Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Davy Jones of The Monkees has died
3 years ago  ::  Feb 29, 2012 - 9:25PM #1
hopebringer
music.yahoo.com/blogs/stop-the-presses/s...

I was saddened by this news as he was one of my first experiences of rock music .  I was 6 or 7 years old when  I first saw the show on  t.v.   My parents listend to country music, only.  So it was pretty exciting for me.  Also , a friend and I  would argue about who was going to marry him when we grew up.  They were fun and light hearted and enjoyable and I am just  glad they shared their talents with the world.  
Challenge is a dragon with a gift in its mouth. Tame the dragon and the gift is yours. ~ Noela Evans
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 29, 2012 - 10:17PM #2
mountain_man

I was twelve, but I still liked the show. Good clean fun. The music wasn't all that bad. I've heard much worse.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 29, 2012 - 10:19PM #3
mainecaptain

I used to watch it in reruns. It was a cute show, and I thought it fun. Sad. May he rest in Peace

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2012 - 1:00AM #4
Mlyons619

RIP.

Daydream Believer

Oh, I could hide 'neath the wings of the bluebird as she sings
The six o'clock alarm would never ring
But it rings and I rise wipe the sleep out of my eyes
The shavin' razor's cold, and it stings

Cheer up, sleepy Jean, oh what can it mean
To a daydream believer and a homecoming queen?

You once thought of me as a white knight on his steed
Now you know how happy I can be
Oh, and our good times start and end without dollar one to spend
But how much baby do we really need?

And, yes, the Monkees even had a Top Ten Hit!  And Davy Jones was the lead singer.

"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2012 - 8:38AM #5
samie

I remember them ~ I was just a kid too ~ 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2012 - 6:05PM #6
IreneAdler

Wow! They didn't look like that on my tv. But then, we only had black and white.

I'm sad to see this happened. I hope he was happy in his life.  In recent days, wasn't there some intrigue regarding his much younger wife?

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2012 - 6:57PM #7
REteach

Davy was my favorite Monkee.  I had a couple albums. 

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2012 - 10:55PM #8
Ironhold

MSN is reporting that the most likely cause of death was hardened arteries.

The coroner is still awaiting the toxicology report, but everything about the matter says that it was, indeed natural causes.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2012 - 11:32PM #9
karbie

It was natural causes--a heart attack. His former band members are not attending the funeral in respect of the family's wish for a low key private funeral. I watched that show every Monday. One mark they made in music was listing every studio musician on their albums after the initial scandal over them not playing their own instruments. All 4 could have from the beginning but then they never owned the name of the group or control.

After they started giving listing all contributing musicians, it became the standard practice it still is today.

One bit from their show is still a standard line in my family--The Old Egyptian Headache Cure--dropping a brick on your foot.

I brought it up years ago to my doctor when ibuprofen came out and she wanted to know if it helped my pain. It didn't really, just moved it to my stomach instead. When I said it was like the Old Egyptian Headache Cure, she stopped for a minute, then said "If I ask you what it is I'm going to hate myself, but if I don't then I'm going to drive myself crazy wondering what it was."

She decided she had to know.

He had originally ridden as a jockey but grew too tall for that profession. He'd been on Broadway in Oliver! when Screen Gems signed him.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2012 - 7:34PM #10
Marcion

Why should we give a shit whenever some celebrity dies. We will all die eventually.

Better to mourn for our soldiers who died in some stupid war started by a lying texas imbecile.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook