Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Here's one we can all agree on
4 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2010 - 7:09PM #1
coachbob

Epic Wimbleton Match suspended

John Isner and Nicolas Mahut's match was suspended in the 5th set today, with the 5th set score tied at 59-59 games!!!

They played for 10 hours today.  The very thought of that is mind boggling.  Previous to this the most memorable tennis match to me was one Borg and McEnroe played in back in the early '80s.  It does not even compare.

How these guys survived is beyond me, although I'm guessing they are in somewhat better shape than I am in. 

Whether you are  a sports fan or not, this is one of the most spectacular feats of any kind in my lifetime. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2010 - 7:37PM #2
Wendyness

One must admire their endurance.  I'd be dead.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2010 - 7:47PM #3
rocketjsquirell

That is a feat of amazing endurance.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2010 - 12:44AM #4
TPaine

It's a shame that one of them has to lose after such a battle.

"The genius of the Constitution rests not in any static meaning it might have had in a world that is dead and gone, but in the adaptability of its great principles to cope with current problems and current needs." -- Justice William Brennan: Speech to the Text and Teaching Symposium at Georgetown University (October 12, 1985)
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2010 - 7:10AM #5
karbie

It should have been stopped earlier--it's not a secret what overworking, dehydration, and heat exhaustion can do to the human body regardless of the level of fitness of the individual. How is it the officials have no trouble making a ruling about whether or not a ball touched a monecule of border paint but are unable to perceive that 10 hours is far too long to allow a match to drag on?

I've had heat exhaustion and even sun poisoning back before there were good sun blocks on the market, so I have a slight comparison...the sun poisoning was at Disney World back in the days before they'd started Epcot. I'm pretty sure that both men were beyond thinking of anything but hitting the next ball....but the judges sure weren't thinking either.

Kudos to whoever stopped the match.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2010 - 7:54AM #6
coachbob

Jun 24, 2010 -- 7:10AM, karbie wrote:

It should have been stopped earlier--it's not a secret what overworking, dehydration, and heat exhaustion can do to the human body regardless of the level of fitness of the individual. How is it the officials have no trouble making a ruling about whether or not a ball touched a monecule of border paint but are unable to perceive that 10 hours is far too long to allow a match to drag on?

I've had heat exhaustion and even sun poisoning back before there were good sun blocks on the market, so I have a slight comparison...the sun poisoning was at Disney World back in the days before they'd started Epcot. I'm pretty sure that both men were beyond thinking of anything but hitting the next ball....but the judges sure weren't thinking either.

Kudos to whoever stopped the match.

Somehow I underestimated the ability of a BNet poster to find negativity in this story.  Silly me.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2010 - 9:21AM #7
TemplarS

Well, sure, it's a lot  healthier to sit home and watch tennis on the TV.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2010 - 12:57PM #8
Agnosticspirit

Outstanding achievement, thanks for sharing coachbob. 

I expect world class athletes to push the envelope... They're in constant training, in excellent physical condition, they know how to keep themselves hydrated to decrease the risk of impairment when they exert themselves so much. This is one of the reasons I like to watch the Winter Olympics. 

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2010 - 1:54PM #9
Ebon

My Lord! I'd heard of wrestling matches going 10 hours (back when wrestling was a competative sport) but high-level tennis for ten hours...! You have to stand up and salute that kind of endurance.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 03, 2010 - 1:21PM #10
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope
Beliefnet Community Host
Hot Topics Zone

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook