Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View cheese alternatives
7 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2007 - 5:52PM #1
bluehorserunning
I've heard that there are decent brands and terrible brands.

which are decent? which are terrible?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2007 - 7:02PM #2
becca97

bluehorserunning wrote:

Well i'm not sure if it is available over where you are but a european company (i think they are now run from Scotland) sell SCheese which comes in chedder style, edam style, cheddar with chives style, mozzarella style even stilton style and the quality of these are very, very good. I don't really do the other kinds of fake cheese as frankly they taste like old socks half the time.

You can homemake some, there are various recipes i shall find some and post them tomorrow if i get the chance.

beccaxx

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2007 - 7:02PM #3
becca97

bluehorserunning wrote:

Well i'm not sure if it is available over where you are but a european company (i think they are now run from Scotland) sell SCheese which comes in chedder style, edam style, cheddar with chives style, mozzarella style even stilton style and the quality of these are very, very good. I don't really do the other kinds of fake cheese as frankly they taste like old socks half the time.

You can homemake some, there are various recipes i shall find some and post them tomorrow if i get the chance.

beccaxx

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2007 - 12:54AM #4
DotNotInOz
Since I can't eat anything with casein in it without getting sick, I've tried various brands of vegan fake cheese. Haven't found a single one that tasted anything like actual cheese, and most, as Becca says, taste like old gym socks and have a really bizarre texture that's more like Jello than cheese.

I've gotten to where I eat one brand of vegan "cheese" that melts pretty well when I'm really longing for macaroni and cheese, but even though I've gotten to prefer gluten-free pasta over wheat-flour macaroni, there really isn't anything about the stuff that resembles melted cheese for longer than the first few moments after it's taken off the heat. As it cools, it gets clumpy and kind of crumbly and tastes pretty nasty.

A few of the vegetarian cheeses made from soy aren't nearly so bad, but I can't eat those safely as they contain casein. They still aren't anything like real cheese in flavor or texture for the most part and don't melt at all well. Rice-based fake cheeses are especially awful, IMO. Truly hideous flavor and texture.

Maybe someone else knows of a brand sold in the U.S. that's better. Me, I just eat other things I've gotten to like fairly well and try not to think about foods such as macaroni and cheese.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2007 - 1:07AM #5
DotNotInOz
Btw, Namaste brand gluten-free, dairy-free macaroni and "chreez," as they call it to avoid getting crosswise with the government's food labeling standards, isn't all that bad. It's better tasting than the vegan cheese I mentioned even though still not that great. The texture is also fairly good, but it does get somewhat gloppy and clumpy as it cools. I haven't found any fake cheese that stays creamy and smooth like actual melted cheese.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2007 - 10:39AM #6
LittleBuddha73
Oz,
I completely agree. I just can't find anything that takes great and stays melted (and I live in the U.S.).
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2007 - 1:44PM #7
solfeggio
Cheese alternatives?  I have to say in all honestly that, since we went vegan ages ago, we never really thought about cheese much at all.

Part of the reason was that we live in a major dairy-producing country and, although I am sure there are soy cheeses available out there somewhere, we have yet to find them.  In any case, they would have been made with casein, which isn't vegan.

I guess we must have just said to ourselves that this was a food product that we would just not be eating anymore, and moved on.

You know, you really don't need cheese to make a delicious pizza, for example.  And, although macaroni and cheese is tasty, macroni and tomato sauce is just as good.  And yes, grilled cheese sandwiches were quite nice, but you can make a very good sandwich with tartar sauce on toast, too.

(You spread the tartar sauce on the toast, then spread some ripe avocado, shredded raw carrots, and thin fresh tomato slices.  This makes an excellent sandwich.)

And even here, in the middle of dairyland, we can get a very good vegan tartar sauce.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2007 - 1:50PM #8
LittleBuddha73
Unfortunately, I absolutely love cheese (wish I didn't) and there are lots of things I don't like - tomatoes, avocado, etc. I can do tomato sauce but I don't love it. I'd rather deal with the soy/rice cheese than have nothing at all!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2007 - 2:52PM #9
solfeggio
You know, I don't know if it has to do with getting older, or realising that there is a lot more to life than pleasing the palate - but I just don't worry so much anymore about what I'm going to eat.  That is, of course I want to enjoy food, and I don't want to ingest empty calories, but regular, standard meals just aren't that big a deal with us anymore.

I've read where the trend is for people to 'graze' instead of having sit-down meals at the dinner table, and this is where we are at in our lifestyle these days.  For breakfast, we'll have a banana or other piece of fruit, along with a cup of tea.  Lunch will usually be a sandwich of some sort, maybe pasta salad, certainly some kind of veggies, cooked or raw, etc.  Supper might be piece of toast, dish of blueberries - whatever.  It's very casual dining.

I guess, basically, somewhere along the way I realised that the world is full of a huge number of food choices, and that we don't really have to worry if some of our former favourites might not be available to us anymore.

I mean, take potato chips.  I am very fond of potato chips, but most of the brands we see in the stores have dairy in them now.  This seems ridiculous, but that's how it is, so we don't buy potato chips anymore.  Also, I have seen enough TV programmes about how the palm oil plantations are causing the extinction of orangutans to know that nobody but nobody should be supporting that industry.  And, of course, many types of potato chips are made with palm oil.

So, as far as I was concerned, my liking of potato chips was not as important as not supporting the palm oil industry or the dairy industry.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2007 - 3:13PM #10
bluehorserunning
I don't like potato chips or tartar sauce at all - sorry.  I absolutelly love cheese.  When I feel like splurging on some extra-tasty treat, I go to the specialty cheese section.

I could see using some alternative under every-day circumstances if it tasted ok, but so far I haven't  come across anything that could fill in.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook