Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4
Switch to Forum Live View PCNAA - better known as The Internet Kill Switch
4 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2010 - 11:12AM #31
Christianlib

Jun 29, 2010 -- 10:57AM, Marcion wrote:

Look at all the political hoopla and funding that went to DARPA for Neural Net research in the 80's; it turned out to be nothing but a lot of fluff.

Politics and funding do not guarantee success, that comes from hard work by committed scientists like the UCLA team.

Uh, "UCLA" stand for "University of California at Las Angeles."  It is a STATE university, largely tax supported, and therefore one of those "governmental" entities you seem to distrust.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2010 - 11:20AM #32
Ebon

Jun 29, 2010 -- 10:57AM, Marcion wrote:

Look at all the political hoopla and funding that went to DARPA for Neural Net research in the 80's; it turned out to be nothing but a lot of fluff.

Politics and funding do not guarantee success, that comes from hard work by committed scientists like the UCLA team.

Not disputing any of that but funding helps a great deal.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2010 - 2:43PM #33
Marcion

Ah yes the power of the purse. It guarantees mediocre government employees a nomination for society fellow (I have first hand knowledge of this), conference chairs, keynote speakers, etc, etc.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2010 - 3:12PM #34
Ebon

Ah, now I get it. Partisan spite.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2010 - 3:08PM #35
Hatman
Given the USG's proven propensity to engage in "false flag" ops, giving the USG the power to selectively terminate or delete websites due to some trumped-up(or actual) "emergency" is extremely stupid, and i hope that any and every internet user works with enough IT professionals to be able to almost immediately circumvent this "law," should it become one.

The Constitution does not in any way authorize the Federal Government this power, ergo any such "law" would be Unconstitutional.

An Unconstitutional "law" is void, invalid, of no force or effect; it is also, by definition, Unlawful, therefore ILlegal, therefore CRIMINAL, and every mother's son who votes for this crap ought to be immediately arrested for felony perjury/Oathbreaking, tried, convicted, heavily fined, and forbidden any office of public trust again for being too stupid to know their Constitutional limitations---limitations they voluntarily and completely agreed to abide by by virtue of that same Oath of Office.  Same or similar for any fool who dares carry out orders based on clearly Unconstitutional "laws," which of course are no laws at all.

If the Federal Government WANTS this power, there is an Amendment procedure clearly outlined in the Constitution to which the individual agents thereof swore their fealty; let them see if the States are willing to roll over and surrender the Rights of their Citizens on the Fed's whim...FIRST.

With goodwill to all the People-

Hatman
"History records that the moneychangers have used every form of abuse, deceit, intrigue, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and it's issuance."
-- James Madison(1751-1836), Father of the Constitution for the USA, 4th US President
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2010 - 10:50PM #36
Ebon

Jun 30, 2010 -- 3:08PM, Hatman wrote:

Given the USG's proven propensity to engage in "false flag" ops, giving the USG the power to selectively terminate or delete websites due to some trumped-up(or actual) "emergency" is extremely stupid, and i hope that any and every internet user works with enough IT professionals to be able to almost immediately circumvent this "law," should it become one.

Hat, just need to correct a misconception here. What they're talking about is not removing individual websites (there's already a procedure for doing that if they break the law). What's being discussed is the power to shut off internet access for the United States, probably through some kind of national content filter of the kind China currently uses.

And that's why it likely wouldn't work. China's firewall is under attack pretty much constantly. Hackers are a mischevous bunch and they/we don't like censorship. It's probably academic anyway. The client-server model of distributed computing has gone almost as far as it can. Within a few years, we'll have reconfigured the network in such a way that any attempt to shut off The Signal is doomed to failure.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2010 - 3:28PM #37
Marcion

Jun 29, 2010 -- 3:12PM, Ebon wrote:

Ah, now I get it. Partisan spite.

No, just exercising the right to speak freely in retirement.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2010 - 12:35AM #38
Hatman

Jun 30, 2010 -- 10:50PM, Ebon wrote:

Jun 30, 2010 -- 3:08PM, Hatman wrote:

Hat, just need to correct a misconception here. What they're talking about is not removing individual websites (there's already a procedure for doing that if they break the law). What's being discussed is the power to shut off internet access for the United States, probably through some kind of national content filter of the kind China currently uses.

And that's why it likely wouldn't work. China's firewall is under attack pretty much constantly. Hackers are a mischevous bunch and they/we don't like censorship. It's probably academic anyway. The client-server model of distributed computing has gone almost as far as it can. Within a few years, we'll have reconfigured the network in such a way that any attempt to shut off The Signal is doomed to failure.

Thanks for the additional info, Ebon.
So the ostensible purpose of this bill is to prevent anyone outside America from contacting websites/sending-receiving emails to and from any sites physically located within America?

Basically, throwing up a firewall around CONUS, Hawaii, and Alaska?  So Americans would still have access to sites situated in any of the States of the Union, but not outside?

If so, i apologize for my misunderstanding, but even so, i don't trust the pinheads and beancounting knuckledraggers of the USG as far as i can heave the Jefferson Memorial.

Especially given info received recently from the DVD "Police State IV: The Rise of FEMA."

Once the switchover to digital teevee took place, i've grown rather fond of most of the news coverage from Al Jazeera, as they seem far more balanced and inclined to give more pertinent detail/honest background than the current corporate teevee infotainment sludge presently being ladled out for mass consumption by US media conglomerates; in the event of any declared "emergency," terminating access to ALL outside CONUS news sources seems tyrannical and despotic in the extreme, but maybe that's just me; after all, gov't politicians and allied corporate slugs can be trusted to protect America, 'cuz they've always done so...

With goodwill to all the People-

Hatman

"History records that the moneychangers have used every form of abuse, deceit, intrigue, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and it's issuance."
-- James Madison(1751-1836), Father of the Constitution for the USA, 4th US President
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 28, 2010 - 8:00AM #39
Agnosticspirit

This thread has been moved from Hot Topics Zone

-- agnosticspirit - Bnet community cohost HTZ

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook