Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The Noose;An American nightmare
7 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2007 - 2:23PM #1
nicoletate
Did anyone else get a chance to watch the resent program about the noose that aired on CNN over the weekend.   It was very horrific to watch, and I just don't see how we will ever get over the dark history of America, especially when racism won't let us forget it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2007 - 2:23PM #2
nicoletate
Did anyone else get a chance to watch the resent program about the noose that aired on CNN over the weekend.   It was very horrific to watch, and I just don't see how we will ever get over the dark history of America, especially when racism won't let us forget it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2007 - 12:58PM #3
information_dissemination
The tactics may be different in todays society in that in can be things like denial of services but the reason is the same.
Get informed
Racism is still alive and it includes minorities of  all races from Asians, Middle Eastern, Hispanic to  Blacks.
The terminology is hidden in terms like sundown towns, pseudo scientific fiction

Check out the book see the map for current racist towns especially in diverse NY state.It's not just history.

http://www.uvm.edu/~jloewen/sundowntowns.php

not a book to check out but the type of garbage racism can try to use as legitimate
http://www.nysun.com/article/27946
When Scientific Ideology Was a Mask for Racism
By ADAM KIRSCH
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2008 - 1:50PM #4
Hildulf
Uhm. Yeah.

Because only minorities have ever been hanged by the neck until dead.

Tell that to one of my ancestors who was hung by Union Troops for no other reason than they were basically bored.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2008 - 2:54PM #5
becca97
[QUOTE=Hildulf;195028]Uhm. Yeah.

Because only minorities have ever been hanged by the neck until dead.

Tell that to one of my ancestors who was hung by Union Troops for no other reason than they were basically bored.[/QUOTE]

To understand the difference i suggest you listen to this video http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=h4ZyuULy9zs .... and realise that up until very recent times black people could and where killed just for being black by people who were upstanding folks in society.

indeed if you review the miscarriges of justice cases in the US much of them are black victims of institutional racism.

and watch this one for good measure http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JWdeE3wq5 … re=related

indeed in america today the noose is used as s symbol by racists to abuse and torment black kids and people. So no as unfortunate an occurance as your realtion went through it is not the same as the issue under discussion here.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2008 - 3:08PM #6
Hildulf
The point is that the noose has been used for ... oh... a LONG time to hang people of all colors, creeds, religions, sexes, sexualities, and any other demographic you can think of for any or no reason.
Have blacks been negatively affected by nooses?
Absolutely, without question.

So have many many other people.

Nobody has the market cornered on being offended by the symbol of a noose.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2008 - 3:53PM #7
becca97
[QUOTE=Hildulf;195226]The point is that the noose has been used for ... oh... a LONG time to hang people of all colors, creeds, religions, sexes, sexualities, and any other demographic you can think of for any or no reason.
Have blacks been negatively affected by nooses?
Absolutely, without question.

So have many many other people.

Nobody has the market cornered on being offended by the symbol of a noose.[/QUOTE]

ku klux klan ....
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2008 - 6:20PM #8
Hildulf
What about them?
Did they use the noose?
Yes.

So did a boatload of American judges in the 18th, 19th and early 20th centuries against alleged outlaws of all colors. Some of whom were innocent.
So did Union troops in the American Civil War who used it against Southern whites and blacks when they were bored. 
So did British magistrates, judges, and lords from the Middle Ages into the early 20th century... and amazingly... very few of those hung in those times were black.
Now, I realize you're focused on the noose in America, and solely on its connotations between black lynchees and and white lynchers. My point is that it's just another thing for people to attempt to say, "That caused MY people grief! Therefor it's against ME, and only my people!"

It's quite akin to condemning any and all usage of the Fylfot (Sanskrit: Swastika), because a sawed off, half-moustachioed psychopathic fanatical Catholic used it to symbolize his Reich.

The difference?
There's no positive connotations to the noose.
Not for blacks. Not for whites. Not for Latinos. Not for Asians. Not for Middle-Easterners.

So... why focus on it as a negative symbol SOLELY against the American blacks?
THAT is ignoring its brutal misapplication throughout history EXCEPT for when misapplied against the blacks.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2008 - 7:16PM #9
becca97
[QUOTE=Hildulf;195683]What about them?
Did they use the noose?
Yes.

they used nooses not only to hang ONLY black folks and other non whites BUT also as a symbol of terror and oppression THAT is what makes it different.

So did a boatload of American judges in the 18th, 19th and early 20th centuries against alleged outlaws of all colors. Some of whom were innocent.
So did Union troops in the American Civil War who used it against Southern whites and blacks when they were bored. 
So did British magistrates, judges, and lords from the Middle Ages into the early 20th century... and amazingly... very few of those hung in those times were black.

However NONE of these with the possible exception of union troops and even then one has GOT to look at the context IE it was wartime used the noose to inspire terror as well as, as a tool of oppression and fear ... THAT is what makes it different in the case of examining race issues particularly in America.

Now, I realize you're focused on the noose in America, and solely on its connotations between black lynchees and and white lynchers. My point is that it's just another thing for people to attempt to say, "That caused MY people grief! Therefor it's against ME, and only my people!"

... as it happens this is one of those cases where it is ONLY applicable to american race issues because of the ramapent misuse of the noose towards blacks throughout history including modern history.

It's quite akin to condemning any and all usage of the Fylfot (Sanskrit: Swastika), because a sawed off, half-moustachioed psychopathic fanatical Catholic used it to symbolize his Reich.

No he didn't as it happens he used a perverted swastika that by al rights aught be called somethign else .... and no it isn't the same peopel flipping over the use of the genuine swastika are doing so out of ignorance ... whereas the negative use of the noose is well documented tormenting, fear indusing, oppressive behaviour form certain ignorant white folks to those of black origins.

The difference?
There's no positive connotations to the noose.
Not for blacks. Not for whites. Not for Latinos. Not for Asians. Not for Middle-Easterners.

So... why focus on it as a negative symbol SOLELY against the American blacks?
THAT is ignoring its brutal misapplication throughout history EXCEPT for when misapplied against the blacks.[/QUOTE]

Oh for gods sake go away and read up on the history of the noose as used agaisnt black americans even in modern times and just maybe you will be able to counter your massive ignorance on the topic ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2008 - 7:23PM #10
Hildulf
Ah yes. My ignorance on the topic.
Because I recognize that it has been misapplied against many different sorts of people throughout history for political as well as misjudgment reasons.

There is a fair bit of ignorance on the topic, but I think it's on purpose, and I don't think it's mine.

Perhaps you missed the part where I acknowledged its misapplication by an American racist organization?
I simply acknowledge that it has also been misused by many other people and organizations against people of all colors and belief systems.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook