Page 1 of 13  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Innocents executed?
7 years ago  ::  Oct 12, 2007 - 12:13PM #1
BeliefnetCheryl
Another thread from the old board...

clintedwards:

One hears quite often that the death penalty showed be stopped because " an innocent person might be executed"

I would like to explore that a bit, but first, let me state clearly that I believe every effort and technology should be used to guarantee the guilt of a murderer beyond a reasonable doubt, before he/she is executed.

I am often amazed at how valuable the life of a convicted killer becomes in the eyes of some, the angst they feel for the poor soul, the emotions they invest, the worry that he "might be innocent", when they don't give a damn about the lives of innocents that die all the time.

I can guarantee you that if the maximum speed limit were reduced to 55 mph, thousands of innocent lives would be saved, why the hoopla over a convicted killer, and no concern for saving these thousands ?

I can guarantee you that there would be many childrens lives saved if every swimming pool owner were required to have a safety cover, closed, when no adult were present. Why arent those so concerned about that one life of a convicted murderer absolutely intent on getting laws like this passed ?

The answer is simple, they believe that all of us must face certain risks in our life for the convenience and comfort of others, and if we are victims of this risk. "oh well, just another dead person, killed by life"

BUT, they demand that when it comes to convicted murderers there be no risk that, no matter how infinitely small that risk is, an innocent be executed.

So, they would rather increase the risk of another murder than accept the tiny risk from the execution.

Whew, those cold blooded killers are sure valuable personages in our society.

Challenge: Can anyone provide the name and circumstance, with PROOF of innocence, of anyone wrongly executed in the last 75 years ?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2007 - 5:16AM #2
Piobair_Paganach

they believe that all of us must face certain risks in our life for the convenience and comfort of others, and if we are victims of this risk. "oh well, just another dead person, killed by life"

BUT, they demand that when it comes to convicted murderers there be no risk that, no matter how infinitely small that risk is, an innocent be executed.

why the hoopla over a convicted killer, and no concern for saving these thousands ?

Perhaps because some of us feel that there’s a distinct difference between a child accidentally falling into a pool and intentionally holding them underwater until they drown.

67% of capital convictions are eventually overturned, mainly on procedural grounds of incompetent legal counsel, police or prosecutors who suppressed evidence and judges who gave jurors the wrong instructions. Seven percent of those whose sentences were overturned between 1973 and 1995 have been acquitted.

Columbia Law School; A Broken System:
Error Rates in Capital Cases, 1973-1995

Since 1973, 123 people in 25 states have been released from death row with evidence of their innocence, not through the machinations of the American legal system, but through private efforts like The Innocence Project.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2007 - 11:46PM #3
julrich
Carlos DeLuna Texas   A Chicago Tribune investigation released in 2006 revealed groundbreaking evidence that Texas may have executed an innocent man in 1989. The defendant, Carlos DeLuna, was executed for the fatal stabbing of Texas convenience store clerk Wanda Lopez in 1983. New evidence uncovered by reporters Maurice Possley and Steve Mills casts doubt on DeLuna
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2007 - 11:49PM #4
julrich
. . . casts doubt on DeLuna
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2007 - 11:52PM #5
julrich
having trouble, trying again:

Carlos DeLuna Texas Conviction: 1983, Executed: 1989 A Chicago Tribune investigation  released in 2006 revealed groundbreaking evidence that Texas may have executed an innocent man in 1989. The defendant, Carlos DeLuna, was executed for the fatal stabbing of Texas convenience store clerk Wanda Lopez in 1983. New evidence uncovered by reporters Maurice Possley and Steve Mills casts doubt on DeLuna
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2007 - 11:55PM #6
julrich
try this address if you think no innocents have been executed:

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?&did=2238
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2007 - 12:35AM #7
ArtistSpirit
incompetent legal counsel does not mean that a convicted murderer did not commit the crime....in my own family some one was murdered and the killer is on death row. He has found some one who actually believes he is innocent and has alot of weight in the legal world and is trying to get his case reopened even though he was abusive and raped 2 young girls 6 and 9(not convicted for those crimes, only murder)he tried to kill twice before finally did it the third time!.....if this man gets out of prison the legal system is just a bunch of sh!t that protects NO ONE!!!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2007 - 12:19AM #8
bubbysmommy
[COLOR="Purple"]If a person is truly innocent, then it's a sad thing. Should we stop executing people because a horrible mistake happened? That's like saying we should out law driving because traffic fatalities kill innocent people. Hey, while we are at it. lets make flying an airplane illegal, after all, thousands of innocent people die in plane crashes. Hey, don't forget medication. Each year every single drug on the market is responsible for at least one death, some are responsible for hundreds! You cannot throw out the baby with bath water. Our judicial system is so sick right now that thousands of guilty criminals go free each year simply because they are given more rights than that of their victims. Remember, the prison system was originally set up to exact punishment, not rehabilitate those that will play the system to get out, only to return having re-offended.  [/COLOR]
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2007 - 10:42AM #9
SkyWalker53
[QUOTE=bubbysmommy;41846][COLOR="Purple"]If a person is truly innocent, then it's a sad thing. Should we stop executing people because a horrible mistake happened? That's like saying we should out law driving because traffic fatalities kill innocent people. Hey, while we are at it. lets make flying an airplane illegal, after all, thousands of innocent people die in plane crashes. Hey, don't forget medication. Each year every single drug on the market is responsible for at least one death, some are responsible for hundreds! You cannot throw out the baby with bath water. Our judicial system is so sick right now that thousands of guilty criminals go free each year simply because they are given more rights than that of their victims. Remember, the prison system was originally set up to exact punishment, not rehabilitate those that will play the system to get out, only to return having re-offended.  [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Who is "we"? who have you executed? or do you expect someone to kill for you? I suggest that all humans who support the death penalty should be forced to perform a civil duty of doing the killing on a rotational basis. In the meantime, I don't want my damned tax dollars paying for sadistic creeps to kill people. I want it done by the people who support the death penalty so that they can fully understand with brutal honesty what it is they support.

I also think that humans who shoot off at the mouth and support war should be the ones forced to kill, not some poor schmuck who just wanted a steady paycheck and signed up for the military. I am sickened by people who keep saying "we" should stay in Iraq and keep killing Iraqis who have never fired a weapon and killed someone, or never been in a war.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2007 - 4:28PM #10
pIrish
[QUOTE=bubbysmommy;41846]If a person is truly innocent, then it's a sad thing. Should we stop executing people because a horrible mistake happened?[/QUOTE]

It happens more often than you seem to imagine. The death penalty is more about politics, biases, and societal pressure than it is about justice. A horrible mistake means that there are mistakes. The justice system is severely flawed. Until there is a system that eliminates all mistakes, we shouldn't be using a justice system where, if a mistake happens, it can't be taken back.

[QUOTE]That's like saying we should out law driving because traffic fatalities kill innocent people. Hey, while we are at it. lets make flying an airplane illegal, after all, thousands of innocent people die in plane crashes. Hey, don't forget medication. Each year every single drug on the market is responsible for at least one death, some are responsible for hundreds! You cannot throw out the baby with bath water.[/QUOTE]

Those are some pretty lousy comparisons you've come up with there. I really don't get how you are equating these things with murdering someone and then go on to say we should outlaw them if we outlaw the death penalty. It really makes absolutely no sense. Here, I'll break it down for you:

Murder = someone killing someone

Your comparisons = something killing someone

If we outlawed everything that killed someone, we wouldn't have pets, computers, or pillows. You can't outlaw something just because it killed someone at some point in time because things can't think.

On the other hand, we have outlawed murder. Why? Because people can think before they kill someone else. They have a choice. They can either kill someone or they can let them live. That's what makes your comparisons worthless. Humans can think before they do something, medicine and airplanes can't.

[QUOTE]Our judicial system is so sick right now that thousands of guilty criminals go free each year simply because they are given more rights than that of their victims. Remember, the prison system was originally set up to exact punishment, not rehabilitate those that will play the system to get out, only to return having re-offended.[/QUOTE]

Since all humans have equal rights (yes, this means the victim and the murderer), we have to treat them like they are human, even if they are guilty. Yes, they should be punished. However, you have the same choice they did. You can either take their life or let them live. No one here is advocating letting them off completely free, allowed to kill again. Most people who are against the death penalty, are not against punishment. Those who are against the death penalty feel that a more appropriate punishment is life in prison without parole. This is based on the fact that our judicial system is very, very flawed.

Your attitude and this and other boards is the same attitude that people took when lynching was a popular form of punishment. The death penalty is barbaric and primitive. Unless you, yourself, are willing to physically pull the switch that kills somebody, innocent or guilty, you shouldn't be supporting it either. Saying "They deserve death!" and then letting someone else do the dirty work is deplorable.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 13  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook