Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View 'Ahmed,' a French Cathedral's Muslim Gargoyle
4 years ago  ::  Sep 11, 2010 - 5:26PM #11
Weepingangelofthetrees

Sep 11, 2010 -- 2:52PM, whirligngg wrote:

Weep--

Thanks for the cool photos.

Most of Folletts writing before "Pillars" and "World" was spy novels--which he does exceedingly well.

Gothic cathedrals and their masons caught his fancy and he spent a number of years doing research before he wrote his gtwo Gothic cathdral books.

There is also a recently made for cable movie out on dvd based on "Pillars"

You're welcome. Smile And thanks for the DVD heads up. I'll have to check at the local library and see if it's available there. 

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
Stephen Colbert
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 11, 2010 - 5:33PM #12
Weepingangelofthetrees

Sep 11, 2010 -- 12:09AM, jane2 wrote:

Sep 10, 2010 -- 11:26PM, Weepingangelofthetrees wrote:

Sep 10, 2010 -- 10:41PM, jane2 wrote:

Sep 10, 2010 -- 10:02PM, Weepingangelofthetrees wrote:

Sep 8, 2010 -- 11:34PM, Erey wrote:

LOL,  I know being depectied as a gargoyle is not very flattering most of the time but I sure would be touched. 

As would I. He'll live forever in effigy. And the church Fathers, in any year and even unto the next century, providing the planet's still here , will be able to tell tourists or the curious the name of that Gargoyle and how he came into being. Especially in that region where Muslims may feel besieged by Sarkozy and the French government, it's an excellent gesture.

I've adored Gargoyles for a very long time. One of my favorites is the Baby Dragon (at least that's what I call her) Gargoyle at Llangadwaladr Church in north Wales.

Next...............

So how many French Gothic cathedrals have y'all visited?? Read and absorbed PILLARS OF THE EARTH??

Many years ago my family and I spent one day visiting and studying Notre Dame in Paris, having recently visited St. Peter's in Rome, Romanesque, of course. Stopped in at Westminster in London, too.

Actually flying buttresses engage me more than gargoyles.

I would agree the architecture of the flying buttress can easily become a favorite.
You should visit the Cologne Cathedral, if you want to further your awe for extraordinary masterwork.
Even there I adore their Gargoyles. Buttresses are one thing and definitely a favorite, but the caricature afforded by the Gargoyle , is what engages my attention and curiosity.

And I can not say I've read much of Follett.

PILLARS OF THE EARTH is mainstream reading in my family. My youngest daughter gave it to me many years ago.

Actually Father Andrew Greeley wrote a fascinating novel about the Cologne Cathedral. Gave a copy to a friend who had been there.

One of my minors in college was history, half ot it European history, which I love. Of course, in Catholic college, we also studied the birth of the Gothic cathedrals. Flying butresses made these cathedrals possible. That is just history.

My favorite Cathedral in the US is St. Patrick's on some of the most prime real estate on Fifth Avenue in New York. It's history can be read in AMERICAN CATHOLIC by Charles Morris. It's even a bit kitschy, but it commands mid-Manhattan Fifth Avenue.

Except for visiting my daughter5 in California and my son's family in Charlotte my traveling days are over--I'm 70 and ahte the hassle travel has become. My memories, however, are enough. Gracious, at 33 I had circumnavigated the globe with many stops and my husband and I kept travelling because we loved it.

The story about the gargoyle in southern France was interesting but not phenominal to me.

The memories you must have! And the photographs. My aunt is 84 and she's still travel frisky. Wink My uncle died a few years ago and she now travels with her friends or her son/my cousin. Things have changed a lot since she and my uncle traveled abroad, so she likes to venture out and see what's new. The security thing at airports is a pain, but she says for the short time that lasts, to have days and even weeks of fun upon arrival at her destination(s),  make it all worth it in the end.

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
Stephen Colbert
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 12, 2010 - 1:06AM #13
whirligngg

Weep--hi.

Have you had a chance yet to travel to Europe?

If not I hope you get to go soon. You will be in heaven when you walk into your first Gothic cathedral. I recommend Notre Dame in Paris and also Ste. Chapelle in Paris. And St. Denis--burial church for French kings--nearby.

(Go to Notre Dame de Paris on Sunday when they play the fabulous 18th century pipe organ for high mass. It shakes the whole building.)

Okay I am prejudiced in favor of French Gothic...especially Parisian Gothic--they have soooo many gorgeous examples all in one city! Often within a few city blocks of each other.....Cool

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 12, 2010 - 2:44PM #14
Weepingangelofthetrees

Sep 12, 2010 -- 1:06AM, whirligngg wrote:

Weep--hi.

Have you had a chance yet to travel to Europe?

If not I hope you get to go soon. You will be in heaven when you walk into your first Gothic cathedral. I recommend Notre Dame in Paris and also Ste. Chapelle in Paris. And St. Denis--burial church for French kings--nearby.

(Go to Notre Dame de Paris on Sunday when they play the fabulous 18th century pipe organ for high mass. It shakes the whole building.)

Okay I am prejudiced in favor of French Gothic...especially Parisian Gothic--they have soooo many gorgeous examples all in one city! Often within a few city blocks of each other.....

I would love to travel to Europe and see it all.  I'll definitely remember Notre Dame on Sunday. I very much enjoy Gregorian chant music , so I'm certain to like the pipe organ playing at high mass.

The architecture amid the European cities is striking. I enjoy what we have here in America, but there's nothing like what I've seen of the European style. Wholly different and awe inspiring to say the least.

Stephen Colbert
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 12, 2010 - 9:36PM #15
whirligngg

Weep--hi.

I studied Gothic architecture extensibely before I went to Frnce for almost half a yeqr.

I have to warn you--no matter how much you study/prepare in advance--the magnificence is unimaginable.

Sitting in the Ste. Chapelle as the jewel-like light streamed through the stained glass windows and washed over me was a transcendent moment in my life.

I can't seem to get photos to post here--do you think you could post a photo of the Ste. Chapelle here if I posted a link for you?

BTW--it's always a pleasure to meet up with another Gothic architecture afficianado! Cool

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 13, 2010 - 3:38PM #16
Christianlib

Just THINK how magnificent those cathedrals would be if they didn't need crippled, deformed men to ring their bells.Innocent

(Victor told me so.)

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 13, 2010 - 3:42PM #17
jane2

Sep 13, 2010 -- 3:38PM, Christianlib wrote:

Just THINK how magnificent those cathedrals would be if they didn't need crippled, deformed men to ring their bells.

(Victor told me so.)

You are baaad...............Wink

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 13, 2010 - 3:45PM #18
Weepingangelofthetrees

Sep 12, 2010 -- 9:36PM, whirligngg wrote:

BTW--it's always a pleasure to meet up with another Gothic architecture afficianado!

Aficionado? I'm flattered but hardly worthy of the term. I realize the real life experience would be far superior to the awe afforded in pictures and art history books. It's one of those things that make a "bucket list" worth while. Wink Travel, awe, picking one's self off the chapel floor! HA!

What are you doing to try to post the pictures here?

Stephen Colbert
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 22, 2010 - 8:49PM #19
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook