Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Has Facebook changed your life?
4 years ago  ::  Jul 19, 2010 - 11:03AM #1
Jeanninehunter

Social networking giant Facebook expects to reach the 500-million user mark this week.

"In its six-year history, the site has become ritualized in our daily lives. It has even attracted the unwilling who join for fear of being cut out of the social fabric. It has connected old friends and family. It has helped make and break political campaigns and careers. It has turned many of us into daily communicators of one-line missives on the profound and mundane. And it has tested the limits of what we care to share and keep private," Washington Post technology reporter Cecilia Kang wrote in the Post Tech blog Monday.

It's made my world smaller, but richer by linking me to dynamic people I once worked or went to school with as well as others with similar interests. It has helped me personally and professionally, for example, by allowing me to get candid, accessible and FREE career advice from experts in my field. I just returned from a reunion from my old childhood neighborhood and heard about the event, who was attending and other info solely from Facebook.

I've also been amazed at how it's harnessed to help support philanthropy. Someone I knew from the arts community in Nashville asked for support as he arranged a trip to Haiti to volunteer after the quake and he blogged about his experience before, during and after he returned. Or, how folks assisted former colleagues who were displaced by the Nashville floods. And it's made it easier to hear about and donate to charity events such as annual walk-a-thons as well as learn about some of my associate's poignant moments and their need for assistance whether it's a lighthearted video link, a private direct message or prayer. 

"The company will celebrate topping the lofty half-billion mark by trotting out a new marketing play called Facebook Stories, according to AllThingsDigital," Clint Boulton wrote for eWeek.com.  "Stories will feature real-life stories about people who have used the social network to connect with long-lost friends, relatives and loved ones."

How about you? Has Facebook changed your life and how? 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2010 - 10:01AM #2
Christopher.king

Well, it has certainly provided me with a greater variety of ways to pass some time.

Plus I have had the pleasure of interacting again, through various means, with people who I thought lost to time and distance.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 23, 2010 - 10:15AM #3
ladytabitha

I have deactivated my account.  It was fun at first because I found some long lost friends.  But then it got too stressful.  I don't like all those notifications from my friends and their friends.  It is none of my business.  I tried to make it more private but it just didn't work.  That site is a great way to lose your privacy and your identity.  I will not be using that site again!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 24, 2010 - 9:03AM #4
Lisa

I also disengaged my account with facebook.  When I saw that my soon to be ex husbands girlfriend was on it!  She was listed as a friend of ours so I knew she could gain access to my account, I didn't want her to know my business and I also had my son change his privacy settings.  I had fun playing the games and connecting with some old friends but there are some people you just don't want them to find you! I also felt I spent to much time on it (especially playing the games).  I know it's fun for alot of people and I am amazed at all  the organizations that are on it.  I'd love to join back up again to support some org. that are very near and dear to my heart, I'll think I'll stick to the old fashioned way of doing things by keeping in touch by phone, it's much more personal.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 27, 2010 - 10:26AM #5
Christopher.king

So we have one person (no photo) who enjoyed Facebook until it got too the point of too many notifications, a policy Facebook has changed, and which might not have happened had the client not given permission to every app in the book (I know, Farmville was too tempting to pass up), and another respondant, again without a photo, preferring to do things "the old fashioned way" and yet has no problems with filing a reply in an ONLINE forum.

Also, the unrealistic idea that a person only ever dated once in their lives is kind of silly. Really, who cares? Try not to worry about his or anyone else's past. We all have one. All that should matter is that he's marrying YOU! Focus instead on the future the two of you are going to share and all the good times ahead.

Now, about the privacy things. Media's done a great job hyping that.  You want to talk about a lack of privacy, instead of worrying about Facebook, try Googling your name and see what's out there. Every post you ever made. Group that you've joined. Blog. You name it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 01, 2010 - 7:59AM #6
jimid

Facebook has been a very good social network for me. I found alot of friends and relatives that i haven't had contact with in years.I would have never found my future wife without this site!Thank God for inspiring me to log on and use Facebook!This web site has changed my life for the better. No stress from this site. The games are anoying, but i don't play them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2010 - 12:44PM #7
Rubysmom

at first i was very excited about facebook. I had resisted joining for a long time because i did not want my teens on it. It was a great way to find people i hadn't seen in years and it helped me find my older daughters' uncle and aunt. But then i found myself becoming sad, or getting hurt feelings, and even angry because of the posts by my husband's family and his ex wife (not one of my friends). So I decided that I was the one with the problem and I wouldn't know these things or at least have them shoved in my face if i was not on facebook so i quit. It has been very freeing for me. Several of my friends are sad, but we talk on the phone anyway, so no great loss. I go outside more and spend more time with my children, all very good things. It has helped me realize what is important for me, and what is outside interference.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2010 - 8:53PM #8
webangel61

I agree a lot with what everyone is saying. There is no privacy. I too don't like to read about everyone's business that I know and don't know and there is some family business that I just rather not know because it upsets me. I have found old high school friends and family members who I haven't talked with in a very long time and made new friends. I got hooked on Farmville and was spending way tooo much time on it and nothing else would get done. There are pros and cons like in everything else to this. I think there needs to be more to the privacy settings. But this is like some other sites that I have joined. There is sooo much to do, soooo many people who you can hook up with and blogs.......how does anyone keep track of how many sites they have posted blogs on. This whole technology of writing your lifes story online is getting out of control everwhere. You thought that big brother was watching you way back when, well they are certainly watching now. And I don't feel the personal interaction by keeping up with someone by posting here or facebook or even by email. We need to get back to writing letters and phone calls. One last thing, what you type can also be taken out of context because of the lack of personalism. I have found this happening to me way too many times. That's my thought on facebook and any of the many sites that are out there were people are putting there life online.Innocent

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 11, 2010 - 6:30PM #9
sylvia

I plan to disengage my account as well, as I am receiving so many messages, along with notifications from friends and other people that it is becoming overwhelming.   If it was the only thing on my computer, but I have so much mail as it is.

People are becoming far too personal on here and who knows who all reads the mail.  It may have been a good idea in the beginning but right now, it is a pain that I don't need, and likely others.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 24, 2010 - 12:35AM #10
Avissi

Facebook for me was always a transition of things and my moods.  When I'm bored and doing nothing, the games I like is there, which, after the hype of farmtown and such, I got tired of eventually.  Then I've seen a lot of long lost friends, and finally found them through facebook, for that, I'm truly thankful.

FB has become THE Twitter for me, to update everyone else I know, excluding those who do not know me (that is why it is very important to customize setting and not disclose really important details - bday is one, but I like receiving gifts) and those I don't care to know about.  I like that FB increased the privacy settings because it became a wall, you know what I mean.

FB is also like a gallery for some pics I wouldn't waste my flickr account with, that my friends and family can relate to. 

I think, the most important portion is really how to make it as exclusive as possible by allowing only those that matters to you.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook