Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View RIP Actress Maureen O'Hara
2 years ago  ::  Oct 24, 2015 - 3:57PM #1
Merope

Actress Maureen O'Hara, who starred in classic films of the 1940s and '50s including How Green Was My Valley, The Quiet Man, and Miracle on 34th Street (also starring a 10-year-old Natalie Wood), has died.  She was 95.

Her family issued a release today saying she died "in her sleep of natural causes" while music from her favorite movie, The Quiet Man — set in her native Ireland — played in the background.

O'Hara co-starred in that film with John Wayne.  "I was the only leading lady big enough and tough enough for John Wayne," she wrote in explaining their cinematic sparks in her 2004 memoir 'Tis Herself.  "Duke's presence was so strong that when audiences saw him finally meet a woman of equal hell and fire, it was exciting and thrilling."

She was one of director John Ford's favorite actresses; he directed The Quiet Man.  Other Ford films in which she appeared included How Green Was My Valley, Rio Grande, Long Gray Line, and The Wings of Eagles.

A full obituary will appear at www.latimes.com/obituaries.

www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-m...

She was sort of a blast from my childhood movie-going and TV-watching past.

Your memories of her or her films?

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 24, 2015 - 8:31PM #2
TPaine

Oct 24, 2015 -- 3:57PM, Merope wrote:

Actress Maureen O'Hara, who starred in classic films of the 1940s and '50s including How Green Was My Valley, The Quiet Man, and Miracle on 34th Street (also starring a 10-year-old Natalie Wood), has died.  She was 95.

Her family issued a release today saying she died "in her sleep of natural causes" while music from her favorite movie, The Quiet Man — set in her native Ireland — played in the background.

O'Hara co-starred in that film with John Wayne.  "I was the only leading lady big enough and tough enough for John Wayne," she wrote in explaining their cinematic sparks in her 2004 memoir 'Tis Herself.  "Duke's presence was so strong that when audiences saw him finally meet a woman of equal hell and fire, it was exciting and thrilling."

She was one of director John Ford's favorite actresses; he directed The Quiet Man.  Other Ford films in which she appeared included How Green Was My Valley, Rio Grande, Long Gray Line, and The Wings of Eagles.

A full obituary will appear at www.latimes.com/obituaries.

www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-m...

She was sort of a blast from my childhood movie-going and TV-watching past.

Your memories of her or her films?

I thought she was great in The Quiet Man and Miracle On 34th Street. It was perfect casting.

May she Requiescat in pace.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture."-- Thomas Paine: The Crisis No. V (March 21, 1778)
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 31, 2015 - 10:27AM #3
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook