Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 12 of 12  •  Prev 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12
Switch to Forum Live View Lying to Children about Santa
10 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2008 - 10:38PM #111
solfeggio
A 'hen fest'?  Who the hell do you think you are to make a sexist comment like that?  Lying to children about Santa has to do with buying gifts and giving them to children and telling them that they came from this invisible guy who lives at the North Pole.  If you're going to buy into that little fantasy, then you have to get presents for the rugrats, and that means spending money.  If you can find stuff at discount prices, all the better.

You got a problem with that, mister?
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2008 - 12:51AM #112
Marcyy
I believe lying to children about Santa is very harmful. One can have the magic of Chrtstmas without
Santa being in it at all.

An example. Two children from different homes are both taught that Santa leaves them toys. One child is from a poor home and gets very few toys, and of the cheapest variety. The other child is from a wealthy home, and has many expensive presents. When the two children compare what "Santa" broutht them, how do you think the poor child feels?

And what about parents telling children after Christmas "If you are not good I will tell Santa to come and take back all your toys". I have heard this on numerous occasions and wince.

Santa has no place in Christmas. You can have a tree, and presents, without resorting to lying.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Dec 22, 2007 - 12:41PM #113
DAH54
I suppose that would depend on just what you tell them, and what they ask? I've never been told you sit on Santa lap and he gives you all that you want.

For Technical support visit

> Dah's User to User Self Support <

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Oct 11, 2010 - 9:53AM #114
jesus2point3

Mar 14, 2008 -- 11:31PM, solfeggio wrote:

Marcyy - Bless you. You're a love. No, actually, I think you're a real mensch. (I'll leave it to you to look that one up. But, rest assured that it is a complimentary term.) Anyway, of course I have nothing against giving gifts to kids. I'm not Scrooge! And, in fact, we all enjoy watching movies like 'Miracle on 34th Street'...

Since this is a public forum I'll thank you for the blessing. Know that I'm virtually jesus christ & I'm not about love. I don't know if I'm a "real mensch", but I've got my reasons for what I do.

I've got to tell you the truth, I know about a miracle too. This one didn't take place in Brooklyn, it's happenin' near Hazleton, that's where you'll find Harman Geist Stadium (google it, take a sightseeing trip, and I HOPE that you will giggle. If you don't it will not CHANGE the image, so get over it).

Anyway, about that miracle. You see, while i'm only virtually jesus christ, in reality I've become Mr. Jesus 2.3 & i've got the mail to prove it. The U.S. Postal service thinx that i'm real. Will you help the world in understanding the truth?

Or will you keep imagining something John Lennon asked you to do? In reality, if you don't want to lie to your children, you've got to stop lieing to yourself.

I'm no liar people, In reality I'm tellin' you the truth!

Moderated by Stardove on Jan 14, 2011 - 01:07AM
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2012 - 7:46PM #115
klm

When I was younger I believed in Santa.  Eventually and gradually I stopped.   I can't imagine not bbeing allowed that small amount of fantasy I experienced as a child.   Yes Im a Christian.   But being Christian doesn't mean not letting your kids imaginations grow and experience such excitement.   My kids are grown and I miss that excitement coming ftrom the little ones.  Nothing unChristian about it.    

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2012 - 7:50PM #116
klm

Sep 25, 2012 -- 7:46PM, klm wrote:

When I was younger I believed in Santa.  Eventually and gradually I stopped.   I can't imagine not bbeing allowed that small amount of fantasy I experienced as a child.   Yes Im a Christian.   But being Christian doesn't mean not letting your kids imaginations grow and experience such excitement.   My kids are grown and I miss that excitement coming ftrom the little ones.  Nothing unChristian about it.    

also I never once thought OMG my parents lied.  I also came from a family with little money.  We each got about 3-4 presents, thats it.  Neighbors that were better off gave more.   I never thought it's not fair.   I was so happy with the 3-4.     I think some see problems a wrongs where none exist. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2012 - 3:14PM #117
Mastergunny

I'm a Christian and scripture tells us;

But now after you have known God, or rather are known by God, how is it that you turn again to the weak and beggarly elements, to which you desire again to be in bondage? You observe days and months and seasons and years.  I am afraid for you, lest I have labored for you in vain. (Gal 4:9-11)

Should we even observe this day or is it just a tradition some of us just blindly follow?

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2012 - 7:09AM #118
jesus2point3

Sep 25, 2012 -- 7:46PM, klm wrote:

When I was young I believed a man was once God, but now I know the truth about reality. I don't imagine a world that's never been, while I live the American Dream, and I happen to be a Libertarian Muslim.

My kids where raised Catholic, but I was an agnostic, and Christmas was just another day, like all the others, but we did buy into all the hoopla. It helps those who chase their profits of dollars & cents, but does it really help you make sense of the profits of God?

Peace be with them all, and all of you too. May you & your loved ones live long & prosper also. Just don't forget that we're all in this together, and remember . . .

. . . you can't take all those presents with you when you're gone.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 12 of 12  •  Prev 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook