Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Switch to Forum Live View Should the death penalty be used for rape?
6 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2009 - 9:23PM #41
Wmdkitty

Aug 1, 2008 -- 6:24PM, Marcyy wrote:

I am totally againt the death penalty. But when I see someone post  such a stupid thing and say that the death penalty should be used for rapists, it makes me shudder at the lack of humanity and reasoning that people show.  Rape is a very bad offence against women. The use of force, the brutalization, the totally demeaning use of over-powering another person to inflict one's will against someone less strong and ill equipped to defend one's self is a very bad thing, but if there was no loss of life, there is no reason to inflict the death penalty.  Also, what about the false accusations of rape?

Rape KILLS THE SOUL, it utterly destroys the woman.

The rapist should serve the same sentence, suffer the same soul-death as his victim.

The only "false" accusations I've encountered are made by women who were pressured by their pastors or their families to cry "rape" because they committed the sin of ENJOYING SEX and feel guilty about it. A thorough investigation will show which claims are true and which are not. These women should be sentenced to life in prison, no exceptions.

What bothers me is that rapists currently get off with a slap on the hand. Locally, a man was sentenced to five years for repeatedly raping two young girls. The justice system doesn't do enough for the victims.

"The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments in a courthouse: You cannot post "Thou shalt not steal", Thou shalt not commit adultery" and "Thou shalt not lie" in a building full of lawyers, judges and politicians. It creates a hostile work environment." -- George Carlin
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2009 - 9:25PM #42
Wmdkitty

Jan 4, 2009 -- 8:24PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

The death penalty would not be appropriate for rape.  But, what about castration as punishment for rape?

Only if it involves a dull, rusty spoon...

"The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments in a courthouse: You cannot post "Thou shalt not steal", Thou shalt not commit adultery" and "Thou shalt not lie" in a building full of lawyers, judges and politicians. It creates a hostile work environment." -- George Carlin
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2009 - 7:31PM #43
bubbysmommy

Mar 27, 2009 -- 2:16PM, Nightbreaker wrote:

Punishing rape with death is unconstitutional via Coker v. Georgia (1977).  Of course, Coker only said that DP was disproportional for the crime of raping an adult; there is at least one state that has a law on the books to have child rape punished by death, and I know that there is a case currently being appealed by someone sentenced to death under that law; it will be interesting to see whether they are allowed to execute him; my guess is that the law will be overturned at the federal level, but that's just a guess.

As for castration, it is considered cruel and unusual punishment.  However, castration may be chosen by an inmate in certain states in exchange for a reduction in his sentence.

As heinous as Rape is, I still do not feel that a rapist, under any circumstances, should be executed. Unless of course the victim was killed in the course of the rape. I say this with near disgust, because as a mother of a young boy that was raped, I wanted nothing more than to kill the Bastard that hurt him. However, my son did indeed survive & I still have him. I think that the DP should be reserved for those that murder another.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2009 - 10:30AM #44
karbie

Castration only increases the rage and desire for power....although I will admit that skinning the object in question with a dull razor blade has its appeal, since the skin will grow back eventually. Even a bad sunburn works for me; 3rd degree of course. It's not deadly;it's not permanent, but it might be a deterrent. But even adversion therapy doesn't always work.

Kill the rapist and they kill the victim. No possible reason to keep them alive and every reason not to. I think that pedophiles are the worst both because of the helplessness of the victim and the risk that they will be handing the problem on. Priests? They're supposed to be celibate; neuter them. They ceased to have any relationship with God the moment they touched a child.

I'd like life imprisonment for anyone who rapes a child, but it increases the danger to the victim again. Should each and every act be sentenced? Yep. Consequently if possible in the hopes it will make them decide if it is really worth it.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2009 - 9:22AM #45
bubbysmommy

OK I am going to tell you all something. We just came from a CPO hearing involving the person that raped our son. While the CPO has been extended for another 5yrs, there are a few provisions that have been relaxed. This rapist is no longer being forced to leave a public area if we area there. He is not allowed to approach or speak to our son or us. The CPO before has a distance restriction that made it so that he could not be within 500yds of any of us. That has now been relaxed to 150. So, I am incredibly Pi*@ed off right now to say the least! What good is this now?

Having said all of that, I still do not believe that the rapist should have been put to death. After all, we still have our beautiful son & I can still hug him & hold him everyday. That for me is the essence of why I do not believe in the DP for rape. Would I have liked to have seen him in jaiol for the rest of his life? HELL YES!! That did not happen either. So, we must deal with things as they come & move on. Otherwise it will eat us alive. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2009 - 12:09PM #46
becca97

Apr 9, 2009 -- 9:22AM, bubbysmommy wrote:

OK I am going to tell you all something. We just came from a CPO hearing involving the person that raped our son. While the CPO has been extended for another 5yrs, there are a few provisions that have been relaxed. This rapist is no longer being forced to leave a public area if we area there. He is not allowed to approach or speak to our son or us. The CPO before has a distance restriction that made it so that he could not be within 500yds of any of us. That has now been relaxed to 150. So, I am incredibly Pi*@ed off right now to say the least! What good is this now?

Having said all of that, I still do not believe that the rapist should have been put to death. After all, we still have our beautiful son & I can still hug him & hold him everyday. That for me is the essence of why I do believe in the DP for rape. Would I have liked to have seen him in jaiol for the rest of his life? HELL YES!! That did not happen either. So, we must deal with things as they come & move on. Otherwise it will eat us alive. 

BM i'm so sad for you and your son, at least the vitally important restrictions such as contact and speaking to etc are still in place.

god knows it is crappy to have to see ones rapist and have to suck it up; there are support websites and things out there though (thanks to bnets policy i can't share any with you but a good google search should find you some decent ones) if one does have to interact with ones rapist or see them even, for so many rape vics childrenand adults alike they either don't report the rape or it goes unprosecuted and as many rapes are by folks in the same community/neighbourhood or family there are so many people faced with actually having to talk with, smile with even hug (familiy) which all plays into the rapists control of their 'victim' - these orgs help folks who do have to see and worse their rapist to stay survivors and not become 'victims' again.

(hope i havn't overstepped any bounds here, and hope your son is okay)

bx

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2009 - 12:46PM #47
bubbysmommy

Becca,

No you have not overstepped at all! It is incredibly caring of you & I do appreciate the info. There was a word missing in my original post however. It should have read

" That for me is the essence of why I do not believe in the DP for rape."

The word not was omitted & it should not have been.

As for our son & our family? We are OK. He understands what all of this means & that there is a very real chance that he will run into the monster. I think that he will handle the situation with grace & dignity, just as we have raised him. The whole point to that post was to try to bring home the reality of why the DP ion cases of rape just is not warranted. Even when it is a child that is assaulted. As I said. We can still hold & hug our son every single day. That is what is the most important thing to us. If the DP were mandated for rape, more of the victims would be killed. I cannot imagine our life without our son. As long as the victim is still here & we can hold & hug them, prison terms are fine with me.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2009 - 1:12AM #48
Mumoffour

This is obviously a very contentious issue having been ongoing since August last year!  Firstly, I do not agree with rapists being given the death penalty as I agree with both Karbie and bubbysmommy that this would only result in victims being killed.

Bubbysmommy, I am so sorry to hear about your son, as a mother of four children, I can only imagine the horror of the situation.  I hope you find the support and compassion you need to cope with the trauma. 

I believe there should be tougher jail sentences and other laws in order to protect these innocent people from the predators who take away their trust and hope.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2009 - 8:30AM #49
becca97

Mar 26, 2009 -- 9:23PM, Wmdkitty wrote:

Aug 1, 2008 -- 6:24PM, Marcyy wrote:

I am totally againt the death penalty. But when I see someone post  such a stupid thing and say that the death penalty should be used for rapists, it makes me shudder at the lack of humanity and reasoning that people show.  Rape is a very bad offence against women. The use of force, the brutalization, the totally demeaning use of over-powering another person to inflict one's will against someone less strong and ill equipped to defend one's self is a very bad thing, but if there was no loss of life, there is no reason to inflict the death penalty.  Also, what about the false accusations of rape?

Rape KILLS THE SOUL, it utterly destroys the woman.

Please do NOT presume to speak for other surviors and victims of rape, if you were raped and suffered a soul death you have my overhwelming empathy but many folks SURVIVE and do NOT suffer soul death, they are abel to go on and life and enjoy life, al bei t after theraputic and support etc.

The rapist should serve the same sentence, suffer the same soul-death as his victim.

"an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" --- i agree rapists should be given a severe sentance, but death or casteration is truly an evil in itself.

The only "false" accusations I've encountered are made by women who were pressured by their pastors or their families to cry "rape" because they committed the sin of ENJOYING SEX and feel guilty about it. A thorough investigation will show which claims are true and which are not. These women should be sentenced to life in prison, no exceptions.

they should have to meet the person they falsely accused and realise the pain they have caused; - often long term pain as many people will say 'no smoke without fire' -- also sex therapy would be healthy for them -- and not all false claims are discovered by thorough investigations, sometimes the accuser has done the job very well indeed, and not all 'rape' claims are for the reasons you assert, revenge for being dumped or cheated on comes fairly high on the reasons according to pertinant stats. (BCS)

What bothers me is that rapists currently get off with a slap on the hand. Locally, a man was sentenced to five years for repeatedly raping two young girls. The justice system doesn't do enough for the victims.

this is true, however going to entirly the other extreme isn't going to help either -- if a rapist is going to get the same sentance for leaving victims alive as they are for killing them then what is the incentive for them not to kill, a dead victim can't be a witness in court, especially one which has bene cleaned before a body dump/hide.

Speaking personally i prefer being an alive survivor rather than a dead victim.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2009 - 1:23AM #50
karbie

The "An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth" was not a Biblical punishment but comes instead for the first set of codified laws, the "Code of Hammurrabi". Even then, it wasn't an absolute penalty unless you were poor. If a rich person damaged another person's slave, they had to pay the owner a fine or buy the slave. If a rich person hurt a free man who was poor, once again they could buy their way out of it. The punishment if an owner had one of his slaves damage another was up to the owner. Of course if a poor man put out anyone else's eye, etc, the law was carried out.

Too many rapists kill their victims as it is; they don't need any more incentives to do so. But for multiple offenders convicted by DNA evidence, their names, faces, and which prison they were being sent to should feature prominently enough in the news for them to have a welcoming party from the other inmates--especially if the victims were children. I realize that isn't a particularly noble or legal sentiment, but you'll notice I was referring to rapists who had been convicted more than once with multiple victims and their DNA found places it had no business being. I know all the reasons why it can't and shouldn't be done, but thinking about bm's son made me share my own daydream of " letting the punishment fit the crime."

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook