Page 6 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
Switch to Forum Live View (The death penalty in Texas works.)
6 years ago  ::  Oct 03, 2008 - 11:24AM #51
mountain_man
[QUOTE=dingaling;800920](In the state of Texas,)

The death penalty workd.

No convicted felon exsecuted by the state of Texas has ever gone on to kill again.[/QUOTE]
That's like saying that your rain dance worked. The thing is that when you started dancing it was already raining. In other words, your attempt at logic is fatally flawed.:D
Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 03, 2008 - 2:08PM #52
dingaling
And one of these prisoners escapes the death setence and goes on to kill you.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 03, 2008 - 2:48PM #53
mountain_man
[QUOTE=dingaling;801702]And one of these prisoners escapes the death setence and goes on to kill you.[/QUOTE]
You have yet to prove that any of them would have killed anyone. You're trying to justify killing people for what you believe they might do. That's not a very nice way to do things.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2009 - 3:18PM #54
Cooper
[QUOTE=aquinasmind;707736]Forgiveness does not imply amnesty. One can be forgiven and still have to suffer the consequences for ones actions. I am sorry for your loss and while I respect your belief against the death penalty, I also know many people who are murder victim surviors who are in favor of the death penalty. The argument that the Death Penalty is "Vengence" is logically flawed, in that ultimately it seeks to get the listener to give in to appeal to emotion. When one hears "Vengence" one thinks of a lynching, or an angry mob with pitchforks and torches, or a posse assembled to mete out some sort of frontier justice. This does not happen currently in our Judicial System. Any indictment for Capital Murder follows a trial and appelate review process (Habeus Corpus). Our Republic was founded upon rule of law, and as such citizens agree collectively to delegate some of their natural rights to the State, most notably the right of the State to use Justifiable force to protect its citizenry. To argue that the Legal Death Penalty is essentially the same as the Murderer who took the life of the innocent victim is like arguing that a police officer who speeds to catch a speeder is just as guilty of breaking the law. This is not the case and the Constitution makes this clear. Unfortunately when I hear many arguments against the death penalty they do not have their basis in reason but in strict emotion, however our rule of law does not have its basis in emotion, but in due process, facts, and reason.[/QUOTE]

Excellent post!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2009 - 4:08PM #55
mountain_man
[QUOTE=Cooper;1036614]Excellent post![/QUOTE]
Except that they did not get one thing right.

And there should be a rule against reopening a thread that has been dead for almost 3 months.:rolleyes:

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2009 - 4:58PM #56
bubbysmommy
[QUOTE=mountain_man;1036725]Except that they did not get one thing right.

And there should be a rule against reopening a thread that has been dead for almost 3 months.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="Teal"]They got everything right.[/COLOR][/FONT]
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2009 - 5:13PM #57
mountain_man
[QUOTE=bubbysmommy;1036856]They got everything right.[/QUOTE]
They got the spelling right, but that's about it. The posting showed a complete devaluing of human life and placed a higher value on revenge.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 28, 2009 - 4:27PM #58
mountain_man

richardt wrote:

> I don't think it is revenge,

It's all about revenge.

it's about permanently removing from society those who reject societies most basic guidelines of premeditated murder.

That can be done via other means.

...everyone's happy except those barking about "civil rights."

I pity those that try to denigrate civil rights, human rights, because when those rights are taken away from them, they cry like a stuck pig.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook