Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View Speaking of Favorite Misspellings
4 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2010 - 10:45AM #21
Christianlib

Several years ago, in an intentionally un-named city, as an exec in one of the large ad agencies in town, I was asked to address a HS Extended Education (read "work study") business class on how ads are made.

The speech went fine.

Two days later, I received a thank you note from the teacher which read (honestly) "Us at Westfield would apprecieate thanks you for comming  to our class."  (all spellings as in note.)

THE TEACHER!!

HIGH SCHOOL!!

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2010 - 12:54PM #22
David

I went to public screwels..and nevr mispel anyting....Wink

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2010 - 12:59PM #23
appy20

We also had kids bring in vocabulary lists that their teacher's had typed and photocopied.  One list had 40% of the words misspelled on it.  We didn't see the list at first.  The child asked for a dictionary, we gave it to him down and he looked up the words.  Then the child came to the desk and said he couldn't find some of the words.  That was because none of those words were in any dictionary.  These were not  typos either.  The words were just misspelled.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2010 - 3:56PM #24
Cesmom

Aug 18, 2010 -- 7:40PM, Girlchristian wrote:

Aug 18, 2010 -- 5:31PM, farragut wrote:

An interesting word misuse that I see often here on the edge of Dixie is "ideal" in place of "idea." I have not been able to decipher the thought processes of the miscreants, but chalk it up to ignorance.

Ooh, that one drives me nuts! Something that also drives me nuts isn't necessarily grammar or an usage error, it's when people say "warsh" instead of "wash." My mom does it and some other people I know that came from Michigan (and Colorado) say it, but it seriously makes my skin crawl much like nails on a chalkboard.

That made me laugh out loud.  My husband is from the south, and I have to give him a hard time about how he says some things...adding the 'R' sound to the end of a word seems to be a common theme for him..."warsh", "yeller", etc.  After 16 years, I still look at him like, did you really just say that?  Tongue out

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2010 - 4:17PM #25
Girlchristian

Aug 19, 2010 -- 3:56PM, Cesmom wrote:

Aug 18, 2010 -- 7:40PM, Girlchristian wrote:

Aug 18, 2010 -- 5:31PM, farragut wrote:

An interesting word misuse that I see often here on the edge of Dixie is "ideal" in place of "idea." I have not been able to decipher the thought processes of the miscreants, but chalk it up to ignorance.

Ooh, that one drives me nuts! Something that also drives me nuts isn't necessarily grammar or an usage error, it's when people say "warsh" instead of "wash." My mom does it and some other people I know that came from Michigan (and Colorado) say it, but it seriously makes my skin crawl much like nails on a chalkboard.

That made me laugh out loud.  My husband is from the south, and I have to give him a hard time about how he says some things...adding the 'R' sound to the end of a word seems to be a common theme for him..."warsh", "yeller", etc.  After 16 years, I still look at him like, did you really just say that? 

Yup, I've given up on saying, "Mom, there is no "r" in wash." It's pointless!

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2010 - 10:24PM #26
rangerken

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Rangerken, Hot topics co-host

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook