Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Steve Jobs Has Died
3 years ago  ::  Oct 05, 2011 - 7:45PM #1
Merope

Steve Jobs has died, Apple announced a few minutes ago.  He was 56 ... and a legend.

Your thoughts?  

www.boston.com/Boston/businessupdates/20...

www.apple.com/stevejobs/

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 05, 2011 - 7:57PM #2
rocketjsquirell

Just heard. Now we know why he stepped down from leadership in Apple. I wonder if Apple will continue to thrive without him. 56 is much too young. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 05, 2011 - 9:06PM #3
Girlchristian

It's sad that he was so young.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 05, 2011 - 9:19PM #4
teilhard

How appropriate that News of his Death came to me via my "Macintosh" ...

R.I.P., Steve ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 05, 2011 - 10:13PM #5
DotNotInOz

A legend, yes, but I would rather call him a benchmark of an era. I don't think any of us can adequately calculate the profound changes in our lives brought about by the genius of this man.

Had it not been for that little Mac with dial-up modem that I bought almost 20 years ago, I'd never have "met" the several friends I have all over the world as a result--would never have known they existed--including my husband since we met in an AOL chatroom.

Although I'll likely never meet most of them in R/L (real life), they are friends no less than the penpals people once cherished.

May the company he founded bear more fruit in his memory and enrich our lives still further.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2011 - 2:43AM #6
Merope

Oct 5, 2011 -- 7:57PM, rocketjsquirell wrote:

Just heard. Now we know why he stepped down from leadership in Apple. I wonder if Apple will continue to thrive without him. 56 is much too young. 

Agreed, way too young.  No cause of death has been announced, but it has to be connected to - if not directly caused by - his pancreatic cancer.  Jeez, that type of cancer takes them out young :-(

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2011 - 4:34PM #7
BDboy

Oct 5, 2011 -- 10:13PM, DotNotInOz wrote:

A legend, yes, but I would rather call him a benchmark of an era. I don't think any of us can adequately calculate the profound changes in our lives brought about by the genius of this man.

Had it not been for that little Mac with dial-up modem that I bought almost 20 years ago, I'd never have "met" the several friends I have all over the world as a result--would never have known they existed--including my husband since we met in an AOL chatroom.

Although I'll likely never meet most of them in R/L (real life), they are friends no less than the penpals people once cherished.

May the company he founded bear more fruit in his memory and enrich our lives still further.

>>>>>>> Well said.

He was an inspiration to many people like me.

Amazing and inspiring. He loved his work and made our lives better via his work.

He will be missed...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2011 - 6:30PM #8
REteach

He was one of the people who changed the world in ways we can't even see yet.  

Now God has access to Apples.  

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2011 - 11:42AM #9
Merope

Apple and the Jobs family seem to be keeping extraordinarily mum about the cause of death and circumstances surrounding his death.

However, according to a Bloomberg article, Apple security officials met with police in Palo Alto this week to notify them that Jobs was close to death, a spokeswoman with the police department said.  According to the Palo Alto PD, Apple representatives told the police department there was “a possibility that it could happen this week.” 

Following the meeting, the police devised a plan to put patrols in the area around the Jobs' home once they heard from the company that he had died, according to Sandra Brown, the spokeswoman.  She said “It’s common sense for us to work together.  If you think about who he was and his contribution to the world, people might come out in masses.”  Jobs lived in a home that was modest, for a person of his means, on a public street open to pedestrians and traffic. The extra patrols were necessary for safety reasons, she said. 

Apple was supposed to inform the police of Jobs’ death before making a public announcement so the department could prepare, said Brown.  Instead, police learned he had died when the company issued a press release at about 4:30 PM local time on Oct. 5.

Steve Dowling, an Apple spokesman, declined to comment about the police meeting.

As it turned out, only about 40 people showed up around Jobs’ home after his death was announced.

Jobs had been diagnosed in 2003 with a neuroendocrine tumor, a rare form of pancreatic cancer, and underwent a liver transplant in 2009. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2011 - 5:51PM #10
DotNotInOz

I don't know why the precise cause of Jobs' death needs to be made public.  It's none of our business.

Considering how unlikely his surviving that type of cancer was, I'd say his cause of death was probably self-evident. 

Or perhaps he'd had enough and decided to end his life. That would understandably be information his family chose not to make public, although it's probably not the case since the police were forewarned by Apple that Jobs was dying.

Either way, not something we've any need to know.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook