Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Blown Major League Baseball umpire call
4 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2010 - 11:37AM #11
TemplarS

Well, balls and strikes are an entirely different thing altogether. Everybody knows that the strike zone is subjective, changes with umpires (or even the same umpire on different days), and shifts over time. 

This is, ironically, the one area where technology (part from instant replay) could have a huge impact.  One would think that these days, it would not be hard to develop some sort of electronic system for accurately judging balls and strikes.  But given that the protean nature of the strike zone may be part of what gives baseball its charm, I doubt that this will ever happen. 

Same thing with tightening up on the phantom double play.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2010 - 2:29PM #12
Christianlib

True, in some ways, Temp.  Balls and Strikes are "different."  But a stike call, or non-strike call, at exactly the right point in the game could precisely affect a "perfect game."

Thus, my illustration.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2010 - 11:53AM #13
coachbob

I believe Selig did the right thing.  I probably would not have objected if he followed Templar's advice (he could us his "best interest of baseball" powers) but if he set that precedent, the next commissioner may set a new one, and we get on a slippery slope where games get decided in the executive suite rather than on the field.

I'm sure Bill Buckner would have loved to have the freedom to have his error declared a ground out; I'm sure Bob Moose would have loved to get his wild pitch back, etc.  The sad truth is, we all make mistakes every day, and being forced to live with the consequences helps insure we make fewer mistakes tomorrow. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2010 - 11:54AM #14
coachbob

Jun 7, 2010 -- 2:29PM, Christianlib wrote:

But a stike call, or non-strike call, at exactly the right point in the game could precisely affect a "perfect game."

And probably has

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2010 - 11:59AM #15
coachbob

Chuck Colson has a nice commentary about the call and the aftermath.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2010 - 12:13PM #16
Nepenthe

There is absolutely no intelligent reason why the call should not be officially reversed and a perfect game awarded. 

They knew, as fact, that the guy was out, within seconds of the play.  That is the level of technology we are at, and it is absurd that it is not applied.

Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2010 - 12:17PM #17
Christianlib

Jun 8, 2010 -- 12:13PM, Nepenthe wrote:

There is absolutely no intelligent reason why the call should not be officially reversed and a perfect game awarded. 

They knew, as fact, that the guy was out, within seconds of the play.  That is the level of technology we are at, and it is absurd that it is not applied.

I'm afraid I disagree.  I do not favor the Art of Baseball subjected to the tyranny of technology.

But that's strictly a personal opinion, born from glorious summer days of The Game, recalled in mellow contemplation.  I sure wouldn't take up the "cause" and argue about it.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2010 - 5:12PM #18
appy20

I played baseball as a kid and have enjoyed watching it in the past. I don't get many televised games now with my antenna as I did when I had cable.  I think baseball definitely has a cerebral element to it. However, I did get disgusted with all of the doping going on in the sport.  So, this incident is very refreshing.  I do admire both parties.

CLIB is right.  It all comes out in the wash.  Errors do balance out.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2010 - 11:45PM #19
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope
Beliefnet Community Host
Hot Topics Zone

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook