying degrees, according to the severity of the crime.

If you f*** up badly enough, do enough damage and pose a big enough threat to society, I think you risk losing your right to live.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 28, 2008 - 8:29PM #6
mountain_man
[QUOTE=mytmouse57;722338]Basic public safety is not an "excuse." .[/QUOTE]
Public safety is not served by killing people.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 28, 2008 - 10:44PM #7
bubbysmommy
[QUOTE=mountain_man;722349]Public safety is not served by killing people.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Red"]It is when you execute them so they cannot escape & kill again![/COLOR]
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 28, 2008 - 10:47PM #8
mytmouse57
"Public safety is not served by killing people."

Sure it is.

Some people, through their choices and actions, prove themselves not worth keeping alive.

Now, we might decide through our good graces to keep them so... but I would say they've given up -- or perhaps a better term would be thrown away -- their right to live.

This isn't completely academic to me.

I've covered quite a few murder trials. Some of the defendants, though clearly guilty, were simply people in strange or awful circumstances who made a bad choice or a series of bad choices -- and somebody else ended up dead.

In other cases -- well, try sitting a in close proximity to a person who really, truly is just plain freakin' evil -- and suddenly the death penalty starts making sense.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 28, 2008 - 11:51PM #9
mountain_man
[QUOTE=bubbysmommy;722685]It is when you execute them so they cannot escape & kill again![/QUOTE]
No, it just kills many people that would not kill. Killing people is not an answer. That's the strange part; you claim that killing people is wrong and you want to kill people to prove it. I'll never understand that.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 28, 2008 - 11:52PM #10
mountain_man
[QUOTE=mytmouse57;722692]"Public safety is not served by killing people."

Sure it is. [/QUOTE]
Nope, you just kill more people to show that killing people is wrong. It makes no sense.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook