Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Ask an Apologist: Did I do the right thing by breaking a confidence?
7 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2007 - 5:06PM #11
Redkim
Nope, she didn't do the right thing.
Kim
The Inconvenience of Dorothy Day
on Faith, Fiction, and Flannery
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2007 - 5:58PM #12
PaulaEdwina
By your philosophy she did the right thing, in the world of HIPAA, the girl whose medical trust she betrayed could file a complaint against her. I hope that were you in a similar position for a medical person to divulge your confidential information based on his or her beliefs you would be as enthusiastic.

Paula
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2007 - 6:21PM #13
bluehorserunning
IIrc, it's something like a 10K fine for the hospital for every individual violation of HIPAA.  That girl could have herself a college fund.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2007 - 9:47PM #14
PaulaEdwina
Nope, she didn't do the right thing.

Oh dear. Redkim I completely misread that and thought it said, "Nope, she did the right thing."

It was that misread to which I was responding.

I apologize. I will try to read responses more carefully in the future.

Paula
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2007 - 12:27AM #15
White-Dove
[QUOTE=PaulaEdwina;29895][B]

White-Dove

I did a little browsing on the internet and came up with the following definition.

http://www.hipaarx.net/abouthipaa.htm

"HIPAA Overview For Healthcare
All health care entities that process health-related data are required to comply with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' (HHS) Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA). HIPAA has led to sweeping changes to health care administration and information systems as health care organizations struggle to achieve cost-effective compliance by 2003."

So when this nurse was having a conversation with the person in question she gathered certain health information. She was fine until she disclosed it without the girl's permission. At that time she was essentially  a "health care entity [processing] health-related data".  Notice, no distinction is made for an official relationship.

Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

This isn't totally clear by the legalese that you quote, although morally I would feel obligated to maintain confidentiality. I'm going to ask at the hospital where I work regarding this.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2007 - 2:30AM #16
lexa_blue
Not only could the nurse face a tremendous fine; she could also be sentenced to prison.  I would think that that would be enough for her to keep her mouth shut, regardless of her moral position on abortion.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2007 - 8:32AM #17
PaulaEdwina
This isn't totally clear by the legalese that you quote, although morally I would feel obligated to maintain confidentiality. I'm going to ask at the hospital where I work regarding this.

Quite right of course.

Paula
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2007 - 4:04PM #18
Laura78
I don't think she did the right thing, telling the woman's parents. What good does that do? Why her parents? That's what I don't get.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2007 - 4:10PM #19
Sacrificialgoddess
[QUOTE=Laura78;40801]I don't think she did the right thing, telling the woman's parents. What good does that do? Why her parents? That's what I don't get.[/QUOTE]

I figured she told the girl's parents because she knew mommy and daddy would freak out, and that's what the girl wanted to avoid.  But, as this girl was an adult, she is able to make her own choices, and it is none of the parents' business.  That doesn't mean that she won't be turned into a ten year old in front of her parents.  That is, after all, what happens to all of us when the parents are unhappy.  Whether we want it to or not.  :rolleyes:
Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook