Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View
Sticky: Welcome To All --- An "Introduce Yourself" Thread
7 years ago  ::  Oct 10, 2007 - 1:58AM #1
Marysara722
Hello Everyone!!! 

Welcome to the "New" and "Improved" Beliefnet Community, and we hope you enjoy the newly remodeled B-Net Home with new walls, new paint, new windows, new furnishing, new carpeting, new colors of one's own choosing.  You can create your own Journals, post photos to the "photo" section of your new profile area, create "Prayer Circles", chose an "avatar" or your own photo for your profile ID.
Why we even have "Smiley Face" icons now.
And of course you can also still post to any of the still popular "Debate" and the individual "Faith" boards.
It's a whole new Beliefnet Land out there.
So go, off with you to explore the new areas of the new B-Net World!

But ... before you go off, I'd like to also give you a warm welcome to the Abortion Debate Board.
Please take this opportunity to introduce yourself on this thread and tell the other members a little bit out yourself, and get to know the other members as you read through this "Introduction" thread.

Hope you all enjoy our new surroundings.

Shalom, Pace, Pax, Peace

MSara and Justme
Beliefnet Community Hosts
Abortion Debate Board Co-Hosts

*Note ---This is an introduction thread only.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 12, 2007 - 3:22PM #2
Justme333
Hi Mary Sara and all!   I am having difficulty with this new site, I think it will be great, after I figure out how to use it.  It is my understanding that none of the current threads will be moved here, so if anyone has a strong desire to continue a discussion that was in progress on the old boards, please let Mary Sara or myself know and we will *try* to get it here somehow - but no promises. I hope you will enjoy your new digs.  I know it has been a long time coming, and many of you have been asking about the upgrades.  Well here it is - so continue with your introductions.  Oh - I am Justme333, co-host of this board.  You can find out everything you wanted to know about me and probably more by visiting my profile - I did take the time to fill it out, but it is still in progress.

Welcome to our new home everyone!!

Justme
"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there."  Will Rogers

"Give to those who ask, and don't turn away from those who want to borrow."  Matthew 5:42

"Charity is no substitute for justice withheld."         St. Augustine

"Your love for God is only as great as the love you have for the person you love least."  Dorothy Day

"If you want peace, work for justice." Pope Paul VI
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 13, 2007 - 1:57AM #3
Marysara722
MS waves to Justme!!! :D

LOL! It's so weird being between two B-Net Worlds.

And yes, with regards to the old site and threads, none of the threads from the old boards will be moved here however if I'm understanding correctly, they will still be able to be viewed just the same as we can still view all the archived threads.

So far, I love the new digs.

Take care and see ya on the NEW threads and NEW boards.

Ciao,
MS
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 15, 2007 - 10:14AM #4
truthseeker101
[QUOTE=MarySara722;448]So far, I love the new digs.

Take care and see ya on the NEW threads and NEW boards.

Ciao,
MS[/QUOTE]

I love this new format for the board. I think it will make my life easier. That said, I'll introduce myself. I'm just your friendly neighborhood Truthseeker. I don't know everything. I know what I feel. I'm searching for the truth.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 15, 2007 - 7:02PM #5
itsacrucifiction
First, I want the thank justme333 and MarySara722 for all of the work that must have gone into setting up the new digs, as well as for the gracious, fair and just moderation of posts they have always provided. It is always a pleasure to be moderated by them.

Second, I have to say;

I LOVE THE NEW FORUMS!

They are very easy to navigate. The quote function is EXCELLENT! I can't believe I will no longer have to type the 'i' tags for quotes. And I can not be the only one who appreciates the edit functon. That's something that Bnet has needed for a very long time.

I haven't messed around too much with the new features or inserted an avatar as of yet. I don't even know what all of the new features are yet. I do have to say, regarding the new forums, they best the other discussion forums that I participate in around the net.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 15, 2007 - 7:05PM #6
itsacrucifiction
[QUOTE=truthseeker101;936]I love this new format for the board. I think it will make my life easier... I'm searching for the truth.[/QUOTE]

Well I think you found the truth as far as these new boards. Do you not LOVE the quote function? I know there are some upset regarding the changes. I surely can't understand why. The new boards ROCK!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 15, 2007 - 10:12PM #7
chris_lg
Hi Everyone,

Since this is an "introduce yourself" thread, I'll do just that.
I'm a 53 year old married woman. I'm a physician assistant and a nurse. I work at three part time jobs, one of which is in an abortion clinic. (The clinic provides other services as well.) I have a 10 year old daughter. My family has been dealing with a lot of major health problems lately, including my colon cancer. I'm doing quite well, and have become a big advocate for cancer causes lately. I'm also a big adoption advocate. My daughter is an overseas adoptee.

Our little family also includes a cat and a bunch of fish. Hubby and I have been discussing a dog, and as soon as he comes around to thinking it was his idea, we'll adopt one from the rescue foundation.

The new B'net is beautiful and I'm going to have a lot of fun learning to navigate it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 15, 2007 - 10:16PM #8
doxieman122
It's just that, being a bit of a technophobe (despite my 12,000 posts this year on the old boards), it will take a good bit of getting used to.

Anyway, I'm Doxie.  I'm from New Jersey.  My username comes from ... well, click on my new profile and you'll see.  I consider myself a moderately liberal Democrat.  And I'm PC.

I came to my beliefs as my religious faith lessened (I was PL as a young Catholic boy -- before puberty, of course!!) and I realized how important access to abortion and birth control is for women's rights to safeguard their own bodies in a world with violent male sexuality.

I also believe abortions should not be allowed after a fetus' viability -- between 5 and 6 months gestation.    In any case, the only exceptions I would make would be to save the mother's life, limbs, and vital organs.  Medical professionals who post here have noted that the majority of pre-term births before six months become infant mortality cases -- but a few have survived, which means it's fair to say the trimester system in Roe v. Wade has become flawed (though I clearly think it should stand in general as constitutional law). 

My biggest concern is not moral opposition to abortion per se.  The termination of a human life (and a zygote/embryo/early fetus is human, containing the DNA of Homo sapiens) deserves serious moral consideration, even if there are good and overriding reasons for abortion in a given case for the well-being of the woman (and man).  So I have no problem having friendly (but firm) debates with folks here who have deep moral convictions against abortion.

Rather, who scares me are the legal scholars such as Robert Bork who say that if Roe v. Wade is overruled, there is no constitutional right of privacy, which means Roe v. Wade's precedent case of Griswold v. Connecticut should also be overturned -- and birth control, potentially, banned with abortion.  And there are one or two regular posters here who subscribe to the Bork point of view ...

What a different world this would be if he had gotten on the Supreme Court.  And not in a good way.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 15, 2007 - 11:42PM #9
bubbysmommy
Well,
I am a 39 er crap, 40 yr old married mother of one. I consider myself lucky in that I am able to be a stay at home mom. However, that stay at home thing is a crock! My van looks as though someone is living in it! Heck, there may be & I just can't tell right now! LOL.
I am very much PL. I love the new site. Although I find myself stumbling around in the dark sometimes. I think this is going to work out well. It is certainly going to make things easier for all of us when we start "debating" in earnest again.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 16, 2007 - 1:37PM #10
scallycat
Hm, how is it that all of you joined 31 years earlier than I did?

Unless, with this post, I discover that I joined in 1970 as well.

Thank goodness that silly 4 - 16 posts per page thing has gone in this edition.

Meanwhile, I'm scallycat, I'm a choicer who has been around for a very long time.  I'm   a permanent 'ex-pat' in Italy (usually) and England (occasionally).

Edited to say: Goodness, I joined in 1970 as well!
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook