7 years ago  ::  Jan 09, 2008 - 7:10PM #1
heldbygrace
So who's most guilty? Man or nature?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2008 - 10:46AM #2
isness
[QUOTE=heldbygrace;201466]So who's most guilty? Man or nature?[/QUOTE]

What is the point of this question?  How is it relevant who is MOST guilty?  The fact is, our
planet is in peril.  If there is ANYTHING we can do to slow down the process of global warming we should DO it!  It is our responsibility to take action to support the best possible outcome!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2008 - 6:33PM #3
Karma_yeshe_dorje
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2008 - 4:27PM #4
isness
[QUOTE=Karma_Yeshe_Dorje;279165]Take the Locus of Control and Attribution Style Test.[/QUOTE]

Score: 75
Very interesting.  It makes sense.  The only thing that I disagreed with is that it's healthy to place blame on external factors.  I think failure has to be looked at rationally.  Sure, if the road was slippery, it may be safe to say the road conditions*contribuited* to a car accident. 
I wouldn't say the accident happened *because* of the slippery road.  Knowing enough to be a cautious driver in rainy or snowy conditions is also a huge factor.  Know what I mean?

What was your score?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2008 - 6:41PM #5
BetteTheRedde

Karma_Yeshe_Dorje wrote:

Take the Locus of Control and Attribution Style Test.

I think that would be a great idea for a thread of its own. So I will. At some point (if I remember), as I have to be somewhere at 7. If I don't, maybe someone else will?

"Sometimes they are referred to as the 'radical Right.' But the fact is that there is nothing radical about them. They offer no novel solutions to the problems that plague them; indeed, they offer no solutions at all. They are immensely discontented with things as they are and furiously impatient with almost everyone in public office who can in any way be held responsible for their frustrations. But it cannot be said that they hold any clearly stated objectives or have any specific program either in common or individuals. They are fundamentally and temperamentally 'aginners.' And perhaps the commonest characteristic among them is anger. They can fairly be called, if nothing else, the Rampageous Right."

Alan Barth, New York Times, November 26, 1961
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2008 - 6:48PM #6
Karma_yeshe_dorje
I always scored strongly internal on that sort of test!

I used to teach road safety. The problem is not so much the hole in the road (which a skilled driver such as a racing driver could handle). But rather the inability of the ordinary driver to cope with unusual conditions!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2008 - 6:57PM #7
mountain_man

heldbygrace wrote:

So who's most guilty? Man or nature?

Do the math. Start with 19 pounds of CO2 produced for every gallon of gasoline burned in an internal combustion engine. Multiply that by [SIZE=-1]320,500,000 gallons of gasoline consumed daily (average for 2004). That's over 3,000 tons per day or 1,111,333,750 tons per year. And that is less than half of the total CO2 we add to the atmosphere. That should give you a clue.
[/SIZE]
One ton of CO2 occupies 556.2m³ of volume.
Every year the United States emits a 33.14cm high blanket of carbon dioxide              over its land area.
The combustion of  each gallon of conventional gasoline produces 4.867m³ or             171.88ft3 of              CO2.
(source: http://www.icbe.com/carbondatabase/CO2v … lation.asp)

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2008 - 9:12PM #8
LittleBuddha73
[QUOTE=heldbygrace;201466]So who's most guilty? Man or nature?[/QUOTE]

How can nature even be more than an iota in the equation? Humans are ruining the earth!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2008 - 9:42AM #9
isness
[QUOTE=LittleBuddha73;281948]How can nature even be more than an iota in the equation? Humans are ruining the earth![/QUOTE]

I do believe like in all living beings.....the earth is in constant flux.  Change is what life is.
Nothing ever remains the same....including the earth's climate.  However,  I do believe that humanity's reckless abuse of the earth has amplified the changes into fast forward motion.

I simply do not understand the denial going on with respect to human responsibility!
To deny any human  contribution to the state of the earth's current vulnerability is ignorant, lazy and selfish.  How difficult is it to drive around in a Prius rather than HUMMER? How difficult is it to recycle, to pay attention to excesses?  People don't want to change from their gluttonous ways. Our nation worships the God of Gluttony, and is willling to go to war to defend our right to be fat, lazy, ego-centric people of the earth!  Other nations are jealous of this?  I doubt it.  We are a pitiful joke in the eyes of the world.  Thank you George W. Bush.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2008 - 11:20PM #10
Karma_yeshe_dorje
[QUOTE]Mitsubishi executives in New Zealand are philosophical about the loss of the company's big car, the 380 sedan.

"It's not a big seller for us, representing about 1 per cent of volume," said Mitsubishi Motors NZ marketing manager Daniel Cook. "Not having it won't have a significant impact on us."

The Adelaide plant that built the 380 for New Zealand and Australia is to close on March 31, with the loss of about 1000 jobs. It has been bleeding money for years.

Mitsubishi Motors Australia and parent company Mitsubishi Motors Corporation blamed the closure on the sales shift away from large cars[/QUOTE]~New Zealand Herald~
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 11  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook