Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
2 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2012 - 12:31AM #1
solfeggio
Queen Elizabeth celebrates sixty years on the throne this month, and the holiday spirit extends throughout the Commonwealth.

www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jun/03/diamon...

This is only the second royal diamond jubilee, the first having been held in 1897 for Queen Victoria.  The British Empire was at its height at that time, with Victoria ruling over fully a quarter of the world's population.

Things have changed, of course, and the present Queen, who is the longest-lived monarch of the United Kingdom, saw the Empire transformed into the Commonwealth of Nations.    

Our Queen is a good and respected head of state and is greatly loved by her loyal subjects.

The New Zealand government is issuing a special commenorative stamp to honour the Queen.

www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2012 - 2:56PM #2
TemplarS

Some folks in the US are following this with interest.  My wife does, for one. And my parents saw the Queen once when they were in London.

I can't quite get into it myself; though I will say, if we over here can  make superstars out of the likes of Jessica Simpson and Justin Beiber- then God Bless the Queen!

Enjoy! 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2012 - 3:11PM #3
mecdukebec

La Reine is not exactly popular in Kebec.  Still, she's the head of the state Church in the U.K., and I've never been able to square how traditionalists deny female bishops or clergy, but have the Queen.  Long life to her: and, dear Lord, she's never forgiven Jean Chrétien, we must observe. 

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2012 - 3:12PM #4
mainecaptain

Jun 4, 2012 -- 12:31AM, solfeggio wrote:

Queen Elizabeth celebrates sixty years on the throne this month, and the holiday spirit extends throughout the Commonwealth.

www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jun/03/diamon...

This is only the second royal diamond jubilee, the first having been held in 1897 for Queen Victoria.  The British Empire was at its height at that time, with Victoria ruling over fully a quarter of the world's population.

Things have changed, of course, and the present Queen, who is the longest-lived monarch of the United Kingdom, saw the Empire transformed into the Commonwealth of Nations.    

Our Queen is a good and respected head of state and is greatly loved by her loyal subjects.

The New Zealand government is issuing a special commenorative stamp to honour the Queen.

www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c...

Personally I would love to join in the celebrations.  :)

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2012 - 4:45PM #5
TemplarS

Jun 4, 2012 -- 3:11PM, mecdukebec wrote:

Still, she's the head of the state Church in the U.K., and I've never been able to square how traditionalists deny female bishops or clergy, but have the Queen. 

Well, you understand: a Queen is a choice of last resort; only if there are no males available in the direct line.  Though I understand that has or may change; though not any time soon, since the current crop of males will last anothert half-century or so.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2012 - 4:59PM #6
teilhard

I admit to being fond of "Queen Latifah" ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2012 - 7:07PM #7
mecdukebec

Jun 4, 2012 -- 4:45PM, TemplarS wrote:

Jun 4, 2012 -- 3:11PM, mecdukebec wrote:

Still, she's the head of the state Church in the U.K., and I've never been able to square how traditionalists deny female bishops or clergy, but have the Queen. 

Well, you understand: a Queen is a choice of last resort; only if there are no males available in the direct line.  Though I understand that has or may change; though not any time soon, since the current crop of males will last anothert half-century or so.

I know I have the body but of a weak and feeble woman; but I have the heart and stomach of a king, and of a king of England too, and think foul scorn that Parma or Spain, or any prince of Europe, should dare to invade the borders of my realm; to which rather than any dishonour shall grow by me, I myself will take up arms, I myself will be your general, judge, and rewarder of every one of your virtues in the field.

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2012 - 10:40PM #8
solfeggio

Along with teilhard, I am very fond of the singing of Queen Latifah as well.  I especially liked her work in the movie 'Chicago.'

That got me to thinking about popular entertainment featuring the word 'queen.'

There was the 1970s band, Queen.  But I don't know anything about them.

As well, of course, there was that terrific 1951 movie, 'The African Queen,' which is a great favourite of mine.

Finally, there are all those drag queen films like 'Tootsie,' 'Some Like It Hot,' 'Mrs. Doubtfire,' 'The Birdcage,' and 'Priscilla Queen of the Desert.'

But, back to Queen Elizabeth II:

People might wonder how much of a contribution she makes to Britain, and to the world at large as well.  This essay in the New York Times eloquently makes her case:

www.nytimes.com/2012/06/05/opinion/why-t...www.nytimes.com/2012/06/05/opinion/why-t...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2012 - 7:29AM #9
shmuelgoldstein

Jun 4, 2012 -- 12:31AM, solfeggio wrote:

This is only the second [British] royal diamond jubilee .....     

Brackets added.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2012 - 7:32AM #10
shmuelgoldstein

Jun 4, 2012 -- 2:56PM, TemplarS wrote:

Some folks in the US are following this with interest.  My wife does, for one. And my parents saw the Queen once when they were in London.

I can't quite get into it myself; though I will say, if we over here can  make superstars out of the likes of Jessica Simpson and Justin Beiber- then God Bless the Queen!

You have a point, but the American people have decided to make Simpson and Beiber and the like superstars.

The British didn't have much of a choice. They HAD to make Elizabeth Windsor their Queen.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook