Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Blown Major League Baseball umpire call
4 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2010 - 5:01PM #1
Jeanninehunter

Blown call by Major League Baseball umpire Jim Joyce cost Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga a perfect game Wednesday. (Joyce and Galarraga at the plate <--class act!)

"As Jim Joyce said in his postgame comments, there is no dispute that last night's game should have ended differently," MLB Commissioner Bud Selig said in a statement Thursday. "While the human element has always been an integral part of baseball, it is vital that mistakes on the field be addressed."

According to Bailey Stephens of MLB.com, Selig "has the power to overturn the incorrect call at first base, he did not specifically address that possibility in the statement. Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski told The Associated Press that the team will not ask for the call to be changed."

The incident makes me wonder: Has there ever been a call that you've blown in your life that you wish you could do over? 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2010 - 5:22PM #2
Christianlib

This story is basically over.  Both the player and the ump have acted in very classy ways.  And, they met, shook hands and made nice at home plate before today's game.

The game is human.  That's one of the beautiful things about it.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2010 - 6:03PM #3
Jeanninehunter

Consolation prize: Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga receives a Corvette prior to Thursday's game with the Cleveland Indians.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2010 - 7:35PM #4
jane2

Jun 3, 2010 -- 5:22PM, Christianlib wrote:

This story is basically over.  Both the player and the ump have acted in very classy ways.  And, they met, shook hands and made nice at home plate before today's game.

The game is human.  That's one of the beautiful things about it.

The civilty of all involved impressed me. Nice to see in this age of rage.

I love baseball, have since I was a kid all those decades ago. I've even liked some of the melees when dugouts empty. Have a picture of my youngest daughter at ten with George Brett: he told her she was "cute". She had seen him play several times at Royal's Stadium; in those days in the seventies it cost us $50 for box seats and all the baseball park junkfood our three kids could get down. Brett is probably my all-time fave. Have followed the Braves through think and thin in our many years in Atlanta.

My son-in-law promises to take me to a Dodger's game in LA when I visit so I can have a Dodger-Dog.     Smile

I also have a picture of my kids, cousins, yada, yada at kid's cap day at Royal's Stadium. My bro-in-law bought a box and a half. Every kid is wearing a woolen Royal's cap and everyone of them is stuffing their faces with hot dogs, cotton candy: a very happy day.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2010 - 7:52PM #5
jane2

Jun 3, 2010 -- 6:03PM, Jeanninehunter wrote:

Consolation prize: Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga receives a Corvette prior to Thursday's game with the Cleveland Indians.

I'm glad you posted this story. If you hadn't, I would have because of the decency of it.

Football reigns on tv, but many of us love baseball and "the boys of summer".

Do you love baseball ?? My bro-i-law who decades ago bought that box and a half of tickets for family and extended family has long maintained that football is better on tv and baseball better in the park: a good assessment for me. Our families have gone to stadia for professional football and baseball games.

This past week-end our Braves beat the Phillies and exchanged first place rights. We loved it here. Long season ahead, though.

Wink

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2010 - 8:27PM #6
TemplarS

Well, Jane, I'm an old fan too (you remember, boo on George Brett!).

But I must disagree here.  I'm not actually sure Selig has the power to over-rule the call.  But if he has, he should.  There would be no losers should he do so.  To have the power to right a wrong, when doing do would harm no one, and to choose not to do so out of respect for "tradition", or whatever, garners no respect in my book.

Most other famous erroneous or disputed calls have affected the outcomes of games, which is quite another thing.

But here?  Do the right thing.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2010 - 9:27PM #7
jane2

Jun 3, 2010 -- 8:27PM, TemplarS wrote:

Well, Jane, I'm an old fan too (you remember, boo on George Brett!).

But I must disagree here.  I'm not actually sure Selig has the power to over-rule the call.  But if he has, he should.  There would be no losers should he do so.  To have the power to right a wrong, when doing do would harm no one, and to choose not to do so out of respect for "tradition", or whatever, garners no respect in my book.

Most other famous erroneous or disputed calls have affected the outcomes of games, which is quite another thing.

But here?  Do the right thing.

Hi Templar

You old Yankee fan. (Boo on Reggie Jackson back atcha.)

You could be very right about this. In fact, I think you are. Letting this stand serves no one.

J.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2010 - 11:52AM #8
David

considering how rare blown calls are in baseball, it's remarkable.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2010 - 8:49PM #9
Stardove

Jun 5, 2010 -- 11:52AM, David wrote:

considering how rare blown calls are in baseball, it's remarkable.

Maybe in professional baseball, but I've witnessed plenty of bad calls in Little League baseball.  Sealed

By the way I don't know if you are serious or making a joke, since I only watch my grand-son (now 13) play since he started with T-ball.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2010 - 11:14AM #10
Christianlib

And, though this blown call was evident and glaring, what isn't discussed is that the "blown" calls tend to average out, in favor of a player and team, against a player and team.

Because not EACH call in the entire game, including Balls and Strikes has been, or can be reviewed, we don't know for sure what may have happened earlier in the game.

Maybe, just maybe, the only reason he had a "perfect game" going was that he got the benefit of a bad strike call earlier in the game.  There is no way to know.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook