Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Jerry Sandusky Found Guilty
2 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2012 - 9:44PM #11
karbie

thank you for the kind thoughts. for years I thought that man's family hated me; after he died, his wife--whom I had a good relationship with before, had asked me if I would be willing to talk to her. She hadn't approached me before because she didn't want to make things worse for me. so we were both relieved.

When there are 48 counts of sexual abuse and a list of victims, how much time would deliberations take? If you are absolutely convinced of charges 1-20 being true, then you'd be pretty sure that the next 25 would not only be true, but probably the tip of the iceberg, since these are just the ones where the victims were willing to come forward.

In this case, as with many rapists, the key is power, not sex. He owned these players. If he cut them from the team, there went their scholarships, chance to play in the pros, etc. If it was his word against  theirs, who would believe them? As it turns out, the jury did.

Even with that many victims willing to testify against him, I don't think it really dawned on him that he could actually be held accountable for anything else than winning games. It had been so long since the rules applied to him it must have been a shock when he was actually arrested.

I'm sorry that he abused at home as well. Step-son, adopted son, full son--the word is son. I guess if he didn't mind using other men's children, he wouldn't miss a target of opportunity so close at hand.

400 years? That certainly takes care of parole considerations. I admit that it is the more primitive side of my nature that wants him out in the general population. He'd be "safe" in isolation, but it would be difficult to handle for someone famous.

I think that since he was dealing with college students, I'm not sure if his action would be classed as deviant sexual behavior or pedophilia. He's a rapist and a sexual predator. Come to think of it, some of the men in the general population would be in his victims age group...and if he acted on that impulse, he'd be dead. The predators he's with now aren't in his power like his prior victims were.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2012 - 10:25PM #12
farragut

Karbie, the boys that he was abusing were not Penn State athletes, they were youngsters.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2012 - 12:20AM #13
karbie

In that case...he will be among a lot of people who know all about being used as children. That's why I really would like him to live more than a year among the general population, since I imagine there would be a long line of men who would like to indulge in a little pay-back. He isn't worth someone getting time added on for killing him, and he certainly should serve out as much of his sentence as possible. I imagine if he starts out among everyone else he'd opt for isolation soon enough.

Yes, that's very primitive of me. I think of it less as revenge than letting the punishment fit the crime. We may never know how many actual victims there were, but it's safe to assume he thought less and less about getting caught after getting away with it for so long.

I could understand giving someone like him the benefit of the doubt once--although he'd have been forbidden from being alone with any child as a term for keeping his job--but I'd personally call the cops. Considering the time-frame, more than one person must have reported him, and no one should have covered for him a second time. When I mentioned him getting the benefit of the doubt--I wouldn't have done it, but that cop sure did his best to break me and assumed I was lying. So if Sandusky picked his victim as someone who had been in trouble before that he'd groomed as "taking him under my wing", he knew who would be believed.

If a school official knew what he was doing and covered for him, after the first report--they are accessories after the fact at the very least. Aiding and abetting, destroying or tampering with witnesses, etc. People we entrust our children with who abuse our children and their positions of power over them are scum.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook