Page 3 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Has Facebook changed your life?
4 years ago  ::  Sep 13, 2010 - 11:12AM #21
Lisa@handbags4hunger

To the previous posters, especially the one with children, I do feel sad for your situation. I don't however think Facebook is to blame. The boyfriend/Husband involved just used Facebook to show their true colors, thereby accelerating the eventual process that would have possibly taken years to reveal - a phone number found in a pants pocked, lipstick on the collar, a chance late night out that seems suspicious? The signs are just all that more obvious now. Painful? Yes? But in a way Facebook just saved you the time you were wasting with these scoundrels. Better you find out now what their propensities to cheat are, and get on with your life away from them and their loser ways, than to waste a lifetime with them only to find out too late it was all a lie.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 14, 2010 - 2:01AM #22
Viking121

I was on Facebook for 1 week and the information sharing and hearing from people I have not seen in such a long time panicked me.

I have been living a solitary life taking care of husband since 2002.  When he died last year the gates to my farm began to keep me in rather than the world out.

I found while on facebook, although I am very generous to anyone who needs my help, I lacked any interest in anything or anyone.  I realized painfully I have no life purpose and no joy.

I live because it is not my right to end life but I have no desire to begin anything.  I'm just waiting and performing life.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 14, 2010 - 5:32AM #23
runnerjune

To Viking121 I wish you peace...and i highly recommend you seek a counselor to battle your depression.

Life is GREAT...

seek help...you made a step by your post on this forum, now make a call. Your husband would NOT want you to be so unhappy.

God Bless you.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 14, 2010 - 9:46AM #24
Poppadion

Facebook, has made my identity more impossible to stay private. Too many intruders, and scam artist frequent this site! Family and Acquaintances, are apart of privacy; but others from work, play, Distant recipients of my personality are invited but selectively asked to be brief, and don't radically involve me in scams, theories of friendly speech, values, habits. and vices continue to subject me to their points of view freely.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2010 - 11:43AM #25
Sunshine1071

For a long time I spent my life alone and depressed. Recently I lost my  mom & younger brother and was forced into a new life. I had discovered Facebook before they died - through my younger brother. I had just started it and was starting to build my "friends" when they passed away. Now I have used it to re-connect to my old friends and to build new friendships. I have even re-connected with an old boyfriend of 20+ years ago and we are working on building a new friendship and getting to know each other all over again - purely friendship only!  FB has proven to be a valuable tool to me!  I have found I can't be alone anymore and have been working on my depression a lot and have come a long way.  I  miss my family terribly, but now have a new outlook and value for my friendships - they mean the world to me.  I now make friends to last a life time & no longer take them for granted.  Some friends I connect with solely by FB and others I talk with by phone and meet with for lunch or whatever.  Some are out of state and some are literally 10 minutes away.  It's wonderful to have found my old friends that are now grown up and living in my backyard, so to speak.  In times of trouble you really find out who your friends are.  My younger brother lived out of state and through FB I connected with some of his friends and unfortunately had to let some of them know of his death that way - as terrible as that sounds, it was the only way.  Of course it was through a private message.

To sum it up - Facebook as proven to be very valuable to me over these months and I really don't know what I would have done without it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 20, 2010 - 4:27AM #26
ds1moved

Facebook has helped me to keep track of my grandson who is fighting in Afghanistan. Of course it becomes stressful when he doesn't post anything for a few days. But, as long as he is posting something I know he is physically okay. Thats the only way I can find out about his status. So I would have to say my answer would be a big NO it doesn't cause stress for me.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 26, 2010 - 12:34PM #27
MarleneEmmett5

I was adopted when I was a baby.
Now I never ever thought that I had siblings~ That is till 2006 when I received a phone call
telling me that I had one~ A baby sister, 8 years younger who'd also been given up at birth.
Now, I've been waiting to hear from her~ four years later in July I received a phone call from
our caseworker~ Your sister wants to talk to you!!! I was in shock~hell, I'm still in shock!
Do  you know what it's like to find out something like this?
I told the case worker I have to run this by my husband~ I mean I'm not just changing
My life but his also!! Slept on it then wrote her an email~ "Send my sister everything"!!!!
That also meant my email, told her I was on facebook!!
To the people who invented it I say "Thank you"!!!

I received an email from someone named Randi~ I knew my sister's first name was Randi.
She'd found me on Facebook~and we began talking.
Now here's the magic of Facebook comes into "play"~ when she sent me the second one I
really read it~ And it seems I don't have 1 sister~ NO, I have 2!! also a neice,nephew and
2 great nephews & they're going to have a baby brother in April!!!
Now also found out her dad and his brother are still alive~ Could have cousins,aunts/uncles
I don't know about as of yet!!

making new friends of her friends~have told all of my friends & cousins and my husband's
family about my siblings/family!!

Sis and I love Facebook~ that's how we keep in touch!!!

Also keep intouch with old friends from where I used to live and go to school
facebook isn't stressful for me~ nope, what brings me stress is dealing with everyday
things like bills,my husband and regular life.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 27, 2010 - 12:27PM #28
lester_thomas

Ok, I have an account with Facebook. When I was deployed to Iraq this last year I was able to see what my daughters were upto daily because of her mother kept everyone up to date on what she was doing with them. Unfortunately for me She found someone new while I was away on facebook. Now I work in the Surveillance field. im not going to say what, but key catches work great. I deployed in Feb2009, he contacted her VIA FARMTOWN March 2009. and they hit it off. i was busy didnt care. no biggie, MY LIFE WAS MORE IMPORTANT!!!! BUT facebook has opened up a channel. in spite of what it allowed. to find friends, that were long since lost. to rekindle hope when there was no one there for a shoulder to cry on. or a person to talk to due to distances. there was only this little website. now the whole put it out there and everyone will know. FIRST OF ALL, I DONT KEEP SECRETS. I AM WHAT I AM. if you arent comfortable with who you are, you might want to reconsider facebook or myspace. they WILL make you uncomfortable. if you are a extrovert, gotta do, gotta do, and dont like slowing down? go for it on the mobile devices! thats how i work it now more than ever! And now me and my 2 wonderful daughters go all over the world. I know its got its trips and pitfalls, but seriously its a good thing if you want it to be good. Its like going into combat and not thinking ill be shot at. HELLO! those are people on the other side that want to know you! Get out there!!! I did, and I now have the girl of my dreams AND my two daughters..So I can Say Thanks for bringing me more than what i had before in my life.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 27, 2010 - 8:34PM #29
harvey

i agree, facebook is way more intrusive than any other social network, it makes you wonder what they do with all your info.and in order to get a app you have to allow or give them permission not only to get your info but all your friends info too. i think that is wrong but hey im on it about everyday, so i guess im not bothered too bad by it.they just need to change a few things up.i've got good chat friends on there and recently found a old school friend that i had been wondering about for a long time.it has good and not so good about it. it boils down to personal choice.well gotta go see about my farm on farmville lol

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 03, 2010 - 9:21AM #30
sunryse1

Ok here I go..
At first facebook was hard for me to figure out and I was already on Myspace for some time. My main goal of these networks was to help spread the word on Animal Welfare. yes I am an animal activist (not radical). Well Face book was great for this, there is a whole community of activists. This was a huge platform for getting strays out of shelters and into rescue homes, foster homes, adopted..all around the world. It was a great way to bring about change too, petitions were circulated, politicians contacted on animal welfare reform, media conatcted to bring out the horrible animal abuse cases that normally would be swept under the rug. Transports were set-up through FB and many many animals were saved.

Oh and yes contacting some people from the past was great, but some were left in the past for a reason and them finding you is awkward.

The bad of Facebook: The scams, yes I fell prey to them and am out of pocket nearly a thousand dollars.
The phony people who groom you for friendship only to betray and con you. For people like me who are home all the time (due to an illness), people who are trusting and wanting new friends like me get scammed.

One person I met and thought I had developed a friendship with that felt as if we had been sisters turned out to use me for money. When I no longer sent money and I commented on her lifestyle choices ( she was having an affair with a married man and even went to his wife's home) she cut our friendship. That was fine with me because I felt like a fool when I realized  I am being used- plus I struggled with knowing about her affair- that poor wife!

Sorry so long but I wanted my experience known. While facebook may be a good tool for finding people it can also turn into a nightmare, cause daily stress and anxiety, and become a financial problem.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook