Page 6 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
Switch to Forum Live View Programming microcontrollers
12 months ago  ::  May 31, 2013 - 10:32AM #51
Karma_yeshe_dorje

I have been discovering a very arcane list of UNIX commands!

Quick Reply
Cancel
11 months ago  ::  Jun 02, 2013 - 10:42AM #52
Karma_yeshe_dorje

There are different varieties of UNIX. I have found lots of Apple commands that my Ubuntu distro doesn't know about!

Quick Reply
Cancel
11 months ago  ::  Jun 12, 2013 - 2:43PM #53
Karma_yeshe_dorje

I have bought a new keyboard.
www.logitech.com/en-us/product/washable-...
And I have programmed appropriate functions for almost all the keys.

Quick Reply
Cancel
11 months ago  ::  Jun 23, 2013 - 12:29PM #54
Karma_yeshe_dorje

I also bought a new mouse. It's suitable for Linux. That means "plain vanilla"!

And I have been studying commandline shells. These beasties use a lot of strange characters!

Quick Reply
Cancel
10 months ago  ::  Jul 11, 2013 - 10:11AM #55
Karma_yeshe_dorje

Yanks can't code!

The annual ACM International Collegiate Programming Contest finished up last week for 2013, but for the first time since its inception in the 1970s, no U.S. college placed in the top 10. Through 1989, a U.S. college won first place every year, but there hasn't been one in first place since 1997. The U.S. college that has won most frequently throughout the contest's history, Stanford, hasn't won since 1991. The 2013 top 10 consists entirely of colleges from Eastern Europe, East Asia, and India.

developers.slashdot.org/story/13/07/11/0...

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 months ago  ::  Sep 13, 2013 - 9:57AM #56
Karma_yeshe_dorje
I read about this issue in an argumentative debate on Slashdot.
linux.slashdot.org/story/13/09/10/131124...
This says that Linux trusts that your computer's random number generator is honest. But as below, the techies say that they cannot trust the chip-maker!

It is impossible for software to tell whether this instruction is actually returning random numbers or whether it has been deliberately subverted, either by Intel, by a malware microcode patch, or by a virtual machine operating system. One of the standards it relies on, NIST SP800-90, was led by an NSA employee and contains one known subverted random number generator, Dual_EC_DRBG.[7] Theodore Ts'o publicly stated, "I am so glad I resisted pressure from Intel engineers to let /dev/random rely only on the RDRAND instruction. To quote from the article below: 'By this year, the Sigint Enabling Project had found ways inside some of the encryption chips that scramble information for businesses and governments, either by working with chipmakers to insert back doors....' Relying solely on the hardware random number generator which is using an implementation sealed inside a chip which is impossible to audit is a BAD idea."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RdRand

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 months ago  ::  Jan 23, 2014 - 6:44AM #57
Karma_yeshe_dorje

I just attended a Linux club meeting. The range of skills was very wide! We had introductions. And there were some debates.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook