Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Shame On You, Oprah!
4 years ago  ::  Nov 16, 2010 - 10:29PM #1
solfeggio

When strolling through one of our two mall bookshops this afternoon, I decided to see if they had copies of the bush memoir.  One bookshop did, but the other didn't.  The shop that did had two copies at $75.00 each.  I can't imagine anybody buying such expensive toilet paper.

What I didn't realise until today was that bush had been interviewed by Oprah on her TV programme:

www.tvfiends.com/2010/11/oprah-president...

www.oprah.com/community/message/1350836

blog.zap2it.com/thedishrag/2010/11/presi...

I couldn't find any critiques of the interview in the online newspapers, so I had to rely on whatever was available in the online blogs.  Since it happened last week, maybe it qualifies as old news by now.

At any rate, I was horrified to see that Oprah had actually sunk so low as to have a known criminal on her show and treat such a person as if he was an honoured guest.

For shame, Oprah. 

What on earth is going on in American popular entertainment that such a thing happens?

You can see the popularity ratings on this site:

www.videosurf.com/videos/bush+interview+...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 16, 2010 - 10:35PM #2
appy20

He wasn't convicted of anything.  I agree with you that he should be but he wasn't.  Therefore, technially, he is a former president of our nation.  I would like to see him tried for war crimes.  It isn't going to happen.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 16, 2010 - 11:13PM #3
Stardove

When the SCOTUS made Bush president in 2000 I knew without a doubt the USA would be in a war while he was in office.  I also think there were war crimes under his administration.  I think Bush was a puppet and not elected either time.

Having said that Bush is a former President, so why shame Oprah?  She is ending her show after many, many years.  She is not ending her career.  Many shows have former presidents.  Some past president are loved while others are hated.

Bush pitched a ball at the baseball play-offs.  He still looks like a fool..IMO, of course. Dad Bush could hardly walk.

SMU is about to start Bush's library in Dallas.  There were protesters at the ground breaking this morning.  He is not dead.  He is a former poor president.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The sun rises every morning and sheds light, vanquishing the night's darkness. The rooster also rises every morning only, unlike the sun, he simply makes noise. But the darkness of the night is dispelled by sunshine, not by the rooster's crowing.The world can use more light and less noise. Where I can, I want to be light.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 16, 2010 - 11:26PM #4
jane2

Solf

I haven't watched Oprah in more than 20 years. Certainly I don't understand why anyone would.

It wasn't just Oprah, though. I thought I would gag on the overcoverage by NBC. Didn't watch any of that either.

Dubya came close to destroying our nation and a few others, too.. I've visited only one Presidential library--Harry Truman's in Missouri when we lived in Kansas. I want to visit the Carter library in Atlanta. We used to take guests to FDR's Little White House in Warm Springs GA.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 17, 2010 - 12:06AM #5
Roodog

Come on Guys,

Oprah is just doing her job, a former president is good for the ratings.

I didn't approve of all her guests, why should you?

And you call yourselves Liberal.....

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 17, 2010 - 9:04AM #6
Nepenthe

Would you say the same thing about President Obama, who is currently committing war crimes by executing people without due process, who may or may not be terrorists, through his aggressive advancement of drone bombings?

Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 17, 2010 - 10:10AM #7
Raindown

'Liberals' are only liberal if you agree with them.

I'm no Bush fan, but Bush didn't kill anyone by water boarding them. MOVE ON. He was dealing with terrorists who murder Americans or have you forgotten? Should he have put them up in the Hilton? Geez. He was not going to get anything out of them by using harsh language. He SAVED lives by getting the information he needed and it was only authorized in a handful of cases. It isn't like people were getting water boarded 24/7!!  People WAKE UP.

It's odd how people want revenge, only when they are harmed on a personal level.

Here is something to think about. 

What would you do to someone if he murdered your child, parent, or any loved one in cold-blood? Would you then think water boarding to be too extreme? Would you like to sit down and talk to this murderer to ask him why he decided to kill your beautiful child, or would you barely be able to contain yourself in his presence? If you are honest, you'd probably want to hurt anyone that harmed your loved one. If so, then you have no reason to cry "fry Bush." He did his job and it worked. Stop being part of the problem and realize terrorists will die as terrorists.

There is a light at the end of every tunnel…just pray it’s not a train!-unknown
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 17, 2010 - 12:04PM #8
Roodog

Nov 17, 2010 -- 9:04AM, Nepenthe wrote:

Would you say the same thing about President Obama, who is currently committing war crimes by executing people without due process, who may or may not be terrorists, through his aggressive advancement of drone bombings?

If it wasn't for "O" ,

"o" wouldn't be President!

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 17, 2010 - 2:26PM #9
appy20

Nov 17, 2010 -- 10:10AM, Raindown wrote:

'Liberals' are only liberal if you agree with them.

I'm no Bush fan, but Bush didn't kill anyone by water boarding them. MOVE ON. He was dealing with terrorists who murder Americans or have you forgotten? Should he have put them up in the Hilton? Geez. He was not going to get anything out of them by using harsh language. He SAVED lives by getting the information he needed and it was only authorized in a handful of cases. It isn't like people were getting water boarded 24/7!!  People WAKE UP.

It's odd how people want revenge, only when they are harmed on a personal level.

Here is something to think about. 

What would you do to someone if he murdered your child, parent, or any loved one in cold-blood? Would you then think water boarding to be too extreme? Would you like to sit down and talk to this murderer to ask him why he decided to kill your beautiful child, or would you barely be able to contain yourself in his presence? If you are honest, you'd probably want to hurt anyone that harmed your loved one. If so, then you have no reason to cry "fry Bush." He did his job and it worked. Stop being part of the problem and realize terrorists will die as terrorists.

If someone murdered someone I loved, I surely wouldn't declare war on a nation that had nothing to do with it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 17, 2010 - 3:22PM #10
solfeggio

It's just not right that anybody, former president or not, who is plainly guilty of numerous crimes against the state as well as being responsible for the deaths of thousands of people, should be accorded any sort of honours at all by the news media.  And, since Oprah is a big noise in America and wields enormous influence, she of all people should have declined to have this bush person on her show!!!!!

Like Jane, I haven't watched the Oprah show in many years.  Although it was true that now and then she would have a guest worth listening to, for the most part her programmes dealt with trivial subjects and were shallow in the extreme.  I didn't know she was going off the air.  But, then, why not?  She can now spend all her time luxuriating in her various multi-million dollar mansions and private jets.

But, it just bothers me very much that this former president is being touted and wined and dined by the different news media to this extent, and that he's being paid big bucks for these appearances.  And so what if he is a former president?  It doesn't make him anybody special.  He's just another politician whose family money bought him high office.  Happens all the time, more's the pity.

I believe it was John Adams who wrote to his wife from the White House: 'May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof.'  Well, Mr. Adams must be rolling over in his grave to see what has transpired in the country he helped to create, and what sort of people are ruling under his roof these days.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook