Switch to Forum Live View MP's relax abortion laws
6 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2007 - 9:47PM #1
IHOP
Kind of an update on the "abort defects" thread...

(* indicates link)

*MPs want clearer rules on abortion of the disabled

key quote (IMHO)

There are also concerns about the advice given to women carrying foetuses with disabilities. A London clinic for children with Down's syndrome told the inquiry women were "expected" to have a termination and questioned repeatedly if they chose otherwise.

I guess it's my personal bias, but I find it horrible that folks would want to abort a baby due to an abnormality, but to have it RECOMMENDED... (especially for downs syndrome and similar )

*MPs plan to relax law on early abortions in biggest change for 40 years

Options expected to be put before MPs include proposals allowing nurses to carry out abortions in the first 13 weeks without a doctor present, letting mothers undergo terminations at home and permitting abortions without the need for two doctors' signatures.

I thought this whole legalizing thing was to AVOID home abortions.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2007 - 11:19PM #2
doxieman122
[QUOTE=IHOP;31839]Kind of an update on the "abort defects" thread...

(* indicates link)

*MPs want clearer rules on abortion of the disabled

key quote (IMHO)

There are also concerns about the advice given to women carrying foetuses with disabilities. A London clinic for children with Down's syndrome told the inquiry women were "expected" to have a termination and questioned repeatedly if they chose otherwise.

I guess it's my personal bias, but I find it horrible that folks would want to abort a baby due to an abnormality, but to have it RECOMMENDED... (especially for downs syndrome and similar )

*MPs plan to relax law on early abortions in biggest change for 40 years

Options expected to be put before MPs include proposals allowing nurses to carry out abortions in the first 13 weeks without a doctor present, letting mothers undergo terminations at home and permitting abortions without the need for two doctors' signatures.

I thought this whole legalizing thing was to AVOID home abortions.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't hold out much hope of this not happening (and I'm pro-choice and I, like Lord David Steel, am not sure this is a good idea).  Dawn Primarolo, the health minister, is an avowed leftist -- the ideological equivalent of a Maxine Waters or a Barbara Lee in the Democratic Party.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook