Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View The Noose;An American nightmare
10 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2008 - 8:07PM #11
becca97
[QUOTE=Hildulf;195839]Ah yes. My ignorance on the topic.
Because I recognize that it has been misapplied against many different sorts of people throughout history for political as well as misjudgment reasons.

There is a fair bit of ignorance on the topic, but I think it's on purpose, and I don't think it's mine.

Perhaps you missed the part where I acknowledged its misapplication by an American racist organization?
I simply acknowledge that it has also been misused by many other people and organizations against people of all colors and belief systems.[/QUOTE]

i missed nothing unfortunatly.

Quite how you can relate the use of the noose as a tool of capital punishment or war time attrocities to the consistant and prejudicial use of the noose SPECIFICALLY against those of black races even in the present day is really beyond anyone who actualy grasps social history and reality.

meanwhile as it is obvious you enjoy being ignorant i'll leave you to it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2008 - 9:41PM #12
becca97
Article on the noose and its meaning to black people in america today

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/11/01/nooses/index.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/10/ … 6929.shtml

Quite how anyone can be so ignorant as to imagine the noose does not have very real meanings to black people in todays america is beyond common sense.

really all it takes is a little empathy, knowledge and social imagination.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jan 09, 2008 - 10:33AM #13
Hildulf
[QUOTE=becca97;196154]Article on the noose and its meaning to black people in america today

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/11/01/nooses/index.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/10/ … 6929.shtml

Quite how anyone can be so ignorant as to imagine the noose does not have very real meanings to black people in todays america is beyond common sense.

really all it takes is a little empathy, knowledge and social imagination.[/QUOTE]

Heh. Again, you're misunderstanding. This is pretty common for you, isn't it?

My point isn't that blacks aren't offended by the noose. My point is that it's NOT JUST a symbol of oppression against the blacks. If you would have read, you would see that I said it's not solely against the blacks.
I'm thinking you're young.... 15-19 range, yes?
Everything you post shows that you're young and while focused on your subject, unable to see other points, or wider concepts. Also, unable to see when someone partly agrees with you.
The other point is that you seem to believe you know all the ins and outs of a foreign social issue in which you're not involved.  That is a particular attribute the very young and idealistic have. Notice, not the young and/or idealistic, but the young AND idealistic.
Idealism is commendable, but don't even pretend to believe you truly understand the race issues of a foreign nation until you've lived them.
You can read this and read that, but until you've lived in it, you don't have a true understanding of it.
Experience trumps articles.
EVERY time.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jan 09, 2008 - 11:10AM #14
becca97
[QUOTE=Hildulf;200261]Heh. Again, you're misunderstanding. This is pretty common for you, isn't it?

LOL my, my you do try so hard to be patornising ... and yet fail so utterly miserably.

My point isn't that blacks aren't offended by the noose. My point is that it's NOT JUST a symbol of oppression against the blacks. If you would have read, you would see that I said it's not solely against the blacks.

As a tool of racial oppression it has been used against the blacks in a much more insidious manner than it has against any other group of people ... As unfortunate as other instances are they are just not comparible.

I'm thinking you're young.... 15-19 range, yes?

LOL err no ... now do stop trying ot be patronising your failing and only demonstrating your own lack of knowledge ... yet again i might add.

Everything you post shows that you're young and while focused on your subject, unable to see other points, or wider concepts. Also, unable to see when someone partly agrees with you.

Yep see when folks start doing that trying to be patronising thing it generally means they have no pertinant arguments left to support their often untenable possition. 

The other point is that you seem to believe you know all the ins and outs of a foreign social issue in which you're not involved.  That is a particular attribute the very young and idealistic have. Notice, not the young and/or idealistic, but the young AND idealistic.

Or an attribute of someone who DOES actually know the ins and outs .... Now take this for example we have on one had yourself someone who does not even grasp the basic premise of social exclusion a condition we know is not particular just to the UK aside form anythign else on this very forum other americans talk at length about the issue and on the other someone who is not only currently studying all aspects of western society formally but has since a very young age been active in international human rights issues has friends across the globe including in america of varying races and backgrounds who does grasp spcial exclusion and related issues .....

Try to stick to the arguments at hand and stop trying to be patronising you are failing miserably at both. At least if you argue the points you might learn somethign or aid others in learning just how not to examine social issues.

Idealism is commendable, but don't even pretend to believe you truly understand the race issues of a foreign nation until you've lived them.
You can read this and read that, but until you've lived in it, you don't have a true understanding of it.
Experience trumps articles.
EVERY time.[/QUOTE]

Experience and knoweldge yes .... and yet you have demonstrated a grasp of neither ... said it before and wil lsay it again go away and learn about social exclusion until you demonstrate soem grasp of that basic premise there is really no point in continuing to help you show yourself up.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook