Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View (The death penalty in Texas works.)
6 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2008 - 4:36AM #1
dingaling
Any convicted felon exsecuted by the state of Texas has ever gone on to kill again.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2008 - 11:03AM #2
mountain_man

dingaling wrote:

Any convicted felon exsecuted by the state of Texas has ever gone on to kill again.

Yet their murder rate has not gone down?

I'd explain how the death penalty devalues life for the whole society and that's why the DP is ineffective in lowering the rate for any crime they use it for; but I have more productive things to do.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2008 - 11:18AM #3
dingaling
So does war.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2008 - 1:08PM #4
Tmarie64
[QUOTE]Any convicted felon exsecuted by the state of Texas has ever gone on to kill again.[/QUOTE]

"Ever"???   My guess is that they never kill again.

Well, DUH!  That's about as silly a comment as I've ever heard.   My mom, dead for the last 13 years, has not called me to see how I'm doing.  My dad, dead for the last 24 years, doesn't complain that I don't keep my yard the way he taught me.
My father in law, dead 2 years, doesn't talk about how much he hates me.
What's your point?  OF COURSE DEAD MEN DON'T KILL.
Doesn't mean the dp works, it just means that they KILL people.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2008 - 1:11PM #5
mountain_man

dingaling wrote:

So does war.

Which is precisely why I am against war.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2008 - 1:13PM #6
mountain_man

Tmarie64 wrote:

Doesn't mean the dp works, it just means that they KILL people.

You're right. I don't think I could ever understand the idea behind killing people to show that killing people is wrong. It makes no sense.:confused:

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2008 - 1:21PM #7
dingaling
[QUOTE=Tmarie64;664319]"Ever"???   My guess is that they never kill again.

Well, DUH!  That's about as silly a comment as I've ever heard.   My mom, dead for the last 13 years, has not called me to see how I'm doing.  My dad, dead for the last 24 years, doesn't complain that I don't keep my yard the way he taught me.
My father in law, dead 2 years, doesn't talk about how much he hates me.
What's your point?  OF COURSE DEAD MEN DON'T KILL.
Doesn't mean the dp works, it just means that they KILL people.[/QUOTE]
It is not uncomen for convicted criminoles to be relegated to the general population to kill fellow inmates.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2008 - 1:27PM #8
mountain_man

dingaling wrote:

It is not uncomen [sic] for convicted criminoles [sic]  to be relegated to the general population to kill fellow inmates.

It is not as common as you would like to believe.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2008 - 2:33PM #9
Druac
That is what the death penalty is about for me. It has nothing to do with morality or trying to prevent something, in my honest opinion and my support for it.

Does the death penalty prevent any thing? I doubt it very seriously.

Does the death penalty provide justice? It depends on who is seeking it.

If someone brutally murdered my loved one, I would prefer to impose the death sentence myself, but I will take it from the system if that is the best I can get.
Jesus Is My Savior...He Saves Me From REALITY!
---------------------------------------------
We created god in our own image and likeness!
[George Carlin]
---------------------------------------------
"Reason & Logic" - A Damn Good Slogan!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2008 - 2:42PM #10
mountain_man

Druac wrote:

That is what the death penalty is about for me. It has nothing to do with morality or trying to prevent something, in my honest opinion and my support for it.

Does the death penalty prevent any thing? I doubt it very seriously.

Does the death penalty provide justice? It depends on who is seeking it.

If someone brutally murdered my loved one, I would prefer to impose the death sentence myself, but I will take it from the system if that is the best I can get.

That's revenge, not justice. Someone you love has a greater chance of being brutally murdered in a society that condones the death penalty then in one that does not. Wouldn't it be better to PREVENT their murder than to deal with it afterwards? I know it's hard for some to imagine, but eliminating the death penalty will save lives.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook