Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Facebook wants to own the English language
4 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2010 - 4:18PM #1
MMarcoe

Mark Zuckerberg wants to own "face," "book," and maybe even "like." Should we let him?

www.computerworld.com/s/article/9192700/...

www.infoworld.com/d/adventures-in-it/fac...

There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.

God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2010 - 4:24PM #2
Abner1

MMarcoe wrote:

> Mark Zuckerberg wants to own "face," "book," and maybe even "like." Should we let him?

Of course we should - after all, once Warner Brothers came along (or maybe it was the Marx Brothers), we stopped letting anyone else refer to themselves as 'brothers' ...  And no other characters in any medium can be called 'Mickey' or a 'mouse' after Mickey Mouse came along.  That way every new character or reference impoverishes the English language, forever removing any other references that use that word.

I'll start by referring to this idea as 'meretricious'.  Unfortunately that's one word used up forever, but I think this idea deserves it.  :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2010 - 4:35PM #3
Yavanna

Oct 27, 2010 -- 4:18PM, MMarcoe wrote:

Mark Zuckerberg wants to own "face," "book," and maybe even "like." Should we let him?

Like, the Valley Girls totally like, you know... like, came up with like before Facebook.

In all seriousness Facebook is one word. It's a copyrighted company name, but to expect to control the actual English behind it is absurd.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2010 - 5:59PM #4
MSaraTemp

Oct 27, 2010 -- 4:18PM, MMarcoe wrote:

FACE PALM!!!

But NO, he doesn't own any words whatsoever and shouldn't.

Just WHO does he think he is???

He only gets to own the copyright of "Facebook" itself.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2010 - 8:26PM #5
MMarcoe

Oct 27, 2010 -- 4:24PM, Abner1 wrote:

MMarcoe wrote:

> Mark Zuckerberg wants to own "face," "book," and maybe even "like." Should we let him?

Of course we should - after all, once Warner Brothers came along (or maybe it was the Marx Brothers), we stopped letting anyone else refer to themselves as 'brothers' ...  And no other characters in any medium can be called 'Mickey' or a 'mouse' after Mickey Mouse came along.  That way every new character or reference impoverishes the English language, forever removing any other references that use that word.

I'll start by referring to this idea as 'meretricious'.  Unfortunately that's one word used up forever, but I think this idea deserves it.  :)

What about the Everly Brothers?

And Mighty Mouse?

There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.

God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2010 - 9:07PM #6
Abner1

MMarcoe wrote:

> What about the Everly Brothers?  And Mighty Mouse?

Clearly copyright violations whose creators should have been jailed ... right?  :)

And if Mighty Mouse had been a valid copyright, then the Mighty Ducks were an illegal use of the word 'mighty'.

I think we should jail Mark Zuckerberg's parents for copyright violation too - after all, he's hardly the first 'Mark' in the world, and probably not the first 'Zuckerberg'.  If they didn't acquire exclusive use to the rights of both names, they had no right to name him that.  Hmmmph, the nerve!

(Er, just in case, for the humor-impaired ... there is a good deal of sarcasm in the above.  I know MMarcoe is going to get it, but there may be others out there who might think I'm serious.)

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2010 - 9:32AM #7
Christianlib

Obviously,  when it comes to things like Copyrights, Patents, and such protections of what the law calls "Intellectual Property," wanting and getting are two different things.

And successfully defending in court even still something else.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2010 - 11:57AM #8
TemplarS

This is the tip of the iceberg.

Do you know that you might not even own the genes in your own body?

www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/04/01/60min...

"But the good news is that since the mapping of the human genome, science has made some giant leaps in detecting and treating inherited conditions.

By detecting those genes, for example the genes that predispose women to breast cancer, doctors can offer preemptive treatment. It sounds simple enough, but there's a catch: a woman may have that gene, but strange as it seems, it's really the property of a biotech company that has taken out a patent on it. "

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2010 - 12:08PM #9
Christianlib

I'd like to see time try to repossess it.Surprised

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2010 - 12:26PM #10
mytmouse57

So, does that mean I can own the "F" word?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook