Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View No Doonesbury next week?
2 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2012 - 6:49PM #1
IreneAdler

Yeah- might be the case.

I guess the funnies aren’t so funny- to some. Some newspapers plan to pull next week’s strips because they poke fun at the Texas abortion law.  Some newspapers plan to relocate strips to Op-Ed pages.

This article gives a rundown of each day’s strip: now.msn.com/living/0310-doonesbury-abort...

This article gives more of the controversy involved:

www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-...

Thinkin’ folks are bit too touchy. Don't like 'em, don't read 'em. Why should the strip be moved or removed?

I thought the strips were pretty good. But then I like that sort of thing.

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2012 - 7:06PM #2
REteach

Doonesbury is an equal opportunity lambaster who really supports the military personnel.  

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2012 - 7:18PM #3
jane2

Read about this boycott and it ticked me off royally. One by one and tad by tad our freedoms are diminished. I'm so weary of those who wish to control, control, control.

Maybe we could give Texas back to Mexico.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2012 - 7:58PM #4
IreneAdler

Mar 10, 2012 -- 7:18PM, jane2 wrote:

Read about this boycott and it ticked me off royally. One by one and tad by tad our freedoms are diminished. I'm so weary of those who wish to control, control, control.

Maybe we could give Texas back to Mexico.

Read my mind.

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2012 - 9:02PM #5
Fodaoson

Well, HTZ ‘friends”.  You are getting good dose of GOPTEXAS,  where Republicans want government out of  our lives  with certain exceptions; Women(12 year old girls) have  to get an HPV shot to attend school, They are encouraged not to use BC pills. IF they get pregnant their parents have to be notified and they have to have a sonogram and wait another 24 hour to have an abortion, even if it is result of rape or incest/rape incest.

Taxes are bad except  to build  stadiums and Ball parks  for professional football and baseball teams, the venue are sold to the team at a fraction of the  cost of building.

Tool roads are built next to  or on existing roadways with the entrances are hardly distinguishable  and cameras operated by out of state firms do the billing  Sate Government jobs go to major contributors to the Governors campaign fund .

Retired teachers cannot collect their contributory retirement funds and their deceased spouses  Social Security . Teachers have to  quit teaching  for 12monts before taking a  teaching job and collecting retirement pay   but the Governor can collect his slary and 905 of it in retirement benefits with no break in service.  In Some district there are vacancies in Math, Science Special that stay vacant of certified teachers when a  Teacher retires, the retiree cannot even substitute for a years.   

I have posted each of  these in the past with citations.   

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2012 - 10:16PM #6
jane2

Mar 10, 2012 -- 9:02PM, Fodaoson wrote:

Well, HTZ ‘friends”.  You are getting good dose of GOPTEXAS,  where Republicans want government out of  our lives  with certain exceptions; Women(12 year old girls) have  to get an HPV shot to attend school, They are encouraged not to use BC pills. IF they get pregnant their parents have to be notified and they have to have a sonogram and wait another 24 hour to have an abortion, even if it is result of rape or incest/rape incest.

Taxes are bad except  to build  stadiums and Ball parks  for professional football and baseball teams, the venue are sold to the team at a fraction of the  cost of building.

Tool roads are built next to  or on existing roadways with the entrances are hardly distinguishable  and cameras operated by out of state firms do the billing  Sate Government jobs go to major contributors to the Governors campaign fund .

Retired teachers cannot collect their contributory retirement funds and their deceased spouses  Social Security . Teachers have to  quit teaching  for 12monts before taking a  teaching job and collecting retirement pay   but the Governor can collect his slary and 905 of it in retirement benefits with no break in service.  In Some district there are vacancies in Math, Science Special that stay vacant of certified teachers when a  Teacher retires, the retiree cannot even substitute for a years.   

I have posted each of  these in the past with citations.   

And one of our moderators wants multiple hand guns--sorry Star. I keep hoping we can keep Texas an anamoly, but the GOP wants to turn our country into Texas. Then all of our children except those from highly educated families can read a rewritten history.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2012 - 10:52PM #7
teilhard

I ADORE "Doonesbury" ... I deeply MISS "The Far Side" and "Opus" ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2012 - 11:22AM #8
PosingAsMe

Mar 10, 2012 -- 10:52PM, teilhard wrote:

Not to mention "Calvin and Hobbes". . .

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2012 - 1:00PM #9
teilhard

Absolutely ...

Mar 11, 2012 -- 11:22AM, PosingAsMe wrote:

Mar 10, 2012 -- 10:52PM, teilhard wrote:

Not to mention "Calvin and Hobbes". . .

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2012 - 2:00PM #10
farragut

Yup, great strips. I named my Amazons Calvin and Hobbes. But I particularly cherish Pogo.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook