Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View J.K. Rowling is no longer a billionaire
2 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 11:19AM #11
TemplarS

Mar 29, 2012 -- 10:10AM, mytmouse57 wrote:

I don't know what I'd do with a billion dollars.

Maybe give half away. And then take the rest to the Dollar Store, and by 500 million things... just to be an ass. Tongue Out

What could anyone possibly do with a billion dollars?

$100 million on a yacht and a private plane and a couple of Maseratis and what not ...

Another 100 million on, say, five $20 million houses in selected nice locations...

A couple hundred million invested at 5% gives you $10 million a year to live off...

That leaves, oh, about $600 million to spare...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 2:54PM #12
Erey

Mar 29, 2012 -- 11:19AM, TemplarS wrote:

Mar 29, 2012 -- 10:10AM, mytmouse57 wrote:

I don't know what I'd do with a billion dollars.

Maybe give half away. And then take the rest to the Dollar Store, and by 500 million things... just to be an ass. Tongue Out

What could anyone possibly do with a billion dollars?

$100 million on a yacht and a private plane and a couple of Maseratis and what not ...

Another 100 million on, say, five $20 million houses in selected nice locations...

A couple hundred million invested at 5% gives you $10 million a year to live off...

That leaves, oh, about $600 million to spare...

I too can come up with a few ideas on how I might spend such money.  I think almost all billionaires (the ones I have read about anyway) are great about giving money away.  That includes Romney also. 

Naturally, If I had that kind of cash I would want to use a substantial amount of it to improve the lives of those around me.

I try to remember even though I am not at all in that league and I do have financial responsibilities that I have to worry about I too can use the money and time I have to improve things for others.  you don't have to be a millionaire/billionaire to finally decide you will use some of your monetary resources to help other people.  I think too many of us think because we are not big players that we are not responsible for helping. 

The only major player I remember hearing about who is not a big giver is Carlos Slim of Mexico.  I think a few years ago he qualified as the richest man in the world.  He said what he likes to do is support businesses that employ people and that is his way of helping.  In his mind that is better than just giving to charity.  Although he did give a few hundred thousand for a diabetes foundation. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 3:55PM #13
TemplarS

Mar 29, 2012 -- 2:54PM, Erey wrote:

Naturally, If I had that kind of cash I would want to use a substantial amount of it to improve the lives of those around me.

I try to remember even though I am not at all in that league and I do have financial responsibilities that I have to worry about I too can use the money and time I have to improve things for others.  you don't have to be a millionaire/billionaire to finally decide you will use some of your monetary resources to help other people.  I think too many of us think because we are not big players that we are not responsible for helping. 

I agree, except maybe for your last sentence.  Most people I know do try to do what they can to help others, if not with their money then with their time.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 4:00PM #14
Erey

Mar 29, 2012 -- 3:55PM, TemplarS wrote:

I agree, except maybe for your last sentence.  Most people I know do try to do what they can to help others, if not with their money then with their time.

fair enough.  I guess from all the diolgoues here people say if they WERE rich they would be so very philanthropic.  My point being there are things we can do today.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 4:01PM #15
TemplarS

The only major player I remember hearing about who is not a big giver is Carlos Slim of Mexico.  I think a few years ago he qualified as the richest man in the world.  He said what he likes to do is support businesses that employ people and that is his way of helping.  In his mind that is better than just giving to charity.  Although he did give a few hundred thousand for a diabetes foundation. 

I'd need to know a little more about that.  What exactly did Mr. Slim do?

That is in fact what Romney tried to do by claiming his role as head of an investment firm created jobs for people.  He did, in part; but his firm was also responsible for canning a bunch of people.

He did what he did to make money; nothing wrong with that, money spent wisely can create jobs, and he was paid to make money, not create jobs.  But don't claim you did what you did out of a sense of social responsibility, when you did it to make money.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 4:20PM #16
Erey

Mar 29, 2012 -- 4:01PM, TemplarS wrote:

That is in fact what Romney tried to do by claiming his role as head of an investment firm created jobs for people.  He did, in part; but his firm was also responsible for canning a bunch of people.

He did what he did to make money; nothing wrong with that, money spent wisely can create jobs, and he was paid to make money, not create jobs.  But don't claim you did what you did out of a sense of social responsibility, when you did it to make money.

I think it is hard for alot of people on this board to understand that in a downturn business climate you can either lay off people or possibly lose your entire company. 

You might not be able to sustainably employ 1200 people but don't you have a "responsibility" to the 500 who you can sustain and grow the company and possibly grow stronger?  There is a certain responsibility to laying people off so that your company can persevere and even take a larger share of the market.  I don't expect everyone here to understand that.

And no, I would not say that Romney laid people off out of social responsibility.  What I am saying is that he is on record as a significant donor to charities. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 4:25PM #17
Erey

Mar 29, 2012 -- 4:01PM, TemplarS wrote:

He is a big telecom guy.  Evidentaly he lives rather frugaly, sort of like Warren Buffett.  A frumpy, out of fashion building houses his offices and the offices are not what you would think would be suitable for such a powerful man and such powerful companies.  His choice of suits is rather modest and out dated. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2012 - 7:28PM #18
rangerken

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement