Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View '60 Minutes' Icon Mike Wallace Passes
3 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 1:42PM #1
Merope

CBS News legend Mike Wallace, the 60 Minutes pit bull reporter whose probing, brazen style made his name synonymous with the tough interview - a style he practically invented for television more than 50 years ago - died last night. He was 93 and passed peacefully surrounded by family members.

"It is with tremendous sadness that we mark the passing of Mike Wallace. His extraordinary contribution as a broadcaster is immeasurable and he has been a force within the television industry throughout its existence. His loss will be felt by all of us at CBS," said Leslie Moonves, president and CEO, CBS Corporation.

Story and more on Wallace's career here.

He will be missed but his legacy lives on.  Rest in peace, Mike.

Your thoughts, opinions, memories, etc?

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 4:16PM #2
rangerken

Mike Wallace was one of my favorite reporters with whom I mostly did not agree. He was, I believe, a man of integrity and always seemed to press for straight answers and the truth. So despite his being of a much more liberal persuasion than me, I respected him and enjoyed watching and listening to him. I wish we had more like him. American Journalism is deminished by his absence.

Rest in Peace Mike. And since I do believe he was Jewish, I hope he enjoyed one last Passover Seder.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 5:13PM #3
IreneAdler

This news probably provides a bit of relief for some.  I gather very few people were pleased when they learned Mike Wallace was sitting in their waiting room.

Quality journalism is fast becoming extinct. 

This is a loss for everyone.

Irene

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 11:29PM #4
Unworthyone

Mike Wallace was  of a generation of journalists that includes Edward R Murrow, Walter Cronkite, Carl Bernstein, and Bob Woodward.  

They simply don't make them like that any more.

RIP Mr. Wallace.

I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.  Thomas Jefferson

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
Albert Einstein

You can get anything you want out of life if you will just help enough other people get what they want. Zig Ziglar

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/03/29/opinion/why-i-m-for-the-brady-bill.html
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2012 - 12:24AM #5
solfeggio

Remember that movie 'The Insider'?  Mike Wallace was played by Christopher Plummer.

www.hitfix.com/blogs/in-contention/posts...

www.imdb.com/title/tt0140352/

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2012 - 6:33AM #6
BDboy

Apr 8, 2012 -- 4:16PM, rangerken wrote:

Mike Wallace was one of my favorite reporters with whom I mostly did not agree. He was, I believe, a man of integrity and always seemed to press for straight answers and the truth. So despite his being of a much more liberal persuasion than me, I respected him and enjoyed watching and listening to him. I wish we had more like him. American Journalism is deminished by his absence.

Rest in Peace Mike. And since I do believe he was Jewish, I hope he enjoyed one last Passover Seder.

Ken

>>>>>> I enjoyed watching him. He was very good at his trade. Cannot say that about most TV personalities of today.

A great loss.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2012 - 10:26AM #7
farragut

"Mike Wallace was  of a generation of journalists that includes Edward R Murrow, Walter Cronkite, Carl Bernstein, and Bob Woodward"

No, Bob, and I presume Carl, are a full 20 years younger than Wallace. A full generation. This I do not have to look up; Bob is a shipmate of mine.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2012 - 4:39PM #8
TemplarS

Apr 9, 2012 -- 6:33AM, BDboy wrote:

>>>>>> I enjoyed watching him. He was very good at his trade. Cannot say that about most TV personalities of today.

This is because they are "personalities" and not journalists...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2012 - 4:52PM #9
jane2

Apr 9, 2012 -- 4:39PM, TemplarS wrote:

Apr 9, 2012 -- 6:33AM, BDboy wrote:

This is because they are "personalities" and not journalists...

Wise distinction...........

Perhaps my favorite true reporter  today is Richard Engel (sp?) of NBC. He's lived in the ME for decades and speaks and writes arabic.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2012 - 11:50AM #10
LeahOne

Mike Wallace was one of 'the greatest generation' and he will be very much missed.

ASIDE from his very effective reporting and interviewing, he was very courageous in making public his battle with depression.  When such an accomplished and capable face as his can be put on 'mental illness', it does much to remove the stigma.

GOD bless all the famous people - like Patty Duke and Michael J Fox and 'Magic' Johnson and others - who make public their own private hells to make the case for tens of thousands of other people!

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook