Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Hanks, Frey Involved with Racist Fundraiser?
2 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2012 - 12:40PM #1
Ironhold
source: entertainment site "The Wrap"

A website known as The Daily Caller has posted video showing a 2004 fundrasier auction in which Tom Hanks and Glen Frey are seen interacting with a man in blackface who was meant to look like a stereotypical African native; Hanks compares the person to Bill O'Reilly, while Frey notes that the school they were doing the fundrasier for is so conservative that the man was almost not allowed in.

Suffice to say that neither party is talking about matters.

Given that this was eight years ago, should the passage of time allow them to let it slide? Or should they be held to the same degree of scorn that people today who make such comments are being held to? 
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2012 - 1:01PM #2
TemplarS

Offensive is still offensive, whether 8 years ago or yesterday.

Done in fun or not, it is still offensive.

If this is true, I would judge an apology to be called for. But I'm not sure what beyond that could be done.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2012 - 3:07PM #3
Esdraelon

Mar 22, 2012 -- 1:01PM, TemplarS wrote:

Offensive is still offensive, whether 8 years ago or yesterday.

Done in fun or not, it is still offensive.

If this is true, I would judge an apology to be called for. But I'm not sure what beyond that could be done.

Hanks and Frey are Democratic partisans...has this been a Republican gig, the MSM would have gone bonkers....and 8 years ago....

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2012 - 3:46PM #4
rabello

The reporting on this story is spotty and not very good.  The 2 most significant items in the article are these:

1)  "The fundraiser was reportedly centered on a "Castaway" theme -- a reference to the 2000 hit film starring Hanks."

2)  " 'Our policy is not to comment on past or current parents', Stuart Work, the head of St. Matthew's, told TheWrap" 

For those who saw the movie "Castaway," it is a reasonable possiblity that the conservative Daily Caller may have misinterpreted what its seeing....apparently, the actor, James Montgomery, is a parent of a student at the school.   Who knows whom Hanks was referring to when he brought in Bill O'Reilly, because that doesn't make sense.  Maybe he was talking about someone in the audience.  The article, unprofessionally written as it is, doesn't say.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2012 - 5:20PM #5
jane2

Funny thing--Tom Hanks just narrated an Obama re-election video. Gotta make Hanks look evil!!!

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2012 - 5:48PM #6
Ken

Mar 22, 2012 -- 5:20PM, jane2 wrote:

Funny thing--Tom Hanks just narrated an Obama re-election video. Gotta make Hanks look evil!!!

He is evil. He stole Peter Scolari's career.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2012 - 5:56PM #7
jane2

Mar 22, 2012 -- 5:48PM, Ken wrote:

Who is Peter Scolari??? (I just googled him!!)

Tom Hanks is the highest paid actor of his generation--noted by Tom Brokaw on his "Boomers" stories...........

Oh heck, I luv Tom Hanks

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2012 - 6:47PM #8
Ken

Mar 22, 2012 -- 5:56PM, jane2 wrote:

Mar 22, 2012 -- 5:48PM, Ken wrote:

Who is Peter Scolari??? (I just googled him!!)

Tom Hanks is the highest paid actor of his generation--noted by Tom Brokaw on his "Boomers" stories...........

Oh heck, I luv Tom Hanks

Peter Scolari was paired with Tom Hanks in "Bosom Buddies." Scolari was the more talented of the two.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 23, 2012 - 12:44PM #9
Marcion

That's it folks, keep feeding the Reverend Al and Jesse Jackson material to keep racism alive and well.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 23, 2012 - 12:59PM #10
mytmouse57

Tom Hanks is about as mean and sinister as Kermit the Frog.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook