Switch to Forum Live View Oprah being sued for plagiarism
4 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2010 - 1:43PM #1
Ironhold

link

According to the story, in 2008 an author wrote a handbook about the presidential elections and sent a few copies up to Oprah in an effort to gain publicity; he heard nothing in response.

Then earlier this year, she reportedly read entire passages from the book on the air w/o citation.

Dunno about anyone else, but I get the feeling that even if Oprah's guilty she'll be getting away cleanly; she's got the fame and the money to be pretty well untouchable.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2010 - 1:46PM #2
Christianlib

Suing is one thing.  Winning in court yet another.

Let's wait and see.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2010 - 5:16PM #3
Hatman

Plagiarism?

i thought that plagiarism, by definition, was to claim someone else's written work as your own; does simply reading the work of another and forgetting to mention the author thereof rise to that level?

Methinks not, but it's now a matter for a judge to decide.

Warmest regards-

Hatman

"History records that the moneychangers have used every form of abuse, deceit, intrigue, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and it's issuance."
-- James Madison(1751-1836), Father of the Constitution for the USA, 4th US President
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2010 - 5:28PM #4
Christianlib

I think you are right, Hat.

The author SENT her the work.  Did he not intend for it to be read?

At WORST, this is lack of attribution.  At best, it is BS.

As a longtime writer for broadcast media (mostly advertising), I can tell you that NO show or network will accept unsolicited work, manuscript or printed, without the author having signed a release.

They do this to protect themselves against the silly, "I sent CSI a story "just like that" five years ago.  They never replied, and now they've stolen my work."

No signed release, the unsolicited work will be returned unopened.  IF accidently opened, it will be returned with an affidavit from the legal dept. saying it has not been read.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2010 - 6:55PM #5
Ebon

Oct 28, 2010 -- 5:16PM, Hatman wrote:

Plagiarism? i thought that plagiarism, by definition, was to claim someone else's work as your own; does simply reading the work of another and forgetting to mention the author thereof rise to that level? Methinks not, but it's now a matter for a judge to decide. Warmest regards- Hatman

Depending on the circumstances, it could be considered parody, fair use, lacking attribution (which is technically illegal but generally considered a slap on the wrist) or outright plagerism.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 04, 2010 - 8:37AM #6
Agnosticspirit

This thread has been moved from Hot Topics. Local guidelines apply going forward. 

agnosticspirit - Bnet community cohost

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook