Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View civilization marches on
4 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2010 - 7:57PM #1
catboxer

I learned quite a few previously unknown and in fact never-imagined facts today from an  article at AOL (an AOL original, no less) by a Jeff Glucker. It concerned a young man who recently set the new horizontal distance record for launching a so-called "monster truck" off a dirt ramp and into the air.

I learned, for example, that "Lots of folks in this country remember a time when they attended a monster truck event." I'll take Jeff Glucker's word for that, although not only do I not remember such a time, I don't know a single person who does, that I'm aware of anyway. But no matter, I know they're out there.

I also was fascinated to find out that there is a "monster truck industry" and a "monster truck world," the latter of which "may have peaked in September of 1999, when Dan Runte drove the iconic Big Foot off a ramp and over a Boeing 747. That jump put him in the record books when his tires touched down 202 feet from where they left the Earth."

Joe Sylvester, the young man who broke that 11-year-old record a few days ago by launching a 10,200-pound truck off a dirt ramp so that it remained airborne for 208 horizontal feet, is from Boardman, Ohio, where I lived part of my childhood.

The AOL article does a good job of explaining how Sylvester accomplished this noteworthy feat, which is now enshrined in the annals of American civilization, as well as recounting in some detail the amount of work and sacrifice Sylvester and his crew had to make to reach this goal. However, it begs the question, why would anyone want to do such a thing?

From the article's comments section: "What's the last thing a redneck says before he dies? 'Hey, y'all, watch this.' "

Adepto vestri stercore simul.ttr
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2010 - 8:49PM #2
arielg

Too much idle time. Bad economy my foot.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2010 - 9:54PM #3
mountain_man

I got to drive Big Foot..... about 10 feet.... but I drove it. Cool

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2010 - 8:12AM #4
REteach

I remember going to car stunt shows, but we didn't really have monster trucks then. 

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2010 - 11:58AM #5
MMarcoe

I think we all know what these drivers of massive trucks are compensating for, ahem ahem.

I'm doing just fine with my small car.

1. Extremists think that thinking means agreeing with them.
2. There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.
3. God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2010 - 12:57PM #6
teilhard

Add-in ... Snowmobiles ... Dirt-Bikes ...  Power-Boats. etc. ...

Noisy Gas-Wasters ...

( Are any of those covered in The Second Amendment ... ???  Just asking ... )

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2010 - 5:25PM #7
appy20

I have never been able to understand NASCAR.  I certainly don't get monster trucks and their weird derbies.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2010 - 7:20PM #8
catboxer

Sep 10, 2010 -- 12:57PM, teilhard wrote:

Noisy Gas-Wasters ...

Teilhard, I would exempt snowmobiles from that short list under certain circumstances, such as those that prevail in rural Alaska in the wintertime.

I have friend who has lived and worked in Dillingham, on Bristol Bay all his life. He tells me that for about half the year, the "Sno-go" as he calls it is the only way to get around and obtain basic supplies. In many places, the sno-go has literally been the only means of personal transportation capable of replacing the dog sled.

Other than that, your list is in synch with the spirit of the OP.

Adepto vestri stercore simul.ttr
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 12, 2010 - 4:09PM #9
mytmouse57

Sep 10, 2010 -- 12:57PM, teilhard wrote:

Noisy Gas-Wasters ...

I hunt on foot -- or from a canoe I paddle myself.  And I scoff at those who use machines to "hunt."

I'm not a big fan of so-called "power sports."

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 12, 2010 - 4:11PM #10
mytmouse57

Was never much for "monster trucks."

If I want redneck fun, nothing beats a good, old-fashioned demolition derby.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook