Page 4 of 19  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19 Next
Switch to Forum Live View
Sticky: Friendly Tranquil Tea House No. 1
6 years ago  ::  Dec 26, 2007 - 3:25PM #31
solfeggio
No, it wasn't all that confusing.  I can see where you need to find a balance in what you are eating.  I would say that you should read up on protein needs of humans, though, because we really don't need as much as everybody used to think.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about including dairy in the diet.  Remember, cow's milk is not a natural food for humans in the first place.  We did not evolve drinking milk or eating cheese, after all, so our bodies are not necessarily attuned to processing it.

I can understand your problems with beans and other cooked legumes, which really aren't a natural food for us, either. 

What I always try to keep in mind when thinking about food choices is: What would primitive people have eaten? 

We have had many long, involved discussions about mankind's natural original diet on the ARA board.

Yeah, I would worry about phytoestrogen, too.  But, then, I worry about everything anyway!  Better to err on the side of caution, I always think.

At any rate, you can find a lot of good information on the web about which foods are best for us, and those foods do usually come down to greens, fruits, and vegetables of all sorts, particularly in the cabbage family.

Are you a fan of cole slaw?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 29, 2007 - 7:25PM #32
chris_lg
Love cole slaw. I don't seem to absorb nutrients like I used to, though, because I don't have all of my colon. I don't break stuff down. What's natural food for someone with a full length of gut may not work for me. I know most nutrient absorbtion occurs in the small intestine, but my short transit time does seem to affect my nutritional status. I eat lots of veggies, not too much carbs because my blood sugar fluxes too much even with whole grains, (besides, I don't handle wheat well) and I do need the proteins to to keep the blood sugar evened out. I slurp up some EVOO too. Love those heart healthy fats, but only a little. With so little access to grains, (no wheat) I'm pretty limited. I'm getting pretty tired of salads with no tomatoes or peppers. Oh, I can't eat potatoes either. I gotta eat SOMETHING! I eat spelt, and oatmeal. Yum. Oh, I forgot, no corn or nuts either. I've been eating a lot of lettuce.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 29, 2007 - 7:52PM #33
solfeggio
Chris -
Yeah, I can see where you'd have your work cut out for you trying to find the proper balance of foods that you not only can eat, but that will be good for you, too.

What about fruit?  We're always reading how blueberries are good for people, for instance.  Or melons?  It is a shame you can't eat tomatoes, but what about avocados?  Bananas?

I remember reading somewhere once that people who have trouble digesting things could eat rice, bananas, and applesauce.

Also, what about baby food?  I don't mean that you should go out and buy dozens of jars of baby food (!), but rather that you would maybe get a few jars and see what's in them and if you can eat it, and then you could make that sort of food at home yourself.

I don't think you have to worry about not eating grain, because processed seeds like wheat seeds that are made into bread or pasta is not a natural food for humans anyway.  That's just something we invented after we discovered agriculture about eight thousand years ago, long after we had evolved into what we are now.

As a strict vegan myself, I will sometimes go into the supermarket and just walk down the aisles and look at the various food products, thinking how something like 3/4 of everything there is not something I would or could eat!

I can imagine you get the same sensation when you're in the supermarket, too.  Of course, there is just so much junk food, too, that is primarily sugar and salt and chemicals.

But, it is amazing how focussed in on food values we become when we adopt a special diet, either for moral or medical reasons.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 29, 2007 - 7:52PM #34
solfeggio
Chris -
Yeah, I can see where you'd have your work cut out for you trying to find the proper balance of foods that you not only can eat, but that will be good for you, too.

What about fruit?  We're always reading how blueberries are good for people, for instance.  Or melons?  It is a shame you can't eat tomatoes, but what about avocados?  Bananas?

I remember reading somewhere once that people who have trouble digesting things could eat rice, bananas, and applesauce.

Also, what about baby food?  I don't mean that you should go out and buy dozens of jars of baby food (!), but rather that you would maybe get a few jars and see what's in them and if you can eat it, and then you could make that sort of food at home yourself.

I don't think you have to worry about not eating grain, because processed seeds like wheat seeds that are made into bread or pasta is not a natural food for humans anyway.  That's just something we invented after we discovered agriculture about eight thousand years ago, long after we had evolved into what we are now.

As a strict vegan myself, I will sometimes go into the supermarket and just walk down the aisles and look at the various food products, thinking how something like 3/4 of everything there is not something I would or could eat!

I can imagine you get the same sensation when you're in the supermarket, too.  Of course, there is just so much junk food, too, that is primarily sugar and salt and chemicals.

But, it is amazing how focussed in on food values we become when we adopt a special diet, either for moral or medical reasons.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 31, 2007 - 9:03PM #35
Marysara722

May everyone have a safe, healthy & Happy New Year for 2008!

And Peace to all.

:)
MS

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 01, 2008 - 9:56PM #36
chris_lg
Thanks for the warm thoughts MS!

Solfeggio, you're talking about the BRAT diet, often recommended for people with digestive issues. Bananas, rice, applesauce, toast and tea. Some of that is good. Of course I'd have to forget the toast, unless it was spelt. And I'd go to brown rice. ( I think the reason white rice is on the list is because it's low fiber. All the stuff on the BRAT diet is low fiber. Easy on an inflamed gut, but not what you want long term) I do a lot of fruit and veggies, some fish and poultry. I take my chances with soy. Brown rice and oatmeal. Spelt. And low sugar yogurt with my own fruit added for lunch at work on the days when I work in a place where I need an easy portable meal I can toss in the fridge. So far this is working well.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 03, 2008 - 10:02PM #37
solfeggio
Chris -
I don't know if you've ever had a chance to look at the Animal Rights and Welfare Debate board, but it might be a good idea.  Because we have a wonderful lady who posts there - Darcamani - who is a chef herself, who had health problems for years in which she couldn't eat solid food.  So, she has come up with lots of great food ideas from her own experience.  I think you'd enjoy reading her posts.  I know that I certainly do.

If you do go to the board, look for the Monthly Vegan Day thread, because that is where she has posted most recently.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2008 - 10:01AM #38
chris_lg
It's that time of year again. March is Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month and it's just around the corner. I'm planning to be on Capitol Hill again lobbying for more funding. (At least I won't be selling Girl Scout Cookies this year. My other worst nightmare! )

57,000 Americans died of colorectal cancer in 2007. I was not one of them. Lucky me. I had access to state of the art care including a research protocol investigating a new treatment not previously used for my type of cancer. But funding for NIH and CDC research has been cut for the third year in a row.

3,000 American die of all cancers every 48 hours. 1/3 of those deaths are preventable with technology we have already if people could get access to it.

Breast cancer activists have done an amazing job of bringing awarness to their cause. Now we're trying to do the same for colorectal cancers. "We've done boobs, now let's do butts!" Everyone out there 50 and over, get your colonoscopy. If you have a family history, or any symptoms, talk to your doctor about getting one sooner. You don't have to be old to get colorectal cancer. And I had Stage III disease with spread to six lymph nodes with no sypmtoms.

Go www.fightcolorectalcancer.org for more info
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2008 - 3:18PM #39
zigeuner
Hey Y'all! I don't know about the rest of you nbut I'm pretty psyched for tomorrow's game. Nothing better than eating superbowl food and spending time with my dad where the only arguement that could come up is which team will win. Plus I'm just getting over mononucleosis so I can actually eat again lol. Well I wish the best to all of you with any luck I won't be on tomorrow.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2008 - 4:27PM #40
itsacrucifiction
[QUOTE=zigeuner;259516]Hey Y'all! I don't know about the rest of you nbut I'm pretty psyched for tomorrow's game. Nothing better than eating superbowl food and spending time with my dad where the only arguement that could come up is which team will win.[/QUOTE]

Is the superbowl tomorrow? If so, I need to do some shopping! There's no better shopping than when the superbowl is on and the stores are empty.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 19  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook