Switch to Forum Live View Revisionist Nonsense
2 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2012 - 10:16AM #1
Marcion
I recently watched the History Channel program on "The Betrayal at Little Biig Horn" and found it to be the worst piece of revisionist crap I have ever seen on TV.

The Program portrays Reno and Benteen as cowards and traitors who could have saved Custer. Forget the fact that military boards found them both innocent of any wrongdoing.

History has portrayed Custer correctly as the egotistical bloodthirsty villian that he was.

If Custer was such a Civil War hero, why was he 
hated intensly by Mosby, one of the civil war's most honorable men. 
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2012 - 1:06PM #2
Ironhold

From what I understand, Custer's heroism at Gettusburg was a fluke.

He'd been given assignment of a small infantry unit, and at a key point in the fight he saw a much larger Confederate formation moving along to try and flank the Union lines.

Custer gave the order to charge despite the situation being a very obvious suicide run.

While he caught the Confederates off-guard, the sheer numbers meant that Custer's unit got shredded. Thing is, rather than admit defeat, Custer fell back, regrouped his men, and went after the Confederates a second time.

This hit-and-fade actually continued for some time past this point, leading the Confederate commander to have a frightening realization: either he was dealing with a commander so stupid or suicidal that he'd spend his last man hammering the formation, or the commander had orders to try and pin his men in place for the arrival of a much larger Union force. Either way, if he stayed in this sector his men were going to keep getting chewed up at the hands of this nutcase.

Given this, the Confederate commander gave the order for his men to fall back so that he could figure out just what the heck was going on.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook